Julian Cope the writer

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've got The Modern Antiquarian, which is a delightfully rambling collection of essays on Britian's megalithic past, its relevance to today, some rather imaginative 'etymosophy' and a whole lot of Roman-bashing. Nothing to mistake for serious academic archaeology perhaps, but its very entertaining and contains a lot thoughtful discussion that has real value, I think. Plus it's got a decent gazetteer of sites mentioned in the book, which an archaeology PhD friend of mine said she's used as a field guide.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/home/

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Haven't grabbed a copy of his newest yet (but I will soon). I must say I find some of his writing on the headheritage site rather opaque and overblown. I fucking love the fact that he endlessly champions Pentagram, quite rightly, if you ask me.

You know that poem 'My Wal' did for Sunn O))) (it's wicked, it manages to be funny and frightening at the same time)? I read somewhere that it was adapted from an Anglo-Saxon poem, is that true, and if so, which one?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Dunno, but wal (or wæl) is OE for 'bloodshed' or 'slaughter'.

Something quite, uh, 'heavy', by the sound of it!

Edit: could be a reference to a battle called the Freswæl ("Frisian slaughter"), which is mentioned both in Beowulf and in a scrap of verse called the Finnesburg Fragment.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Cheers, those all sound interesting, but it's about a guy standing on an actual wall (though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a wael-pun in there too) surveying his domain and it's inhabitants. It may just be a bit of mythologising on his/his audience's part and no such text exists, and nowt wrong with that.

Is Cope going to bring out a Danskrock sampler or was that just for the webiste?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Is Cope going to bring out a Danskrock sampler or was that just for the webiste?
I ripped the audio while it was up. That's a great little comp.

In the first part of Japrocksampler there's some real scholarship and research going on. Much more in depth than the mythologising of Krautrocksampler. It's actually quite dense going and you get the impression that nobody has pulled all that info and history together before, at least not in the English language.

vimothy

yurp
Bah, sent on a complete red herring by a typo! :mad:

Heh, but as such it was in the Copian "imaginary etymology" vein and thus totally appropriate.;)

FWIW:

Maelstrom: Let’s talk about Julian Cope. That monologue he does on “My Wall” is pretty cool. It has an interesting rhythmic pace to it and I like how it’s structured like a song in itself. What was it like working with him.

Stephen O’Malley: It was great. I’m surprised he wanted to do it. As far as the composition of his piece, he’s a big fan of Lindsay, the American poet who wrote poems like “Johnny Appleseed,” especially some recordings Julian had heard of his in which he has a very direct, oratorial, preaching style.

PeteUM

It's all grist
I ripped the audio while it was up. That's a great little comp.

In the first part of Japrocksampler there's some real scholarship and research going on. Much more in depth than the mythologising of Krautrocksampler. It's actually quite dense going and you get the impression that nobody has pulled all that info and history together before, at least not in the English language.

Fascinating stuff about pre-war Japanese history in there. The image of the Americans sailing up in warships (was it only four or something?) pointing them at the Emperor's palace and basically subduing the nation on the basis of that was quite illuminating. In fact, I got kind of bored with some of the music stuff after that.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i really want to know why the nww guy went to germany and go into it so.

also i'm wondering if there is a krautrock history out there.
i've always wondered if there have been any uk brickkies into it auf weidersehien pet style

PeteUM

It's all grist
I should say that the autobiogs are very entertaining and Krautrocksampler is inspiring and his website is always worth a visit.

Benny Bunter

Julian Cope the writer...so much more interesting than Julian Cope the musician!

'Head on' is a amusing, heart-felt romp through his teardrops days. Very much like his hero Lester Bangs in that he cranks up the sincerity to an almost unbearable level, so that you're still rooting for him even when he's acting the complete twat (which he often does).

That was some bitchy scene in Liverpool at the time wasn't it? That bit describing Probe Records owner Geoff Davies' reaction to the question 'Have you got the new Rush album?' is bloody hilarious,

"What?" said Geoff, affronted.

"Er, have you got the new Rush album please?"

"Yeah...why?"

""er, could I have it then?"

"No you fucking can't have the new Rush album. Where d'you think you are, Virgin Records?"

Priceless :D

dHarry

^^ :) reminds me of this:

Mark E Smith said:
I remember when Virgin started in Manchester, asking for something like The Stooges, the run around you used to get from the staff. They'd order Moby Grape or something if you bought Tubular Bells. I used to get into fights in Virgin Records. You'd get lectures on how you shouldn't listen to The Velvet Underground. And these people are now grown up and are controlling the railways. It's disgusting. It takes four hours to get from Manchester to London now. It's because the train goes round all the scenic routes because it's run by hippies.
- http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/141/

Karl Kraft

If you live in London, the big HMV on oxford st. has 'Japrocksampler' on offer for £7 and PLENTY of stock. And that big yellow bargain bookshop in at Notting Hill gate has 'The Megalithic European' (the sort of Euro sequel to The Modern Antiquarian) on sale at £15, which is £7 cheaper than amazon.

Karl Kraft

He make a connection between the island cultures of UK-JApan-Denmark in Japrocksampler, so maybe. Read some jokes on the net abt him competing an Axis Psych trilogy by doing one on Italian rock...