blaqstarr

gumdrops

is this guy really as good as hes being made out to be? only early stages yet i know but im going to say yes. im pretty excited to hear more of his stuff. all i have so far is the imbanging mix, supastarr ep and drop the lime but from what ive read theres quite a few other mix cds out there, i just cant seem to find a way to get them (theres loads of various songs and productions too but downloading them all has been tricky).

the main thing that bugs me about him predictably is that hes signed to diplos mad decent label which might get him some extra hipsterati buzz but i dont know how good thats going to be in the long run considering diplo only seems to associate himself and/or his label with people like bonde do role who do admittedly get a lot of press coverage and bookings (inexplicably) but are mostly still gimmicky douchbags. blaqstarr actually seems to be someone who diplo has signed and got himself involved with who isnt a gimmick so i wonder if he will do as well as BDR or MIA.

ps - his automatic lover is like burial if he made bmore club.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
He is that good, at least now I think... I like the "Burial of Bmore"... his shit is so -- spacious! What is the imbanging mix? I've got some untitled 30-odd track mixtape with some less-than-successful straightup hip hop productions at the end. I can up it to something here in a few mins.

Re: Diplo: Putting out a record on some dude's label doesn't make you his bitch. I was kind of set up to diss on Superstarr even though I really liked "Get My Gun" and some other tracks of his, but I was really impressed, so now I'm a big booster. I also enjoyed his track on the MIA album.

And he produced Young Leek - Shake and Jiggle It... As referenced on The Wire!

hint

party record with a siren
Blaqstarr is great.

Being bugged by the fact that he's had an EP out on Mad Decent is dumb.

A couple of extra bits are available through The Unruly Store.

Check out Karizma too, if you haven't already, particularly "A Drumz Nightmare".

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
Blaqstarr is great.

Being bugged by the fact that he's had an EP out on Mad Decent is dumb.

A couple of extra bits are available through The Unruly Store.

Check out Karizma too, if you haven't already, particularly "A Drumz Nightmare".

he's ok...

i have that EP on Mad Decent... it's all right, the first track w/ the female vox is nice...

i don't think it's anything amazing, but it is a cut above your standard "loop 2 bars of hip hop, add "sing sing" and "think" drumloops and proceed for 6 minutes" B-more stuff...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i think he's pretty good. hey mutha fuckers is a really great track and not spacious at all — actually pretty claustrophobic. i don't get the burial comparison at all. burial is made for home listening, whereas this is total ass music, all about dancing. you should check out kw griff and rod lee productions if you like him. also snap up any technics mixes you can get your hands on, especially the "clean club" series that he makes for kids! my favourite bmore artist for mixes, though, is k-swift. she plays the toughest and most uncompromisingly out of any of them and she's a really lovely person, too. the site appears to be working now.