Garage Vocal CDs

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
This is an incredibly nerdy question that has just occured to me. I understand that a lot of vocals on garage records from around the turn of the century were sampled from those vocal cds you can buy, and just wondered whether there was any one brand of cds that played an especially big role or was it just a big mish mash of stuff?

swears

preppy-kei
I always assumed they sampled bits of r'n'b acapellas. And of course the "ahahahah ahahahah" bit from the beginning of "Never gonna let you go".

I second this. Same samples get used again and again, would love to know where they come from, especially acappellas. I mean, how does a vocal track recorded in a professional studio get leaked to the general public anyway. And it wasnt as if musical piracy on the net was as common either.

swears

preppy-kei
"how does a vocal track recorded in a professional studio get leaked to the general public anyway."

Acapellas on twelve inch singles.

elgato

I just dont know
I remember hearing that rights to use vocals for some of the more high profile re-rubs were often bought directly from the majors, dont know how much truth there is to that though.

But also once it got big a lot of uk artists were getting commissioned for remixes for pop / r'n'b records, so the vocals could leak that way...

I reckon a lot of the more minor vocals came from those random acapella vinyls you find banging around with loads of house vocals and such

plus a lot I believe recorded their own originals, maybe not so many by the turn of the century though i dunno

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Like for example, parts of Sincere's vocals are from a sample CD (I asked MJ Cole once). Tho i'm sure the majority of the 2step vocal samples came from r&b accapellas. That or session singers.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
ah right I've got it slightly twisted then. Out of interest, why did R and B people put out acapella cuts on 12"s, surely that was just asking to be sampled...

nomos

Administrator
I think I asked this on another thread too, but same idea re: rave vocals. If anyone has leads on good/often-used CDs i'd be interested :cool: For more recent stuff though, I'll bet Future Music CDs would offer some clues. I threw all of mine out a long time ago though. The first time I heard Rip Groove was actually when they were the featured reader submission in an issue of FM.

nomos

Administrator
hey thanks, zhao!

i know it's an easy thing to criticise but there's something i really like about the reuse of the vocals on different tracks over time, especially, the canned ones (or the ones i think are canned). like a semi-empty vessel turned into bit of a refrain.

since i very belatedly started listening to R&B from the last dozed years i've been noticing more and more garage samples. i always figured bigger producers tended to start recording their own at some point though - sometimes in conjunction with aspirations to 'real' music..

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
nice one zhao, just what i've been looking for

i posted a few clues in my vocal sample sources thread in the technology forum that might be of use to people in this thread