Northern Lights/Golden Compass

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, so they've adapted this book into a film and changed the title in the process. When I first heard that they were going to make a film of this I was quite interested, given all the furore in the US about Harry Potter I thought that this would stir up a real hornets' nest. As far as I could work out the religious right got their knickers in a twist about Harry Potter because it featured magic (ie witchcraft), what were they going to do about a film which actually identifies the creator (God) as evil and in which the heroes actively try to kill him?
However

"Several key themes of the novels, the rejection of organized religion and the abuse of power in a fictionalized Catholic Church, are to be diluted in the adaptation. Director Weitz said "in the books the Magisterium is a version of the Catholic Church gone wildly astray from its roots" but that the organization portrayed in his film would not directly match that of Pullman's books. Instead, the Magisterium will represent all dogmatic organizations. Weitz said that New Line Cinema had feared the story's anti-religious themes would make the film financially unviable in the US, and so religion and God will not be referenced directly. Attempting to reassure fans of the novels, Weitz said that religion would instead appear in euphemistic terms, yet the decision has been attacked by some fans, anti-censorship groups, and the National Secular Society (of which Pullman is an honorary associate), which said "they are taking the heart out of it, losing the point of it, castrating it", "this is part of a long-term problem over freedom of speech."
To my mind, they will indeed be castrating it if they totally change what it's about ( it's also interesting that even in that piece (from Wikipedia) they merely describe a rejection of organized religion, which to my mind is still a dilution - as far as I can remember from reading the books, they go much further than that), really what's the point of adapting a book if the film can't even touch the subject matter of the book? They want the name (and the sales of course) but they don't want the actual book. I think it's a new low in terms of the film-makers having their cake and eating it. It's also a triumph for the censorship of the religious right who have effectively managed to rip the heart out of the story without even having done anything. I think it's total cowardice and a really sorry episode all round.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Much as I would love to disagree, Donahue is right (when he says the books will market atheism by stealth), though more as a result of simple marketing rather than some atheist conspiracy. The film has been toned down in order to reach a wider audience and so make more money. It will almost certainly encourage some parents to buy the books for their children. With any luck, their kids will read them - and start asking some awkward questions."
I see this point but it's pretty meagre consolation in my mind. I mean, there are two points there, one being about the "message" and one being the story itself. If I were a massive fan of a story and the film adaptation missed out the entire story that I loved I don't think I'd give a toss that people who read the book after seeing the film would get to enjoy it properly (and get the atheistic message).
Also, that doesn't let those who made the decision to excise all the religious stuff off the hook does it? It's still shameful cowardice on their part.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I wonder what Philip Pullman thinks? I can't imagine he's very pleased..."
You'd think so wouldn't you? His comments on it that I've seen have been disappointingly diplomatic though to my taste...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, I heard about this, it's pretty shit. Funny how they allow stuff that just aimlessly blasphemes for cheap laughs (South Park) but get all hot under the collar about something that makes an intelligent criticism of religion...well, actually, it probably isn't at all. (Edit: although as you say it's not even as if the Christain Right has even had to do anything here, it's just a pre-emptive Bowdlerisation on the part of the studio.)

And yeah, the book was called The Golden Compass in the US - what the fuck? Damn thing isn't even a compass in the first place. Grrr.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Funny how they allow stuff that just aimlessly blasphemes for cheap laughs (South Park) but get all hot under the collar about something that makes an intelligent criticism of religion"
But it's not really a case of "allowing" is it? As far as I can tell the film has just assumed that there would be protests and anticipated that by removing all the content.

ripley

I'll still go see it (armored bears!)

