Jukebox Deejaying

mixed_biscuits

I took it upon myself to entertain a captive audience of middle-aged Mancunian table-footballers this weekend with a half-hour set of classic hardcore and jungle, artfully juxtaposed with Rick Wakeman's noodlings, all coming from an unusually capacious electronic jukebox.

Has anybody else also played out a classic jukebox set to a rapturously appreciative audience recently?

mixed_biscuits

Merzbow vs Alec Empire ouch lol

It might also be the case that tracks are sped up +10% to increase takings.

My Wyatting backfired, however - a stranger approached me at the jukebox and gave me a quid to put on 'more stuff like Original Nuttah'

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
isn't 'Wyatting' just the equivalent of chucking your little sister's wham record of the record player and making her cry by putting on throbbing gristle instead?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
wyatting is an obnoxious and apalling act of elitism and snobbery.
anyone who does it deserves to be kicked all around the bar.
that said, i have done it a couple of times.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
wyatting is an obnoxious and apalling act of elitism and snobbery.
anyone who does it deserves to be kicked all around the bar.

It appears a greatly conflicted procedure too... If I genuinely liked a piece of music (admittedly esoteric), the last thing I would want to do would be to deploy it so as to lead people to listen to it in an unsympathetic way- it feels dishonest to use music which is special for brute effect. So conversely I would end up playing something which neither I nor the other people present would like- and what on earth would the point of that be... I might as well just leave!

mixed_biscuits

Only if you put on music that you yourself don't like just to irritate those about you.

If you like it, then it's no different to anyone else putting on something they want to hear.

In the latter case, it's snobbish to assume that others would be inevitably unsympathetic to your preferences.

If the venue feels that stelfox is about to kick off a valiant and bloodthirsty crusade against elitism, then it can just turn down the music or turn off/turn on the jukebox.