john eden

male pale and stale
I'd like something(s) free/cheap for a mac which I can use to:

Manage an emailing list.
Store addresses/contact details.

Any recommendations?

nomos

Administrator
I don't know if this is sophisticated enough but what about Mac's address book? You can keep groups of contacts in separate lists. And spurred by your question I just discovered that you can mass email an entire group by control+clicking on the group's name name.

john eden

male pale and stale
I don't know if this is sophisticated enough but what about Mac's address book? You can keep groups of contacts in separate lists. And spurred by your question I just discovered that you can mass email an entire group by control+clicking on the group's name name.

Yeah that sounds good but I was hoping for something people could un-sub from automatically, and where all the returns don't flood my inbox...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Just bumping this (though John - torrenting Apple software is kinda what they expect you to do :)).

However I suspect that filemaker won't do what you want - it's great for contacts, but not for email list management.

And I now definitely need one of those, so can the dissensus brains trust please help out?

Ideally it would

a) let me send a thousand or so people a message at once - right now this seems to take six or seven goes??? Have to split the BCC list into little chunks?

and

b) handle bounces and unsubscribes automatically.

I suppose there might be something in the dreamhost cpanel but any ideas gratefully accepted.

john eden

male pale and stale
dreamhost has an "announce list" bundled... am looking into it, seems ok.

Mailing a thousand people is tricky - some mailservers can't handle it. Through work I have found that googlemail addresses can send to numbers like that.