2008 tips/predictions/hopes

Benny Bunter

Any one got any good 'uns?

I'm looking forward to these (but I may well be disappointed)

Raekwon's follow up to Cuban Links

Shackleton's album

Trim getting signed and making a killer album (fingers crossed eh?)

New Boris, Sunn O))), Earth

The reassuringly inevitable swedge of billy childish albums

Reading Simon Reynolds Energy Flash and catching up on a lot of stuff I've missed (been holding out for the updated version that comes out in February)

And thats about all I can think of for now (not sure if it bodes well or not). Anyone got anything to get me excited about 2008?

tom pr

Durrty Goodz - Born Blessed,
Hopefully the P Money & Little Dee mixtape,
Part three in the Burial story,
Chipmunk's album, defo Shackleton's too.

freedom of speech
new portishead

they'll probably both disappoint but i'm a cynic.

Last edited:

gumdrops

i want to hear a dubstep album from roots manuva.

i want big dada to sign trim and get scratchy and geeneus and some other forward looking guys to to produce his album.

i want erykah badus album to be brilliant and for dangelo and bilal to each release new albums.

i hope there are more good hip hop albums and some really good new young rappers come out.

i want all these terrible retro indie bands to go away.

i want to hear more inspiring music in general really. not been very impressed with this year.

nomos

Administrator
shackleton reaches the south pole, plants skull disco flag
woofah sold to conde nast. staff laid off during retooling
kloud9: ambient collab feat. alex paterson on hyperdub
funky house meets critical acclaim. wire primer to follow in 2011
neo-rave succeded by neo-jungle. less guitar.
rash of indie rock knitting tragedies
wiley retires

nomos

Administrator
i hope trim gets his deal. and the skull disco stuff is going to be great. roots of el-b on tempa.

viktorvaughn

If I could pick one Grime success story for 08 it would have to be Trim.

I wish journos would stop sucking off Rascal as the one token Grime act in the universe and realise it is a rich 3D culture and not just a single lone genius who has managed to transcend the cultural wasteland of E3 to collaborate with incredible musical luminaries like Lilly Allen and make easily the worst music of his career.

I wish Big Dadda had done an album with Trim - Wiley sounds so grimey whilst Trim’s wordplay could easily appeal to the nerdy white backpacker MF Doom hip-hop fans who dabble with Big Dadda/Ninja Tune/UKHH. I doubt a Jammer album on BD will be that popular (is that deal actually true stories?).

straight

wings cru
-new oval. please. get off your hole popp.
-that i'll regain my musical mojo as well
-baracl obama stands down to reccommend dan deacon for president

Benny Bunter

this is close to being done...

Whats gonna be on it? Will it be all El-b stuff, or is it stuff that influenced him? Looking forwrd to this, having read so much about how good he is. Really like the tracks on Roots of Dubstep. The Burial connection made so much sense after hearing that.

doom

Public Housing
Juke music is gonna get big!!! (ok maybe not big till 2009/2010) - file this under hopes as well as predictions - chk Gantman dropping knowledge in the latest issue of Scratch (prob issue before last for US readers tho)

House & Rap return to their comman roots & all is right with the world :cool:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Things I'm excited for:

- All the grime youngers further developing and maturing their sounds
- Seeing what happens to dubstep (hoping it pulls a grime, hits the wall, slumps and has a renaissance towards the end of the year)
- The O.G.s becoming one of the new heavy-weight grime crew contenders
- A Wiley vs. Skepta clash (I swear it's already brewing)
- Working on my newly acquired radio show
- Moving back to LDN... AGAIN.

Oh yeah
- Continuing to be involved in one of the most consistently rewarding and exciting genres of music I've ever had the pleasure of hearing :)

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Whats gonna be on it? Will it be all El-b stuff, or is it stuff that influenced him? Looking forwrd to this, having read so much about how good he is. Really like the tracks on Roots of Dubstep. The Burial connection made so much sense after hearing that.

it's all from stuff he's worked on as Ghost and Grooove Chronicles.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i want leeds WI centre to either get some trees growing inna dance, or at least a cage round the dj/selector, in order to add original JA vibes.

if not, it's still the best night out in the uk for reggae. full stop.