Devo

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Any fans in the house? I've been reading a lot about these guys lately, but I know virtually none of their music - so where's a good place to start?

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Have you got the biog that came out a couple of years ago? I kept meaning to get it but it wasn't in the bookshop when I looked.

I love the early films. They did these themselves before recording their first LP with Brian Eno at Conny Plank's place.

/

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When I say "I know virtually nothing by them", I mean their actual music, not "know nothing about them". So I was just looking for tips on what's a good album to get first, or if there are any decent Best-Ofs floating around, sort of thing.

noel emits

No I gathered that. I put those videos up because I think that's the best place to start. The first couple of LPs (and the stuff they recorded before that) are the best bits for me. Also they are equally about the visuals and the concept so the vids are the key to it all I say.

So yeah: 'Q:Are We Not Men, A: We Are DEVO', 'Duty Now For The Future' and the Hardcore Devo Vols 1 & 2.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ahh, I see. Well, I don't, because the videos haven't appeared on my screen - this has been happening a lot lately, don't know if it's my browser being weird or a problem with Dissensus, or Youtube for that matter. :slanted:
Cheers anyway, I'll watch them when and if I can.

noel emits

Righto, just put the links in instead. Those embedded clips are big fuckers anyway, clogs up a thread a bit dunnit?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Bumflaps! They're still not playing, must be due to the OS 'upgrade' they did on this network recently.
Ah well, I'll watch 'em at home tonight, there's no sound on this PC anyway. Thanks again.

martin

----
I'd personally say blow off the LPs and just buy a copy of the Mongoloid / Jocko Homo 7", which is genuinely brilliant, but then I'm not a massive fan...

N

nomadologist

Mongoloid is a good song

i love how i misspelled that the first time. mongo loid she was a mongoloid!

Last edited:

dHarry

Bumflaps! They're still not playing, must be due to the OS 'upgrade' they did on this network recently.
Ah well, I'll watch 'em at home tonight, there's no sound on this PC anyway. Thanks again.
do you have the flash browser plugin?

there are many more great vids on youtube - whip it, mongoloid, satisfaction, that's good...

Really can't beat the debut album for me. It's their really only essential purchase in my mind; not really a stinker to be found.

I love the first three singles the most; (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is maybe the best Rolling Stones cover ever, really a complete re-imagining of the song, and of course Jocko Homo and Mongoloid are classics. I've always loved Gut Feeling too, especially the intro.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
yeah just get Mongoloid and then go straight to the Residents first album, why drink alcopops when you can have good brandy :S

soundslike1981

Definitely ups to the 'Hardcore Devo' series--much messier, uglier stuff there than what they're known for. But still dig the first few albums proper.

john eden

male pale and stale
Another vote for the first LP and the singles comp here.

Not heard everything by any means and need to get the second and some of the "hardcore devo comps".

I also have fond memories of the "Now it can be told" live LP, with the cover based on that mad book about de-evolution and monkey brain eating.

Has anyone heard "Dove" - Devo doing acoustic gospel stuff? Proper fanbwoy stuff but I really like the idea of it.