but i think the edits stink. Not exactly surprised, though.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i read and loved those books as a kid and went to see phillip pullman at the edinburgh book festival, great time as i remember it. Disappointed but not surprised that they've censored it all.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, the trailers I've seen have made everything look rather trashy. The books are so dark that the film should have look a lot more gritty. I don't know if i'll go and see it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Did anyone here see the stage production of the trilogy that was on four or five years ago? I'm afraid I missed it but I heard it was rather good, with some apparently pretty nifty puppet technology to represent the 'daemons'.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Did anyone here see the stage production of the trilogy that was on four or five years ago?"
Never saw it but I did read a review of it from Rowan Williams about how he was perfectly happy with it and it was more about getting people to think for themselves than an attack on organised religion. I always feel very sorry for that guy - he seems nice enough but he's in an impossible position and he's pretty much always on the wrong side of every argument.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I notice that they are now selling the book as The Golden Compass (as opposed to Northern Lights). I don't know why but I find that a bit annoying.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I notice that they are now selling the book as The Golden Compass (as opposed to Northern Lights). I don't know why but I find that a bit annoying.

I think that's what it was called when it was published (even for the first time) in the US. God knows why, it's a stupid name - maybe to make it feel more like part of a trilogy with the other two, which are both named after quasi-magical items in the stories.

It does remind me, a bit, of the American renaming of the first Harry Potter book, ...and the Philosopher's Stone, which they called Sorcerer's Stone because (apparently) too many American kids wouldn't know what a 'philosopher' was. There was a question about this on HIGNFY, something like "what did they call the book in the US to make it have a more familar word in the title", which Paul Merton answered as "Harry Potter and the Burger".

blubeat

blubeat
I thought I would wait until I had seen the film to comment. I recently read all three books and they caused quite a commotion in our house as everyone clamoured to read them. Even my Mum & Dad read them and it's way off the radar for them. They both loved Northern Lights and enjoyed the next two.

Having established that I am a fan of the books and recommended them, what did I think of the film? I loved it

The bears had to be credible and they were! The Magisterium was very obviously the Church altho a ten year old who went with me perceived it more as an Orwellian Big Brother government. People complain that it is too short but at 1h:53mins I think that's reasonable for a Childrens/Family film.

People who have read the book and then seen the film complain just as they did about the Harry Potter films, especially Order Of The Phoenix but it's a Childrens book adapted into a film so what do people expect?

Very very good and I am now reading it again ahead of going to see it again.

I took my just-turned-three year old son who said, and I quote, "it was good but the bears were a little bit scary"

It does remind me, a bit, of the American renaming of the first Harry Potter book, ...and the Philosopher's Stone, which they called Sorcerer's Stone because (apparently) too many American kids wouldn't know what a 'philosopher' was.
And do they think many English kids would?!

ripley

i read and loved those books as a kid

oh god. in 1995 and 2000? I feel really old now.

anyway saw the film. It looked great. But it was pretty at the expense of actual acting (a pity when there were lots of good actors in it), suspense, motivation. Reminded me of the first couple of HJarry Potter movies which were like "remember this scene from the book? and this scene? here's the evil guy! look, broomsticks!" There simply wasn't enough time taken (especially in Oxford) with the characters. If I hadn't read the books I think I would have been bored with mindless action.

other complaints with how they revealed things that Lyra finds out in other ways (ways that would develop her character and the others').. and Lord Azriel basically does nothing to show he is an impressive person... and nearly all the complexity (good people doing bad things and vice versa) is ironed out. sigh..

I'll still see the rest, but I don't know how they are going to salvage any of the good bits besides the pretty pictures.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And do they think many English kids would?!

I don't know, but that's the justification they gave. I'm sure I knew what a philosopher was when I was HP-target-audience age. I think it's real a shame that (some) people think they need to talk down to kids and simplify everything for them; the HP books are hardly Dune as it is.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I don't understand what the fuck knowing what a philosopher means has to do with it anyway, it's about the Philosophers Stone, not philosophers themselves.

Alfons

Way of the future
I'm sure I knew what a philosopher was when I was HP-target-audience age.

Im not sure I know what a philosopher is and Im past HP target audience age and did my b.a. in philosophy :D

Jokes aside, I never got why they had to change the name, silly.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Im not sure I know what a philosopher is and Im past HP target audience age and did my b.a. in philosophy :D

There's no doubt some saying attributed to a wise old sage about how you start off knowing nothing and then when you've learnt a bit you think you know something and then when you've learnt a bit more you realise you knew nothing at all, all along.

No doubt.