squarepusher

mpc

wasteman
"Talking of the Pusha, he actually appears at the very end of the second megamix, with his junglizm parody 'Full Rinse' (feat MC Twin Dub--ho ho ho, very satirical you sad little man, you're not even a footnote m8 you will not be remembered, truly shameful that even for a little while back there you were more known than Bizzy B or Remarc [the latter has about five top killatunes on Wired For Sound), although that-ranted, the Pusha track actually fits fairly well with the general vibe of total over-the-topness and doesn't stick out overly."

poor old squarepusher. just cos his brother has long hair like a lady.

D

droid

He's a bit of a hate figure now really. Being a wanker doesn't help I guess. Still, made some amazing tunes and doesn't deserve half the criticism.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

D

droid

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

john eden

male pale and stale
I liked the first LP and the early twelves on Warp and that label Ambient Soho did.

Saw him around 97 at Glastonbury at about 11:00am (it was my birthday, yay!) and he was absolutely pissed out of his head, playing mashed up breaks and samples and barely holding it together. Which made for quite a mad start to the day.

It was quite endearingly bonkers, but I basically ignored him after that.

Is he well known for being a wanker?

mms

sometimes
He never quite fulfilled the expectations of going beyond the breakbeat stuff into some new form of music loosely related to jazz, he was always too rigid and grey, in alot of ways, kind of trapped in an emotional cliche. Some great tunes in his catalogue, but so many amen tracks that sound exactly the same too, buffed up with lots of artistic pretension and arseyness. He is occasionally dazzling though.

connect_icut

I always thought that Squarepusher was the perfect example of the difference between "intelligent" music and "clever" music. To me, Squarepusher sounds merely clever whereas - say - Rhythim is Rhythim sounds more genuinely "intelligent". Clever music can be fun, though and a lot of the Squarepusher hate seems a bit knee-jerk. He's certainly deep in the Black Hole of Cool, that's for sure.

mms

sometimes
I always thought that Squarepusher was the perfect example of the difference between "intelligent" music and "clever" music. To me, Squarepusher sounds merely clever whereas - say - Rhythim is Rhythim sounds more genuinely "intelligent". Clever music can be fun, though and a lot of the Squarepusher hate seems a bit knee-jerk. He's certainly deep in the Black Hole of Cool, that's for sure.

i think its stuff like this:
http://acrospective.blogspot.com/2008/10/squarepushers-manifesto.html

Misanthropic and spectacularly pompous, self regarding bullshit vs the music he actually puts out, which is sometimes pretty great mostly so-so, that makes people dislike him so much.

Last edited:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Is he well known for being a wanker?

Dunno about that. Is that the rep he's gained? I had quite a chat with him at a Big Chill we were DJing and he seemed like a decent bloke. Apart from that, only saw him 'live' at a private party...way before he became some kind of darling amongst, um, 'famous' people, so perhaps that's gone to his head. Like you, John, I paid attention to and enjoyed his early stuff because it did seem fresh. Didn't keep track though.

I was never a fan, don't even know many of his tunes, but Beepstreet is still one of my favourite melancholic soul pride workouts

JWoulf

no one should have to listen to pretentious bass jazz. but everyone should have to listen to this: