Chuck D and Flava Flav

Octopus?

Just a quick question for anyone who might be more in the know then myself...why exactly is Flava Flav still a member of Public Enemy despite having become a pretty much THE face of absolutely everything they nominally claim to despise? Has Chuck D ever commented on this seeming contradiction? Couldn't find anything in my (admittedly rather limited) web search. Just occurred to me while I was listening to their new disc, apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm afraid I can't really help on this, but I did once read a description of Jabba the Hutt's little squawking pet dude as "Jabba's Flava Flav", which made me laugh. Or perhaps it was the other way round? Can't remember.

FLAVA_FLAV_GOSSIP_NYC-787506.jpg
crumb4.jpg

Also, is the new record any good?

Last edited:

tom pr

Don't mean to derail the thread further, so feel free to shout at me, but is Flava Flav being the RZA's cousin a well-known thing? I only found out about this the other day...

nomos

Administrator
At one point, when Flav's awful surreality show was on the air, I went to the PE site to see what Chuck had to say. I was expecting either no comment or diplomatic distancing. Nope. He fully embraced it with some line about it being empowering or harmless fun. I forget but it was utterly lame. Very disappointing.

Flav is really RZA's cousin?

tom pr

There's an interview with them on UGHH.com where they say so. Watching it, I thought maybe they were winding the guy up, but there are people in the comments section saying it's true.

Benny Bunter

Just a quick question for anyone who might be more in the know then myself...why exactly is Flava Flav still a member of Public Enemy despite having become a pretty much THE face of absolutely everything they nominally claim to despise? Has Chuck D ever commented on this seeming contradiction?

For me Flava Flav's role in Public enemy is like Ol' Dirty Bastard's in the Wu-tang Clan. It just wouldn't be the same without him. Chuck D isn't without his own contradictions either...

If Public Enemy were still making exciting records then maybe I'd care more about Flav's antics, but I can't really be bothered to stoke up some indignation about it all.

mms

sometimes
There's an interview with them on UGHH.com where they say so. Watching it, I thought maybe they were winding the guy up, but there are people in the comments section saying it's true.

hmm old dirty and gza are rza's cousins...

gumdrops

chuck was quite fair (not defensive or refusing to see the obvious) on his blog about flavs 'antics' on TV if you can be bothered to do a search for his entries. cant imagine the new album is much good but it doesnt undo their good work.

Benny Bunter

chuck was quite fair (not defensive or refusing to see the obvious) on his blog about flavs 'antics' on TV if you can be bothered to do a search for his entries. cant imagine the new album is much good but it doesnt undo their good work.

Cold Lampin' = choon!:D

gumdrops

i was thinking about it. but i think its sold out. plus i might be going to see busta rhymes instead.

i might regret this decision.

mos dan

fact music
i'm a bit dubious about this 'don't look back' thing when it comes to public enemy. has anyone seen any of their recent-era shows? i am concerned whether the energy will still be there.

viktorvaughn

i'm a bit dubious about this 'don't look back' thing when it comes to public enemy. has anyone seen any of their recent-era shows? i am concerned whether the energy will still be there.

I saw them about 8 months ago (the reason I’m not going tomorrow really, though I am loathe to miss APC, Edan, Kool Kieth and Bomb Squad dubstep all on the same bill and will probably regret not going!) and thought they were really good.

They had some slightly pointless live band but Chuck had mad energy and it was wicked to here the famous tunes live. Flava Flav did some dodgy solo bits but obviously that won’t happen tomorrow. It was one of the best hip-hop shows I have ever seen and I think it’s a genre that is often a bit disappointing live…

gumdrops

i saw them about 8 years ago at stratford rex and it wasnt too great, fun hearing the old tunes but they were almost laughing between songs and so were the s1ws - not quite what i wanted. saw them again with their band at some thing in greenwich after that when it was still the dome, and thought it was a bit crap - the band were a bit hair-metally. dont know if theyll have the band tomorrow or not though. im so tempted as i love PE and that album but dont know if i wanna see it being performed in 2008 with that band (if they bring them).

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I'd be more worried about Chuck D's support of a facist organisation (Nation of Islam) than Flavor Flav's 'antics'.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'd be more worried about Chuck D's support of a facist organisation (Nation of Islam) than Flavor Flav's 'antics'.

He's not still affiliated with that lot though, is he? And it was Professor Griff who was the main Farrakhan follower, AFAIK...