Surprising incidental music on crap telly

straight

wings cru
just a silly one for friday, anyone heard any surprisingly awesome/weird/apt music in gutter tv programming lately? Ive heard some wonderful stuff in bbc4 docs recently, particularly the genius/science/madness series they had on earlier in the year with some wonderful original max de wardener pieces but i want to hear about esoteric music finding its way into telly of negligible intellect. I heard steve reichs msuic for 18 musicians used heavity in a recent wife swap so it led me to thinking that if i was a researcher etc on on some horrorible reality telly (as a few friends of mine are part of their attempted journey to TV stardom) it would be of great pleasure to sneak something interesting into the mix.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
i saw an episode of this show called dubplate drama on myspace which had some dodgy bass-heavy beats type thing or other on it...

lamp post

Wild Horses
Skins series one had all kinds of amazing stuff that you wouldn't normally expect in a teen drama;
Wolf Eyes, Broadcast, Grizzly Bear, A Hawk and A Hacksaw, Skream, Clogs, Magnetic Fields, Summer Night Air, The Fall...

in eastenders the other day when steven (the weirdo one) is running a market stall called "urban alternative" he puts on Mainstream Money by Tinchy Stryder for about 3 seconds.

straight

wings cru
been waitin for the big enders/grime crossoevr, my skins been crawling in anticipation. thought it was finally goin to happen a couple of months ago when dino was trying get peggy to put on a grime night on in the vic but to no avail.

mos dan

fact music
i think skins is a larf too fwiw.

maybe this isn't in the spirit of the thread, but it seems a good moment to share it..

about 5-10 years ago there was some 'light hearted' primetime celeb docu on bbc2 i was half-watching. they were talking about ulrika jonsson, and how she'd been the victim of domestic abuse courtesy of her boyfriend stan collymore... the backing music for this segment, loud and clear and audible, was 'hit me baby one more time'.

for once in my life i got off my arse and filed an official complaint to the bbc, who eventually got back to me with a pathetic 'ah well it was all in the ironic and light-hearted spirit of the programme, but we're sorry you were offended' cop-out letter. fucking disgraceful.

tom pr

been waitin for the big enders/grime crossoevr, my skins been crawling in anticipation. thought it was finally goin to happen a couple of months ago when dino was trying get peggy to put on a grime night on in the vic but to no avail.
Did this really happen?!

UFO over easy

online mahjong
about 5-10 years ago there was some 'light hearted' primetime celeb docu on bbc2 i was half-watching. they were talking about ulrika jonsson, and how she'd been the victim of domestic abuse courtesy of her boyfriend stan collymore... the backing music for this segment, loud and clear and audible, was 'hit me baby one more time'.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like a proper chris morris moment

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I once saw a montage of (iirc) England's worst moments of some football tournament - the sort of thing that would normally be done over Why Does It Always Rain On Me or something - with Arvo Part's Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten as the backing.

mms

sometimes
i saw an episode of this show called dubplate drama on myspace which had some dodgy bass-heavy beats type thing or other on it...

haha
tempa are supplying the music for that .
its an interactive urban telly programme.

Pangaea

i think richard james is living comfortably just from telly use of SAWII. last time i remember, 'watchdog' had used about six or seven tracks, just in one segment about a faulty vauxhall or summit.

music researcher/consultant for programmes must be one of the best jobs ever!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I found it kinda funny when some Oval track (maybe off Systemisch?) was used in a perfume ad... worked quite well, though.

Top Gear have used one of my tunes, which was a bit odd. Guess it's cheap to pick up stuff from NZ. ;)

zhao

there are no accidents
I found it kinda funny when some Oval track (maybe off Systemisch?) was used in a perfume ad... worked quite well, though.

Top Gear have used one of my tunes, which was a bit odd. Guess it's cheap to pick up stuff from NZ. ;)

oh yeah that Oval spot! i had forgotten all about that (or filed it away as possible hallucination or fictional memory)

and of course they didn't even ask much less pay you?

Dr Venom

Wild Horses
I once did work experience at Saatchi and Saatchi and there was a young guy who had taken a job as a music consultant, his job was to liaise with record and publishing companies and select potential tracks for adverts. Fucking nice office, full of CDs, decks, promos and unreleased shit and he was only about 24. Very decent job.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Did anyone ever see the Tia Maria ad that used one of the rehearsal tracks on the reissue of the second Suicide album?