facebook

ether

Having Joined up through sheer inquisitiveness, to find about what its all about, my suspicions have been confirmed, that pretty much anyone from the past I wanted to get in touch with is either a cave dwelling Luddite or Probably a member of some Waco style cult, therefore not having access to the internet.

The warning bell marked 'preening careerist narcissism' has been flashing ever since. The whole thing seems to be a dark social experiment, why would I want to 'catch up' with someone from School days who wouldn't have mustered a thimble full of piss if i where on fire, then, let a lone now.

This really is Friendship on the most lazy superficial level.

I don't like the way you cant look at peoples profiles unless your a member, or added to their friends. you cant use html in comments, the whole thing seems to be a restrictive elitist closed network.

Then again it was created by a bunch of Harvard students.

I rest my case.

N

nomadologist

It's weird everyone's on Facebook *now*. I joined at least 2-3 years ago, and it was hopping with everyone who thought they were too cool for Myspace, but then it just got boring and I stopped updating.

Just went on again for the first time in at least a year and found about a million friend requests from all sorts of people, including ex-coworkers. That's reason enough not to use it, imo.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
My friend created an account as a fictional character from an Altman movie. He has about 20 friends, and men who are asking him out for a drink....

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Just create an account using some pen name. Simple as that. I have two. :D

I have two profiles under my own name. They are in a relationship with each other.

Thinking about getting a third, but I'm really tired of social networking sites. I can't bear to check myspace any more; at least facebook is a little cleaner.

N

nomadologist

I have two profiles under my own name. They are in a relationship with each other.

Thinking about getting a third, but I'm really tired of social networking sites. I can't bear to check myspace any more; at least facebook is a little cleaner.

I have one for Vassar and one for New School, but the Vassar email account is long dead and I never get the notifications for anything.

I think Facebook has even douchier clubs, I keep getting invited to the dumbest shit. The advantage is that people who aren't your direct "friend" can't see your profile, but the downside is that Facebook represents "the real you" professionally and personally much more directly than Myspace does.

So it's harder to hind behind "oh it's just a joke about how many days I went without sleeping on speed in that comment!" And your relatives can find you more easily, too.

N

nomadologist

What on earth is the point? To shag people you knew at school/college...?

The point is for people to pose in their coolest clothes and make it look to everyone else that they have a "life"...I think.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The eagerness with which people are willing to throw away their privacy is absolutely shocking. There's a lecturer/tutor at my mum's uni who has become obsessed with using facebook to catch his students out at lying every time they try to worm there way out of a deadline with extenuating circumstances... he managed to prove that a girl who claimed she couldn't take her finals due to "severe depression" was actually on skiing holiday with her boyfriend at the time... as she left a picture of her on holiday dated on her facebook...

N

nomadologist

That's utterly ridiculous. Why and how could an educated person assume that going skiing precludes severe depression? It could have been a doctor's recommendation that she get some R&R and forego more stressful activities like exams.

I'm serious when I say this!

N

nomadologist

Btw Gavin I'm going to add you on Myspace, you better accept me! I took all the bad info off when all my little cousins found me, so it should be radio-edit enough not to be offensive.

I promise I won't write bulletins or get hacked and and put pictures of Coach bags in your comments every few hours.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
That's utterly ridiculous. Why and how could an educated person assume that going skiing precludes severe depression? It could have been a doctor's recommendation that she get some R&R and forego more stressful activities like exams.

I'm serious when I say this!
Even if you' not depressed it's going to be a bit tricky to sit exams while you are whizzing down a mountain. ;)

I've been trying to delete my myspace profile but the wretched thing won't go away. :mad:

Last edited:

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
The eagerness with which people are willing to throw away their privacy is absolutely shocking. There's a lecturer/tutor at my mum's uni who has become obsessed with using facebook to catch his students out at lying every time they try to worm there way out of a deadline with extenuating circumstances... he managed to prove that a girl who claimed she couldn't take her finals due to "severe depression" was actually on skiing holiday with her boyfriend at the time... as she left a picture of her on holiday dated on her facebook...

My prediction for the future: Facebook+Google+Monster.com+amazon where you will be compelled to sacrifice all yr privacy if you want friends/jobs/products... everyone will know everything you buy (people already offer this information voluntarily now), your qualifications, probably where you are at any moment (your "status").

I picture the ghost of Foucault masturbating furiously.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Btw Gavin I'm going to add you on Myspace, you better accept me! I took all the bad info off when all my little cousins found me, so it should be radio-edit enough not to be offensive.

I promise I won't write bulletins or get hacked and and put pictures of Coach bags in your comments every few hours.

I prefer free ipods and bigger dick pills

N

nomadologist

I didn't go on it for about 6 months and then there was enough new stuff to look at that I could kinda get into it.

N

nomadologist

You can always tell which of your friends were idiots enough to click on these bogus comments, because then they get hacked by the bot and start posting em.

I have been pretty surprised by some of the people who get outed as retards this way.

N

nomadologist

My prediction for the future: Facebook+Google+Monster.com+amazon where you will be compelled to sacrifice all yr privacy if you want friends/jobs/products... everyone will know everything you buy (people already offer this information voluntarily now), your qualifications, probably where you are at any moment (your "status").

I picture the ghost of Foucault masturbating furiously.

Roffle. There's already a YouTube/Google connection...

I love being "friends" with random dead philosophers--your myspace reminds me that I need to fix mine so I have more than a "top 8"...

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Yah, add YouTube and blogs and webmail to the list of the future internet portal gesamkunstwerk.

That's the contest for the internet, right? Have all the features on one portal so viewers never leave -- your company gets all their valuable clickthroughs and eyeball labor. Of course "features" =/= "information" which used to be what it was all about...

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I love being "friends" with random dead philosophers--your myspace reminds me that I need to fix mine so I have more than a "top 8"...

I am actually embarrassed about those (it's like wearing a pin of yr favorite theorist on yr messenger bag), but it's a decent solution to the tricky politics of ranking real friends.