new york end of 60's music scene

sing_minimal

if someone asked you about nyc music scene in the second half of the sixties what woul you tell them? first thing that comes on your mind..

sing_minimal

HAHA! im definitelly asking this question on a wrong site. im about to write something on them, are there any good sites with some obscure info on them somewhere?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's one band I can think of, I don't want to give it away but their name rhymes with melvet punderground.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Stonewall.

I asked an old queer Manhattanite about it once "Wow, so were you at Stonewall?" "Hell no, I was round the corner in the punk club with a mohican listening to the Stooges, none of us ever went there".

N

nomadologist

haha yeah nobody really listened to any of that stuff at the time

I don't mind some of Silver Apples vocals...some are really annoying though urite

Suicide is better imo

dominic

Beast of Burden
salsa music -- willie colon, st george hotel -- wasn't there a j lo movie about this recently???

continental baths

the village vanguard

cafe wha?

max's kansas city

zhao

there are no accidents
Latin%20Soul%20-%20The%20Sweeter%20Side%20of%202.jpg

sing_minimal

HAHA i read this interview with simeon and loved the part where he speaks of blue cheer gig they witnessed; "Once, too, we were on the bill in Chicago with Blue Cheer. Blue Cheer was not only the name of a dishwashing detergent but of a particular type of acid going around at the time. They had the reputation of being the loudest rock and roll band in the world. They had stacks of Marshall amps that lined the whole back of the stage. When we walked into the hall and saw that, we were quite impressed. After all, that was the point, I'm sure. We were to go on after them so we set up our gear off to one side, minuscule by comparison, ran through a sound check then went to the dressing room. Everybody shared the same dressing room. The Blue Cheer guys were snorting speed like crazy getting ready to go on and when they were ready they broke out the cotton balls and started stuffing their ears with great wads of the stuff, using pencils to pack it in. Danny and Barry and I gave each other the silent signal that meant, this is gonna be good, lets go watch, so we crawled under the curtains and hid behind the stacks of Marshalls. They lit into their first number which sounded like a tornado had hit the building and Danny crawled over to where he could see the drummer. He started laughing and waved me over. I crawled over and stuck my head around the corner of a stack and we could see him in profile. It was easy to read his lips, even though it was impossible to hear him over the roar. You couldn't even hear the PA system for that matter. He was screaming at the top of his lungs "Turn it the fuck down you stupid shitheads! I told I was quittin' if you did this again! I quit! You stupid fuckheads! You hear me? I quit!!!" This went on, non-stop through the whole set, which was this hour-long version of their hit, 'Summertime Blues', plus all the other riffs they knew. The house PA system was this gigantic surround-sound affair and you absolutely could not hear even a trace of it. We looked over at Barry and he was laughing and waving us over his way, so we crawled over and he pointed to the audience. Out of several thousand people that had previously occupied the hall, there were only about 15 totally spaced out people lying on the floor in the very back- and everybody else had gone out onto the sidewalk! The band played on, the drummer screamed his head off, and nobody but those 15 heard anything but the roaring tornado inside the building. When their set was over, everybody came back inside."

this must be the most amusing gig review i've ever read haha

i wonder how it was like compared to lightning bolt for example..anyone experienced both? : )

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
for sure there were a lot of interesting records made in france by them (and others) for BYG, buth albums like these:

Albert Ayler - In Greenwich Village 1966/67
Albert Ayler - Music Is The Healing Force Of The Universe 1969
Sonny Sharrock - Black Woman 1969
Pharoah Sanders - Izipho Zam 1969 (balance)
Don Cherry - Symphony For Improvisers 1966, new jersey

were all recorded in NY. Izipho Zam is particularly good, the track Balance is like a jazz Velvet Underground, its great

Final two Ayler records ("New Grass" & "Music Is...") weren't Free Jazz at all, IMHO. Love Izipho Zam, though.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Balance rules.

What's that story about Simeon getting arrested in Central Park for making art by randomly dropping apples off a children's slide? Can't remember where I read that.

vimothy

yurp
whether it's free jazz or not, i still like it. actually, i very much like the crossover albums free jazz artists like ayler and archie shepp made, they were accused of selling out at the time, but i cant see how you can label this music too commercial.

I can agree with that but still find those specific Ayler records to be pretty unlistenable. Other stuff, though, like Mu, by Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell, with its East / West mix, is heavenly - especially the wooden flute sections.

zhao

there are no accidents
I can agree with that but still find those specific Ayler records to be pretty unlistenable. Other stuff, though, like Mu, by Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell, with its East / West mix, is heavenly - especially the wooden flute sections.

this is the one:

ALBERTAYLER.jpg

steve lacy also did some wild stuff in NYC at the time... all those live at some loft recordings. must've been exciting.

vimothy

yurp
this is the one:

Yeah, I've got it but I don't listen to it.

steve lacy also did some wild stuff in NYC at the time... all those live at some loft recordings. must've been exciting.

Which reminds me: Wildflowers! (Though that was in the '70s, of course). If anyone has the box set and wants to upload it... ;)