Vitamin tablets

swears

preppy-kei
Is this nature or technology? Dunno.

Anyways, I don't really eat that well, and I was wondering if these were actually of any use at all. I take a multivitamin every morning and I feel ok, I don't have scurvy or anything. Considering I only the only fruit and veg I get is peas and carrots with my dinner and the odd apple.

martin

----
According to the health report (the now infamous one last week, ie don't eat bacon, don't drink etc) you should avoid vitamin tablets and instead pick up real fruit and veg, vitamins through food sources etc. However, that's just what the scientists say, I can't comment. Every time I have bought a pack of 60 tablets in a fit of guilt I've forgotten to take them 5 or 6 days in

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If you can't be arsed to eat fruit and veg, drinking fruit juice is a good compromise. It's not quite the same since different fruit and veg have different nutrients, which a lot of people don't seem to realise since the Gubbermint started pushing this slightly childish "five a day" thing, but it's a lot better than nothing. Much easier to drink than water when you're hung over, too.

Also, tea appears to be almost infinitely good for you.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Also, tea appears to be almost infinitely good for you.
Are we to trust your impartiality on this?

The thing I've always heard about vitamin supplements is that with the lower quality (budget) ones most of it goes straight through without being absorbed. Worth paying a bit extra or getting one of liquid form products - if they're still legal seeing as the drug lobby don't particularly like healthy and happy people.

mms

sometimes
they make you shit, the really strong dose stuff is good for fending off hangovers and minor lehargy, but they're not really that good for you.

N

nomadologist

Vitamin tablets are voodoo, they do nothing except sit in your organs and potentially damage them.

Eat nutritious food instead. If you need to shoot B-12, ok. Otherwise it's nonsense to put vitamins and minerals tabs in your stomach and expect them to do anything but work themselves out your ass.

zhao

there are no accidents
to elaborate your body is able to abosorb about 2% of the vitamins contained in any tablet.

it's all about raw, green veggies (or veggie juice for me).

Is this nature or technology? Dunno.

Anyways, I don't really eat that well, and I was wondering if these were actually of any use at all. I take a multivitamin every morning and I feel ok, I don't have scurvy or anything. Considering I only the only fruit and veg I get is peas and carrots with my dinner and the odd apple.

Finding something convenient like a Vit tab that will enable you to continue eating badly :cool:?

The other posters are right about Vitamin supplements; they're really only of any significance in an extreme emergency, where Vit deficiency is bordering on the chronic.

Really, the issue is always about how to effortlessly develop reasonably healthy eating habits that seemlessly integrate into your everyday routines and rituals.

At the most material, humdrum level, be sure to start your day with a REALLY BIG banana, always, just insist on it - its the most versatile, convenient, cheap and portable fruit around, and no worry about poisonous insecticides etc on the surface: this alone will provide you with a huge proportion of your vit/min needs for the day, in addition to its food value [it also gives a pleasant serotonin boost, as does brown rice and pork, but that's another story]. Or whenever someone has the oven on at circa 200C, throw in a banana for around twenty minutes: roast whole banana, like roast whole pepper, is deliciously second to none. A habit that, surely, is so much easier to master than all that nervous-neurotic tablet-supplement shite? Hey hey with the monkeys!

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Winter is good for eating loads of veg conveniently.

Cook up huge pots of soups or casseroles on Sunday and eat well with minimum effort all week.

swears

preppy-kei
Good posts, mostly similar to the advice I've got off people IRL:

"Just eat properly, you muppet!"

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I asked some med student friends about this when I studied (ages ago) and they basically said that the body is very good at picking up what it does need and getting rid of what it does not need and there's no harm in taking vitamin pills.

Now they might have been indoctrinated and what have you,
but since I cannot eat pears/apples etc I pop a pill every morning along with
some cod liver oil and try to have some other fruit/berries/juices during the day
and don't worry about it.

