Christmas songs!

tom pr

I am a total sucker for christmas songs, and they're one of the only things that actually gets me excited about the season. Last year Jim Jones did the Dipset Christmas album, before that there was Santa Claus Goes Straight to the Ghetto, and this year there's Asobi Seksu's which I am a big fan of, but what other recent ones are there?

My brother has a christmas album with a great Girls Aloud one, but I can't find it online...

Benny Bunter

Low's christmas album from a few years back is a good one. Lovely MBVish drone version of 'little drummer boy', and Mimi Parker singing 'Blue Christmas', thats a great song.

New Billy Childish album 'Christmas 1979' is a laff.

Then there's Phil Spector, but surely everyone knows that one...:)

Yellowman's christmas CD was big when I was younger, too funny. A Death Row Christmas has a couple of great songs on, a lot of shit though.

tom pr

Yellowman's christmas CD was big when I was younger, too funny. A Death Row Christmas has a couple of great songs on, a lot of shit though.
I'd be kind of upset if it didn't feature a load of shit, it's a death row christmas album. Like on Dipset Christmas, I imagine the fact that when you look at it in the objective cold heart of day it's a bit gash is what makes it so perfect for the season...

Didn't know Yellowman and Low had xmas albums. Defo wanna check those out.

mos dan

fact music
on the second day of christmas my baby gave to me / the keys to a C-L-K Mercedes
on the first day of christmas my baby gave to me / quality T-I-M-E

best lyric in the history of everything.

tom pr

because I am a dork, I'm gonna try to put a christmas mp3 pon blog every day until the 25th. Keep recommendations coming- today is Low. :)

Benny Bunter

because I am a dork, I'm gonna try to put a christmas mp3 pon blog every day until the 25th. Keep recommendations coming- today is Low. :)

Cool. You really do love crimbo don't you!

Yer blog looks pretty nifty too mate, not seen it before. :)

tom pr

I was jaded toward it for a while, but there's something refreshing about spending the build-up to it in a relatively small town that actually gets loads of snow (except for this winter, where we haven't). I seem to have developed a child-like enthusiasm for the whole thing this year, and it's a pretty ace feeling.

Thanks for the kind words by the way. I've just found out that Afroman did an Xmas album called a Colt 45 Christmas, and there must be some sort of oi punk Xmas comps kicking around...

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I am a total sucker for christmas songs, and they're one of the only things that actually gets me excited about the season.

So you've never worked retail then?

Kurtis Blow - Christmas Rappin, Run-DMC - Christmas in Hollis (Chingo Bling does a version of this called "Chingo Bells," pretty funny). I actually wanted to make a mix of xmas jams this year so I've got something else besides Mannheim Steamroller to listen to at the folks'.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Thanks for the kind words by the way. I've just found out that Afroman did an Xmas album called a Colt 45 Christmas, and there must be some sort of oi punk Xmas comps kicking around...
If in your research you come across something along these lines...

I was in a trendy clothing shop last week trying to do some pre-madness Christmas shopping and was greeted with what can only be described as a breakbeat track whose main percussive element was sleighbells! Squelchy 303 bassline, old skool break, and sleighbells!
... be sure and post it here.:D

hint

party record with a siren
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

STN

sou'wester
There's that Barrington Levy one where Jah grants him twelve blessings, one for each day of Christmas. Jah kicks off with a 'garden full of sensi' which beats 'The Shite Book of Nearly Everything' hands down.

There's a funk one called Getting Down for Xmas but I don't know who it's by cos DJ Shadow is too much of a visor-wearing twot to put the name of the artist on the comp (Funk Spectrum).

My personal favourite is 'Honky the Christmas Goose' by the hockey player Johnny Bower.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Peanut Butter Wolf has a Xmas mixtape out:

zzpeanutbutterwolfpre_102b.jpg

Ho, Ho, Huh? -- an unexpected seasonal delight from Peanut Butter Wolf -- who curates a collection of funky funky Christmas gems from Stones Throw Records! Badd Santa features a handful of tracks from some of the more adventurous names on the Stones Throw roster -- Georgia Anne Muldrow, Baron Zen and James Pants -- and a killer batch of old school hip hop, funk and leftfield holiday gems from James Brown, Bruce Haack, Free Design, Vince Guaraldi and more -- the most eclectic funky sleigh ride you'll ever experience! 14 tracks in all: "This Christmas Girl" by James Pants, "Close Your Mouth (It's Christmas)" by Free Design, "The Kwanzaa Song" by Georgia Anne Muldrow, "Santa's Party Rap" by Super Jay, "I Like Christmas" by Bruce Haack, "Go Power At Christmas Time" by James Brown, "Skating" by Vince Guaraldi, "What I Want For Christmas" by 69 Boys And Quad City DJs, "Santa Got A Bag Of Soul" by Soul Saints, "My Lovely Christmas" by Baron Zen and more!!!

lol69boyz