The Top 100 Cult Films Of The Internet Age (1996-) As compiled by Dart Adams

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
November has been film month on my blog Poisonous Paragraphs. The first 12 were posted on November 5th and nos. 13-32 were posted on Tuesday the 13th, 33-52 yesterday on Wednesday the 14th and just today 53-72 were posted. The list will continue until Saturday when the final 8 and some films that just missed the cut will be listed as well. Check out the first 72 films here:

http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/

One.

crackerjack

November has been film month on my blog Poisonous Paragraphs. The first 12 were posted on November 5th and nos. 13-32 were posted on Tuesday the 13th, 33-52 yesterday on Wednesday the 14th and just today 53-72 were posted. The list will continue until Saturday when the final 8 and some films that just missed the cut will be listed as well. Check out the first 72 films here:

http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/

One.

I'd love to, but your blog always either crashes my browser or takes about 10 minutes to load.

Looks like a list of films you like, though there's nothing wrong with that

The word "cult" when applied to film has become completely meaningless. It once meant a disregarded film that slowly accrued an audience/ reputation below the cultural radar. Here, as usual, it appears to mean slightly to the left of the mainstream.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Well...

Good list, but why 'the internet age'?

Because these are films that would've spread not only through word of mouth but by mentions in messageboards or online reviews. Add to it that since the internet. film fans have been able to more easily acquire hard to find or international films that they'd never get to see regularly. I also did it to set a limit for myself...otherwise Leon: The Professional, No Escape, Strange Days. etc. all would've made the list, too.

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Oh God...not this again!

one what?

Originally posted 5.06.2006 on the music board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepfan
and the meaning of "one"?

In the Northeastern part of the US (where Hip Hop culture originated and the aesthetic that hip hp purists refer to as "real hip hop" was formed) around 15 or 16 years ago, cats started saying "One Love" (like the Bob Marley song) at the end of songs or messages or letters and it soon expanded to phone calls. The meaning became expanded around 1992 to represent "One Love, One God, One Nation, One Destiny..." it became an all encompassing phrase hat represented the unification of Black people and Latinos through music, specifically urban music (reggae, R&B/Soul, Hip Hop/Rap). That meaning soon expanded to represent the unification of ALL PEOPLE through urban music once it maded serious headway into pop culture in the US as well as worldwide.

People often made variations on it like "One Hundred" (as in percent, how much they're willing to give to accomplish their goal). It got shortened it "One" around 1993 but it's been in use since at least late 1989. I've been saying it and hearing it since then. It's used often in hip hop (Nas' "One Love", Ghostface's "One", etc.) At the end of Jay Z's verse in "Crazy In Love" he says it if you pay attention. In the movie "Belly" starring Nas and DMX they use it about 50 times alone...it's a common word to me so I'm often surprised when people ask me what it means online. It's akin to "Peace", "I'm Out", "Audi 5000", "Ghost", "Swayze (EPMD's take on saying "Ghost") or "See Ya".

One is also Godspeak (The Nation Of Gods & Earths AKA The 5% Nation) for "knowledge" as all things begin with knowledge and two represents wisdom (because knowledge comes before wisdom).

One.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Good list, but why 'the internet age'?

or that the Cult Movies books by Danny Peary cornered the pre-everyones-got-net access area? Ie when (most) cult movies still where something you really had to make an effort to see and get hold of. These days Film Threat is a website, John Waters is on the BBC's culture show as everyones favourite smutty uncle and you can pick up El Topo at HMV .

The cult is dead, or at least it is not more than a google search away.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That meaning soon expanded to represent the unification of ALL PEOPLE through urban music once it maded serious headway into pop culture in the US as well as worldwide.

What about people who like rural music? :(:(:(
wurzels.jpg