Kraftwerk doc on Radio 4 right now

I thought it was good as these things go, nice to actually hear Ralf & Wolfgang talking.
Mostly it was well-informed and not the usual stupid stuff, well worth a listen-again on the BBC website for those who missed it.

Even though they are my favourite band, I do think the idea of them being responsible for all of techno, electronic pop etc is a bit silly. They were perhaps the first to make amazing pop with all electronic backing but I think the truth is that the equipment was coming into being and if they hadn't used it then someone else would've. If you've got some Moogs, some step sequencers, and a pop (as opposed to wildly avant garde/atonal) sensibility then it's hard to make stuff that doesn't sound a bit like Kraftwerk (of course very hard to be anywhere near as good as them though).

swears

preppy-kei
Even though they are my favourite band, I do think the idea of them being responsible for all of techno, electronic pop etc is a bit silly. They were perhaps the first to make amazing pop with all electronic backing but I think the truth is that the equipment was coming into being and if they hadn't used it then someone else would've. If you've got some Moogs, some step sequencers, and a pop (as opposed to wildly avant garde/atonal) sensibility then it's hard to make stuff that doesn't sound a bit like Kraftwerk (of course very hard to be anywhere near as good as them though).

Yeah, I think what's just as important as their use of technology is the way that they arranged lots of quite simple, repetitive loops and parts into a more complex overall tune, rather than relying as much on chord sequences and traditionally longer melodic phrases. (Although they could do that too, obviously)
That's what's "techno" about them for me. Computer World in particular.

link plz

Last edited:
I would have loved to have heard this but resent downloading real player and messing with my computer. Is there a way around this? I have Winamp. Sorry to be such a Luddite.

thank you

sir