Rinse 02 - Skream

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I know I often complain about dubstep but I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this at all. In fact, it's one of the best records of any kind that I've heard all year. Maybe because I'm in an absolutely foul mood at the moment, but it's almost exactly what I want to hear - totally fierce, relentless but unlike a lot of stuff it's absolutely rooted in reggae, full of vocals and one of the most rounded dubstep sets I've come across. Anyone else heard it? Thoughts?

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
havent heard as yet but i might hi-jack on a skream related tune id, anyone know what he finished his essential mix with a while back? only got around to hearing it the other night. sound like it could be benga though unsure

marsyas

i have not listened to a skream tune or mix/radioshow for ages.
i am not a fan of paying for mixes, but i may give this a try.

monkeysblood

born to cry
ok, finally picked this up a couple days ago.

some great moments but really not getting away with the vocal remix tracks ie black ghosts and klaxons. currently they're just spoiling the disc for me :(

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Very encouraging to hear Dave recommending this (the last person I thought would like a Skream mix CD!) and I haven't been that much into Skream for the last few months, but he is very good when he does the vocals and the digidub so I may well give this a go...

What the world needs, though, is more grime mix cds...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Why won't anyone put these independent CD releases out digitally as well?!
I just checked that last Rinse one w/Geeneus.

It's 2007! Someone send these chunks a memo!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
What the world needs, though, is more grime mix cds...

I strongly agree. Remember Lord of the Decks 1-3? Fire.
And most recently Logan's War Report and Prancehall's Anger Is A Gift were both very good too.

I'm surprised Logan isn't putting out mixtapes every 6 months like Tim Westwood. Surely there is a little money in that. Although I think I remember Logan saying somewhere once that he gives out things for free because he's trying to raise awareness about the genre first and make money later.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I thought this was great, but I would've liked to here some more vocal cuts alongside the heavy dubs, especially some a few more dancehall/ragga vocals to really emphasis the reggae vibe. Favourite moment is the cut "Flim". those vocals just sit on dubstep so well.

What surprised me about it was how relentless aggressive it is - till the last few tracks, it really takes no prisioners.