Music which wasn't Grime which you were disappointed by...

Woebot

Donna Summer aka Jason Forrest

Heard a recent thing, not under the Donna Summer alias which, though it had quite a lot of promising things about it (heavy metal samples/tackiness) but in the end thought it was a bit flat.

Ulrich Schnauss

Blimey what a terrible name. It's almost as if its a parody of your smarter-than-thou Euro-electronica nomenclature. Kind of like "Austin Powers" in a Mouse on Mars/Oval context. Checked out the "classic" of two years back and (stifling yawn) what is it with people copying MBV badly? I'd put this in the same bracket as that Pluramon "Dreams Top Rock" record, which I never liked, apologies all round natch. If you're gonna make dreamy music you have have have to have some bite/edge in there. Some brittle drumz or some emotional agony. This was so mulchy (sound of needle tearing off record).

DAT Politics "Go Pets Go"

A bun-u reccomendation this. (answer your email Dave U bumbaclat). Bizarrely very difficult to get hold of, and i spent most of the time while i was checking it out with a finger wedged in one ear, wincing. However, like a trooper, I didnt give up on them and their earlier LP (the blue one) is excellent.

Last edited:

martin

----
I was quite disappointed by the band Selfish Cunt. With a great band name like that, I was expecting some real magic. Just sounded like standard indie-punk with an SWP guy on vocals. It's all very well singing satirical songs from the viewpoint of a racist, but not so great when you have to keep skipping the tracks (without headphones). Mind you, their cover version of "My Prerogative" is one saving grace

I also find it impossible to get excited about Miss Kittin's new stuff. She sounds like a parody of her old self (which was a parody of the girl from Flying Lizards anyway, but much ruder and more blackly comic)

I've listened to Wolf Eyes...maybe it's just noise overload, but reminds me of listening to Ramleh a few years back. It's OK in short bursts, but over a whole album, I started to get bored

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Rachel Verinder said:
That LCD Soundsystem album's pretty rub, isn't it, albeit with a great singles compilation attached.
Haven't heard the album yet, but I really like that "Losing my edge".

S

simon silverdollar

the superpitcher album. a piece of shit, really, innit. i love some of his singles and that mfa remix is in the all-time personal favourite category, but his album is awful- a pop album from someone who can't really write songs.

and 'the love below' really disappointed me. too often it comes across as meandering and oddly passionless- like, large sections of the album seem to be taken up by almost spoken-word rambles. wasn't expecting that at all.

and the akufen fabric mix cd disappointed, although i still think that it's good. it just gets a bit too.. wacky for me, esp. in the middle

owen

a pop album from someone who can't really write songs.

oh yeah...the new Heiko Voss EP on Firm is really disappointing for similar reasons...crap hooklines, horrible lyrics, dodgy real instrumentation...for some reason the cologne boys can't quite do pop right, they're better at mutations of it like Mayer's 'Amanda' or Jurgen Paape's stuff

'the long way' is nice though

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
The new Manitoba/Caribou lp has to be one of the biggest disappointments in a while - utterly underwhelming, especially compared to how exciting Up In Flames felt. Too much clutching at 'proper' song structures and listless english psychedelia. New Prefuse 73 seems to be either an exercise in treading water and showing off how many guests fees warp would pay for. Other than that, the daft punk disaster has it's own thread doesn't it?

redcrescent

simon silverdollar said:
and the akufen fabric mix cd disappointed, although i still think that it's good. it just gets a bit too.. wacky for me, esp. in the middle
Some great stuff in there, but Señor Coconut's 'Smoke on the Water' absolutely slaughters the mood for me.

Disappointments?
N*E*R*D Fly or Die
Bochum Welt's new one
Beans' most recent
T. Raumschmiere Radio Blackout

C

captain easychord

Ness Rowlah said:
Haven't heard the album yet, but I really like that "Losing my edge".

it's very disapointing. aside from the already released singles like LME that get packaged along with it.

xero

was minusone
agree with what's been said about LCD. After the riches of compilation 2 it seems a bit one-dimensional. And the Mark E.Smith impressions really grate

polystyle

re: LCD
Being here in town we had been overexposed already to the edges that just weren't there -
no dissapointment about the Album .

blissblogger

lcd

nah nah, 'disco infiltrator', 'thrills', 'too much love', 'movement' -- these are great great tracks

elsewhere the eno homage is cute, the beatles circa rubber souul/revolver rip off i could do without

big mistake on that album -- starting with the ultra lame and tweely titled 'daft punk is playing at my house' esp since the new daft punk is THE non-grime disapointment of the season

overall lcd = a close to great album, with the bonus cd ... a very nice bonus, but then i never thought 'yeah' was that amazing actually

incidentlaly rachel far from being rah-rah pro LCD as you suggested on your blog, i thought morley's review in OMM was interestingly ambivalent, nicely capturing the pathos of belatedness in re. lcd and similar record collection dance-rs -- "they're good at being good" "you laugh, and then you cry, and then you die"

DavidD

can't be stopped
Thank you!!! I thought I was the only one who disliked that Jason Forest record! It seemed like the timbre of all the tracks were like squeaky styrafoam.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Why does it have to be non-grime? Did I miss some meeting where everyone decided it was shit, and so it has to be excluded from the thread because otherwise we'd be here all day?

Or is it that if grime was included everyone would say Wiley's album?

ryan17

Daft Punk - new one
Out Hud - new one (slightly less disapoointed on this then on daft punk but still a bit)

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
Yeah, fuck, theres been a few disappointments this year...

NERD album (its shit)
NERD live (we want Chad)
Beans (when did he lose his phreeky beat? when earl blaize stopped producing)
Airborn Audio (good, but not Antipop good)
!!! album (nowhere near as good as the Guilani EP)
The Neptunes (completing their long-awaited fall from grace, cf Drop It Like Its Hot)
Missy Elliott (not releasing a new album - I thought she'd developed an annual release cycle)
Warp not releasing a single album I found worth buying (couple of decent eps - see Home Video)
CoilANS (just not my cup)
Jhonn Balance (dying. sob.)
Elections (a majority of this country actually voted for John Howard. strange but true.)

Hey, lets get positive. Think of all the fucking great albums we got!

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Carlos Alomar's solo album "Dream Generator". Picked it up for a pound.
Sounds like something Level 42 would do on a bad day, with some over the top
sci-fi thing going. Very, very bad: I was hoping it would be some brilliant obscure album ...
(Carlos played with Bowie on those seminal Berlin-albums and co-wrote "The Secret Life of Arabia").

f15593y4z1m.jpg

h-crimm

martin said:
I was quite disappointed by the band Selfish Cunt. With a great band name like that, I was expecting some real magic.

these boys are quite horrible in my opine...

saw them play (not on purpose) once and the singer had a fight with someone in the audience during the show, the guitarist kept going, the singer kept hold of the mic. the crowd was surging out of the way of the two fighters tussling on the floor wrapped up in mic lead. then when it ended the singer just climbed back up on stage and carried on with the shit lyrics where he left off... if i remember rightly he had blood coming down the front of his face as well... or maybe i'm confusing him with calvin johnson / beat happening.

so rubbish. but the name is too. my friend from CA accidentally bought thier 7" as well when he was buying all the things that rough trade's stickers were slagging off...