The Dead C

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Just listening to the new Fat Cat split series 12" by The Dead C and enjoying it a lot- obviously they've been around for donkey's years now, God they're probably due for some retro revival or something, but their work just seems to last. It's noisy without being cluttered, atmospheric yet still punky. I haven't heard any really fresh Jap noise for a while, but this sounds great.

Agree, or am I just indecently out of date?

who's on the other side of that 12" ?

Not sure about being in date or out of but the dead C were def onto something...I don't think their early garage-y stuff quite does it for me but its when they started getting cluttured actually, when there was a sense that what they were doing wasn't quite right then that's when I got intrigued. That sense of doubt is all over those mid-90s stuff from 'harsh 70s...', 'clyma...', 'opration of the sonne'; on 'the dammed' the rumours that it wasn't the dead C but 2 members plus michael morley so its like they became something akin to AMM -- whoever is in the room can play this music, but then there isn't much like amm so maybe not other bands could copy that, hence there's nothing to revive.

funny thing abt 'atmosphere' on their records; its this nervy edgy thing, but they are weird recordings. There's a 'fake live' vibe (only repent is an actual recorded gig set but some of the other cuts sound it).

dubplatestyle

<i>harsh 70s reality</i> is one of the best albums of the 90s. i also still have time for <i>the white house</i> and <i>tusk</i>. (there really is too much of it tho.) i know a few people on here actively dislike them.

pipikakahoofd

in the back of the last wire, bruce russell talks about how driver ufo was just them playing over the top of a douglas lilburn (nz electroacoustic composer) lp. don't know about you but if that was my favourite track it'd probably kinda ruin it for me. either that or i'd become obsessed with tracking down said lp. that said i'm more of a tusk fan, anyway.