Military use of Deleuze

Transpontine

history is made at night
Fascinating and disconcerting article on the use of Deleuze & Guattari etc. by military strategists in Israel and elsewhere:

http://www.frieze.com/issue/article/the_art_of_war/

'the reading lists of contemporary military institutions include works from around 1968 (with a special emphasis on the writings of Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari and Guy Debord), as well as more contemporary writings on urbanism, psychology, cybernetics, post-colonial and post-Structuralist theory. If, as some writers claim, the space for criticality has withered away in late 20th-century capitalist culture, it seems now to have found a place to flourish in the military'

PeteUM

It's all grist
Jesus. I'm now imagining some Brazil-like horror of a future where people jump through your walls as you're reading the kids a story, carrying weapons and spouting theory, and you won't even know if they're the military or the other guys.

Last edited:

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
Previous thread

There's a thread in Politics about this article already [though the link in the first post to the Frieze article is dead; the site must have been re-designed].

While highly disconcerting - and depressing - is this really a surprise? At the very least a book as indebeted to Deleuze & Guttari as War in the Age of Intelligent Machines would have been more than enough to draw the attention of a military thinkers, even in the unlikely event that they weren't already well aware of these ideas.

luka

craner sent me a text this evening reading, and i quote
fingering my bumhole, feels like fireworks. a revelation.