Woebot

what a horrible thing it is!

think about it....ireland has .ie

why can't we have .uk?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Consider the poor Cook Islands.

As in http://www.trashbat.co.ck ?

Edit: Woebot, I think it's actually quite useful, as it gives you two bits of information in the url: that it's a company (or commercial concern of some kind), and that it's based int he uk. Similarly for .ac.uk, .gov.uk and so on. To me it looks weird when other countries just have the country suffix as the domain.

Last edited:

blubeat

blubeat
It's an interesting point but have you noticed that .com is no longer an indicator of a US country? A lot of UK based companies use .com as their primary domain and *if* they use .co.uk it simply redirects.

According to a Director of a uk based ".com" company I spoke to recently this is because the prevailing opinion is a ".com" address has more "weight" i.e. gives the appearance of a more more corporate company. Clearly if I wrote that on Wikipedia it would ask for a citation but it is something I am seeing a lot of. Also individuals used to register .net addresses but I now see people more registering .com addresses regardless of the fact they are an individual and not in the US.

I also just registered a personal domain for someone and they wanted ".co.uk" even though they are not a company because they "didn't like" the ".net" domain and, crucially, a ".co.uk" address is half the price of a ".com" or ".net".

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
According to a Director of a uk based ".com" company I spoke to recently this is because the prevailing opinion is a ".com" address has more "weight" i.e. gives the appearance of a more more corporate company.
I think this has been the case all along. .com was the first top level domain to come into public consciousness and has always been associated with the largest web entities with .co.uk being the choice for companies wanting to present a particular UK image.
I also just registered a personal domain for someone and they wanted ".co.uk" even though they are not a company because they "didn't like" the ".net" domain and, crucially, a ".co.uk" address is half the price of a ".com" or ".net".
With such a proliferation of top-levels available now it becomes harder to remember which one a particular site or email is attached too. Safer perhaps to stick with .com or .co.uk.