Karlheinz Stockhausen RIP

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
He died on Wednesday, but it looks like it's only been announced today. Very sketchy BBC article here.

Lichen

...this explains why Radio 3 has just been playing Stockhausen; I caught a snippet in the car

bruno

est malade
a copy that doesn't cost $100 ;)
all proceeds go to the lavish funeral :)

in026g.jpg

stimmung_zelte_27.jpg

close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-4.jpg

mms

sometimes
i went to a whole load of those Stockhausen shows at the barbican the other year, and saw hymnen, it's a beautiful sweetly utopian piece of music, utterly caught up in possibilities and ideas and the inventiveness of recorded sound.

Me and my mates had quite bad seats, so we complained, as there was a whole row near where Stockhausen was controlling that was empty, we had a word with the usher guy, who had a word directly with Stockhausen as we were desperate to get some good seats, it was incredible hearing that sound woosh around the theatre, and Stockhausen let us sit in his special seats. All the time as we moved into those seats Stockhausen was watching us patiently with paternal eyes ( i thought ) . We literally had the best seats in the house then, and it was amazing.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
A couple of years ago I randomly tuned into a live rendition of Stimmung on Radio 3, which was odd because I hardly ever listen to Radio 3. That's a wonderful piece, I was totally rapt for the whole hour, sitting outside in the garden with a little bonfire. That's easily the most accessible and conventionally beautiful Stocky bit I've heard.

nochexxx

harco pronting
rip stockhausen indeed.

am i right in thinking that this statement as been misquoted again,. this time by the bbc?

"The composer also attracted controversy after the terrorist attacks on New York on 11 September 2001, which he reportedly described as "the greatest work of art there is in the
entire cosmos"."

i thought he said something about the terrorist attacks on new york bing 'satan's greatest composition'?

i loved the brothers quay film called 'in absentia', which features stockhausen's work, anybody know the name of that record?

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I really hate the bullshit sound-bite journalism at the BBC - why would you choose to sum up a great artist's entire life by referring to some trivial little comment he may or may not have said just because its vaugley topical. Wankers.

RIP.

mms

sometimes
i loved the brothers quay film called 'in absentia', which features stockhausen's work, anybody know the name of that record?
amazingly it was made for that film
i saw them show that for the first time and they said that stockhausen delivered it on the day.hour.minute. he said he would.
amazing that film, really shocking and moving.
but a little searching says it's from
Freitag aus Licht his later opera.

i wonder how he worked out the prices for his cds i'd love to see the logic behind that, the stockhausen model for the recording industry :)

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
i imagine he had to pay for two month long nonstop rehearsals, that sort of thing. but the full catalogue is a huge undertaking and he designed the covers himself, there must be some worth in that. i like that mr schnitzler has an informal cdr service, quite cheap too considering most of what is on offer is not in print.

mms

sometimes
i imagine he had to pay for two month long nonstop rehearsals, that sort of thing. but the full catalogue is a huge undertaking and he designed the covers himself, there must be some worth in that. i like that mr schnitzler has an informal cdr service, quite cheap too considering most of what is on offer is not in print.

sure, i'm not really disputing that to be honest, it's an interesting thing esp when people think music is so easy nowdays.

swears

preppy-kei
I read a biography of him years ago in the school library...downloaded some of his stuff when I got P2P a couple of years later. I think his stuff is a lot more interesting to think about than actually listen to.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I read a biography of him years ago in the school library...downloaded some of his stuff when I got P2P a couple of years later. I think his stuff is a lot more interesting to think about than actually listen to.

I hate to say it after the event - and I'm sure there will be gigs - but live it's fucking amazing swears, recorded output doesn't really match the spatial positioning, in much the way listening to the Grateful Dead doesn't do them justice either - say what you like about these old ippies but they knew how to put on gigs. God, this could really be the best funeral ever in the history fo the world if they did it full on.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
his writing's are an entertaining read too. He's great on music education in stating the most important thing is , 'get everyone dancing', :cool::cool: this never happened at my school and i kinda think he was probably right.

I only know bits of his oevre but you can't argue that Kontake & the earlier Gesange Der Junglinge were some of the most well formed, pioneering & iconic works of the C20th.

mms

sometimes
I only know bits of his oevre but you can't argue that Kontake & the earlier Gesange Der Junglinge were some of the most well formed, pioneering & iconic works of the C20th.

do you mean it's inarguable that they are or that they're not?

i remember a thing where he listened to aphex and hawtin etc and criticised it as tribal music, afx's response was amusing something like he should come out raving with me and my mates and he'd appreciate it.. haha