On the scale of bad food surely vitamin pills must come a long way down.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
At the most material, humdrum level, be sure to start your day with a REALLY BIG banana, always, just insist on it - its the most versatile, convenient, cheap and portable fruit around, and no worry about poisonous insecticides etc on the surface: this alone will provide you with a huge proportion of your vit/min needs for the day, in addition to its food value [it also gives a pleasant serotonin boost, as does brown rice and pork, but that's another story].

Yes! I do this every day. Plus U.S. cartels keep them cheaper than anything else in the store -- 39 cents a pound! Also nice for hangovers.

Yes! I do this every day. Plus U.S. cartels keep them cheaper than anything else in the store -- 39 cents a pound! Also nice for hangovers.

Oh no! It's supposed to be a global 'free market' with invisible hand price determination! Though I hear that the term 'Banana Republic', when not smirkingly used as a pejoratively classist dismissal of poor, agrarian-dependent third-world victims of western corporate colonialism [very popular in the history of pop too, what with Bananarama and that whining Geldof dirge], is now invoked [especially by the cult-stud brigade :cool:] to refer to the micro-revolutionary potential of 'banana' as the latest happening colour in the fashion industry.

Though Pablo Neruda had a different take:

La United Fruit Co.

When the trumpet sounded, everything
on earth was prepared
and Jehovah distributed the world
to Coca Cola Inc., Anaconda,
Ford Motors and other entities:
The Fruit Company Inc.
reserved the juiciest for itself,
the central coast of my land,
the sweet waist of America.
It re-baptized the lands
"Banana Republics"
and on the sleeping dead,
on the restless heroes
who'd conquered greatness,
liberty and flags,
it founded a comic opera:
it alienated free wills,
gave crowns of Caesar as gifts,
unsheathed jealousy, attracted
the dictatorship of the flies,
Trujillo flies, Tachos flies,
Carias flies, Martinez flies,
Ubico flies, flies soppy
with humble blood and marmelade,
drunken flies that buzz
around common graves,
circus flies, learned flies
adept at tyranny.

The Company disembarks
among the blood-thirsty flies,
brim-filling their boats that slide
with the coffee and fruit treasure
of our submerged lands like trays.

Meanwhile, along the sugared up
abysms of the ports,
indians fall over, buried
in the morning mist:
a body rolls, a thing
without a name, a fallen number,
a bunch of dead fruit
spills into the pile of rot.

He forgot to mention the CIA, but then so did Woody Allen ...

swears

preppy-kei
I think I might just start sticking a load of veg in a liquidiser and drinking it in one big gulp in the morning, seems a lot easier than munching veg all day. Is this a good idea, or is spending ages chomping through a load of veg somehow better for you?

Client Eastwood

Veg juice is nice. Theres that V7 stuff I have occasionly with some tabasco or soy sauce thrown in. I wish I had the patience to juice my own veg, Ive heard that the problem with juicing is that the suger is released much more quickly than it would be with chomping at them.

Another good way is compromise between the two and do grating, quick and easy and less cleaning up. Plus they'll absorb flavors a lot more easily. Grated carrots are great as are turnips and easy to prep.

L

LoraHup

Vitamin ta

Hello all
My name Kim and surname Volen
Me interests concerning my health.....
You accept 5 tablets in day?.......
You Buy the big packings of tablets?.......
For example on 47 pieces in packing?......
Whether me interests harmfully to accept many tablets in day.....
Forgive for my bad English - I am afraid for health of my family....

Thanks.....

zhao

there are no accidents
I think I might just start sticking a load of veg in a liquidiser and drinking it in one big gulp in the morning, seems a lot easier than munching veg all day. Is this a good idea, or is spending ages chomping through a load of veg somehow better for you?

no the juice contains most of the nutrition. while a good salad can be delish, i'm a huge fan of veggie juice. for one thing it's very efficient: you can consume like 5 times the amount of vitamins drinking rather than eating veggies. and its all fresh, much easier for body to absorb.

i will get a pro juicer someday. don't ever get the cheap ones, pain in the ass. worth it to get one upwards of 200 euros, like an industrial restaurant grade one. amazing.