Bauhaus vs. Burial - was dubstep invented in Northampton?

swears

preppy-kei
They're just really simple basslines, one note per bar. Not impossible for someone else to write something very similar independently.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
great band , alot more original than burial, i mean 'Bela Lugosi's Dead' was like a whole new meld of stuff, best played on halloween with a pint of snake bite......still sounds as fresh today.

Transpontine

history is made at night
They're just really simple basslines, one note per bar. Not impossible for someone else to write something very similar independently.

I am not suggesting a direct influence, let alone plagiarism, just interested in the similarities in apparently radically different tunes. Yes the old three note bassline only has so many variations.

zhao

there are no accidents
death-step. bela lugosi would mix very well too, because its up there around 130. i already have it in my dubstep set (which contains more non-dubstep that sounds like dubstep than actual dubstep), but i havent done anything with it yet.

bauhaus was really a dub band at heart. mixed with post punk and whatever other sensibilities... ive never read interviews with them where they reference reggae though, but then again i dont think ive read any interviews with them period. would be interesting.

Who knows about the Goth Trad Neubauten refix?

who did that? id like to hear...

Transpontine

history is made at night
bauhaus was really a dub band at heart. mixed with post punk and whatever other sensibilities... ive never read interviews with them where they reference reggae though, but then again i dont think ive read any interviews with them period. would be interesting.

"We didn't sit down and go, 'OK, let's use minor chords and take it this way.' I think if they could be a fly on the wall when we were recording, people would be surprised that we'd go back home and we would tend to play a lot of late Beatles music and dub reggae. That was my main memory of what we collectively liked listening to." (interview with Bauhaus drummer Kevin Haskins)

I must admit I started this thread with tongue slightly in cheek but now thinking a bit more about it. Dub was obviously a big influence not just on Bauhaus but on many in that post-punk period, so there is an irony in much of the later goth scene being so bleached out musically (and in the hair and make up department) with few nods to black music.

zhao

there are no accidents
ah there we go. yeah also PIL was much more dub reggae than rock in every sense.

and that band named after the unemployment form... ok no you're right we dont need to go there ;)

swears

preppy-kei
Burial wouldn't have associated with any of those goth chiefs at school, he would have taken their lunch money to buy El B 12s and Air Max 95s.

STN

sou'wester
The only goth I have ever known was so maniacally proficient a fighter that no one would dare trying to take his lunch money, for fear he would drink their blood for lunch (thus freeing up the money to spend on vital goth accoutrements, such as singles by Big Electric Cat and Fields of the Nephilim).

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
I remember reading an interview with the band in which they said the bassline from Garry Glitters ''Rock n Roll Part 2'' was used as the starting point for the song.A lot of their early material shows a strong Dub influence, especially their 'B sides'.Many of the early 80's Industrial groups show this influence also,most notably Cabaret Voltaire and 23 Skidoo.
It's a real shame that music so dark can eventually bleed so white....

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Speaking of industrial bands, have we got any Revolting Cocks fans here? The track At The Top from Beers, Steers And Queers is totally goth-dub.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
The only goth I have ever known was so maniacally proficient a fighter that no one would dare trying to take his lunch money, for fear he would drink their blood for lunch (thus freeing up the money to spend on vital goth accoutrements, such as singles by Big Electric Cat and Fields of the Nephilim).

Big Electric Cat??

cutups

i guest dj'd in a goth club this past weekend and played a bit of dubstep in the mix.
it def fits in my version of what goth music in 2007 could be. unfortunately most kids are into the whole minor-key trance metal thing. but hey.

i'd def like to hear some dubstep bauhaus refixes.