flash/actionscript

ether

teaching myself some flash at the mo, is it necessary to know actionscript, I'm kind of getting my head round the key frames/time line business, planning on using it for basic web design and motion work do I need to know it?

if so can anyone suggest an good books or tutorials?

dHarry

For simple design/animation you don't need it; it's used for user-event logic - (e.g. if user clicks x, do y, otherwise do z), calculation of mouse & movie-clip positions, numerical values etc., or interacting with databases etc. on the server side. So if you think you'll need this kind of stuff you will need it, otherwise tween away to your heart's content!

Woebot

i've always been a bit scared of the actionscript side of things but i'd like to crack the basics.

i think you'll still need to do things that involve it a little bit, like buttons "stop;" and all that.

zhao

there are no accidents
in addition to harry's input, it's also good for any kind of serious animation - because traditional key-frame based tweens make the movies heavy and sluggish - with actionscript you get the effortless, swift and light as a feather movements.

ether

i've always been a bit scared of the actionscript side of things but i'd like to crack the basics.

yeah all the books I've checked out seem to look impenetrably difficult and techy so I've been put of reading them.

can anyone recommend a good site for getting free components?