Scooby Doo

Woebot

My kids are Scooby Doo mad.

OK, sure the old first series: "Scooby Doo, Where are you?" is still the best

BUT

the latest "What's new Scooby Doo?" is, though the artwork isn't a scratch on the original, is actually blindingly good kid's telly. Good stories and an amzing amount of research about each of the locations that "the meddling kids" visit....

The recent animated movies: The Witch's Ghost and The Loch Ness Monster are also really good. In the latter the detail of Scottish life is better than most Hollywood movies.

What is crap though is the Shaggy and Scooby series (a really awful "slacker" re-brand) and also lots of the older series. My brother and I liked "...featuring Scrappy Doo" as kids. What were we thinking?

Has anyone seen the bizarre "featuring celebrities" versions. I've seen the Batman and Robin one, the Dick Van Dyke one (excruciatingly appaling) and some of "celebs" who no-one even remembers any more.

KISS (the rock band) feature in one episode of the new (good) series and play a Halloween Party.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I've a feeling Daphne may have represented something of an awakening to exciting possibilities, although she's not really my type personality wise.

N

nomadologist

I've a feeling Daphne may have represented something of an awakening to exciting possibilities, although she's not really my type personality wise.

Between this and things I've read in other threads here, I can't help but note that it's hilarious to me, and it seems to be a pretty universal experience, that males are able to work up a sexual response to cartoon characters from a very young age. Of course, these tend to be the ones that represent the most ridiculous over-the-top simpering sort of cliched "femininity"...but still!

At least on this one we're not in "furries" territory...

noel emits

Between this and things I've read in other threads here, I can't help but note that it's hilarious to me, and it seems to be a pretty universal experience, that males are able to work up a sexual response to cartoon characters from a very young age. Of course, these tend to be the ones that represent the most ridiculous over-the-top simpering sort of cliched "femininity"...but still!

Right.

So there's something surprising and wrong about human males being attracted to females now is there? Oh and seven year old kids should be more sophisticated and discerning in their sexuality then to go for long legged red heads cos that's such a cliche to you?

*rude words*

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Right.

So there's something surprising and wrong about human males being attracted to females now is there? Oh and seven year old kids should be more sophisticated and discerning in their sexuality then to go for long legged red heads cos that's such a cliche to you?

Piss off.

I loved Velma for her brains, you heteronormalising biofascist!!!

noel emits

I loved Velma for her brains, you heteronormalising biofascist!!!
velma.jpg

Yes I see what you mean.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Has anyone seen the bizarre "featuring celebrities" versions. I've seen the Batman and Robin one, the Dick Van Dyke one (excruciatingly appaling) and some of "celebs" who no-one even remembers any more.

Harlem Globetrotters?

thumbnail.jsp

jenks

thread death
We took our boys to see the stage show currently doing the rounds of theatres up and down the country and it was abysmal. I don't mean it was a bit rubbish like the Noddy show or Postman Pat but awful. So awful that even the kids were underwhelmed and they usually love all this kind of stuff.

One damned it with 'It's not as good as the Awful Egyptians!'

Give them the Chuckle Bros on stage and they scream with laughter at the lamest jokes, they consider Russ Abbott's turn as Capt Hook in pantomime a few years back to be a cultural highlight. But Scooby Doo - not good.

I'm hoping the Tintin show we're going to over Christmas will be the start of a move away from celeb/tv led shows which i have endured, almost, silently for the past 7 or so years!

Woebot

have to side with tea here. i'm a velma man myself. especially in this latest incarnation when she has a foxy side to her.

did neither fred or shaggy cause your young heart to flutter nomadologist? ;)

noel emits

As Fred says to Velma in the film "Hey, I’m a man of substance. I’m turned on by dorky chicks like you, too!" ;)

Apparently they dropped a few gags about her being into Daphne.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I always remember Scooby Doo fondly and then bringing up Vicky 10 years back it was good to see that it actually was relatively complex and how much she got out of it, to see the new series would definitely be one reason to get a telly!

My first crush was Galen AND the two guys on the TV series of Planet Of The Apes...

apestv1.jpg

sigh. There was never any hope for me really.