F L O O D S

N

nomadologist

Haven't seen Flood, but the thought of the distinct possibility that there could one day be a flood in Brooklyn/NYC fills me with dread. The water would just be disgusting, everyone would get nasty diseases!

I've noticed lately that flood insurance is being advertised very hard on TV and billboards--I have no idea whether this is one of those insurance deals where the odds of needing it are not sufficient to justify the cost, but it makes me wonder whether there are more floods these days than there were in the past couple hundred years? Or maybe it's just an attempt to capitalize on the media spectacle surrounding the tsunami and the Katrina?

If anyone has the info I'd be interested in hearing....stay safe Mistersloane!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'm Ok I live on the hill, but was just alerting people to the possibility that what was an awful piece of tripe Tv may in fact be an awful piece of propaganda, it's essentially about a tidal wave that gets out of hand at the new moon tide in london....which is tomorrow. The whole of the Uk has now been put on - according to all major news sites - big time flood alert and it seems like a 10 ft tidal wave is gonna wipe out on Anglia at least. In the film it doesn't stop, and London is flooded. I in no way think this may be likely, but am - actually quite a bit - alarmed at the similarities even though I read New Scientist too. But I'm more alarmed at the fact that if it does come true, then I was alerted by one of the most poorly made, atrocious pieces of video work I've ever seen, I genuinely don't want the apocalypse to be bad TV, I'm an aesthete.

N

nomadologist

Ahh I see. Gotta see Flood!

Mistersloane is highly quotable--the quote Gavin is pillaging is now one of my all-time favorites. Second only to the one about nobody wanting modernism!!

N

nomadologist

For some reason the apocalypse quote kind of reminds me of that one Douglas Coupland novel where it ends with the apocalypse happening while the character is at the grocery store or something, and he looks up and sees the mushroom cloud and everyone is pretty nonchalant about.

Not that I like Douglas Coupland's work...Mistersloane is a million times brillianter :cool:

mistersloane

For some reason the apocalypse quote kind of reminds me of that one Douglas Coupland novel where it ends with the apocalypse happening while the character is at the grocery store or something, and he looks up and sees the mushroom cloud and everyone is pretty nonchalant about.

Not that I like Douglas Coupland's work...Mistersloane is a million times brillianter :cool:

When the bombs last happened in the UK, everyone was trying to ring each other, and no-one could get through, they'd switched all the frequencies off except emergency services - and those who know how to use them. The Apocalypse is just an engaged tone.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
573.jpg

I predict this style will be big next year.

Itchy & Scratchy

I haven't seen the movie Flood (can't say I plan to either) but I did read the book by Richard Doyle the film was based on a couple years ago. From what I've about the film, the book's an even more over the top affair. It includes the collision of an oil tanker into one the larger petrochemical factories that exist downstream of London which leads to a burning river of fire fuelled by the floating oil slick and petrol and the like that rides the storm surge toward London. :eek:.... :rolleyes:

The author made this website to accompany the book.

In Docklands with its high rise buildings and international business this will be critical. Firms may find it easier to relocate to Paris or Frankfurt. London could lose its status as the financial centre of Europe.

The result of all this is likely to be a deep and long lasting recession with the possiblity that London may never regain its pre-flood status. Globally there will be winners and losers. Many countries have investments in the U.K. which would suffer, others would benefit from the reduced competition. This is all supposing the the international insurance industry is able to cover claims. If not, the inevitable conclusion is financial meltdown.

DEFRA is refusing to admit, in public at least, that there are any problems with the present Barrier. In contrast, the EA is clearly concerned. This is a familiar pattern all over the country: the EA attempts to block building on flood plains, ministers or councillors support the developers.

A massive flood will take out the entire heart of government. Every ministry and major department will be forced to evacuate at short notice. Communications will be disrupted, data lost and key personnel unavailable. From interviews with senior officers and the study of procedural manuals, it is clear that while the Emergency Services are prepared for a major but contained incident, a terrorist bomb, an industrial accident, an airplane crashing on the city, they will be impossibly stretched in the event of serious and widespread tidal flooding.

The Met has its headquarters at New Scotland Yard. This falls within the flood zone so the Central Command Complex, including the Special Operations Room from which disasters are monitored, will have to move out to back-up facilities at the Police College, Hendon. All police vehicles within the zone will also be withdrawn.

(...)

An additional concern is the strain on the NHS. At least twenty of the capital's NHS and private hospitals are at risk of flooding and likely to lose power and sanitation. These hospitals will be unable to receive flood casualties and will experience problems with resident patients, particularly those in high dependency units.

Last edited:

mistersloane

I haven't seen the movie Flood (can't say I plan to either) but I did read the book by Richard Doyle the film was based on a couple years ago. From what I've about the film, the book's an even more over the top affair. It includes the collision of an oil tanker into one the larger petrochemical factories that exist downstream of London which leads to a burning river of fire fuelled by the floating oil slick and petrol and the like that rides the storm surge toward London. :eek:.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, really avoid the film at all costs, but that website is great.

mistersloane

wait, that's a famous line from some book or other isn't it?

May well be but wasn't aware of it, came from a conversation me and a journalist were having about our experiences of the 7/7 bomb in London, would be nice to know though.

zhao

there are no accidents
May well be but wasn't aware of it, came from a conversation me and a journalist were having about our experiences of the 7/7 bomb in London, would be nice to know though.

really can not determine if its my memory/imagination playing tricks or if i had actually read the phrase somewhere. i mean it so nicely encapsulates the micro and the macro, makes such an unlikely yet somehow intuitive connection between the personal and the global, and has such a nice surreal ring to it, that it certainly does sound like something someone like Virilio would use at the end of one of his tracts on technology, speed, and war... anyhow you should trademark it as soon as you can or Im going to steal it myself.

mistersloane

really can not determine if its my memory/imagination playing tricks or if i had actually read the phrase somewhere. i mean it so nicely encapsulates the micro and the macro, makes such an unlikely yet somehow intuitive connection between the personal and the global, and has such a nice surreal ring to it, that it certainly does sound like something someone like Virilio would use at the end of one of his tracts on technology, speed, and war... anyhow you should trademark it as soon as you can or Im going to steal it myself.

oh you and gavin on some bullshit. Used to happen to me alot that stuff, when I was younger I was well into aphorisms so studied alot of writers that used them, their construction, hence the way this chatting comes out I think. I come from a family of journalists - although not one myself -and I guess we were brought up with copy in mind.

I think aksing (Londonese for ask) if you can, don't threaten to TM is a good way of doing it. My last film was entirely made of up quotes from other people's work, if I knew them, I asked if I could have it - if someone said something that I liked I'd write it down, when they were there, I'd aks 'can I have that?'. Seemed a fair way to do it, if the quotes came from published sources - i.e. in a book or on a film (I personally wouldn't count the internet in that, there's still 'direct' contact) then I think it's there for the taking or using or re-appropriation.

I'd rather conduct conversations without references to copyrights with people, and is often a measure of where I eventually end up. I don't like it, and if this crap continues about TM-ing anything I'm out of here, way to get rid of a contributor. It's a fucking dumb oppressive thing to write, sorry guys.