Pierre Henrys Disco Album

Woebot

henry.jpg

This may not be extremely rare, but I've never seen a copy of it myself before yesterday. On honeymoon in the South of France in 1998 a record store owner told me he had "a Pierre Henry LP with a mirror ball on the cover", that he'd bring it in tomorrow. However I never made it back to the shop, though I do remember sending him a copy of a book of Mati Klarwein pictures because he said he loved his art, inna guerilla love-bombing stylee.

It didnt cost me a huge amount either, 30 quid! Thats pretty reasonable. You'll find the Henry/Spooky Tooth one everwhere, but this (from 1973) must be extremely auspicious in terms of what it suggests as a musical lineage. Its almost as if just the cover itself its what is semiotically important. Its a great record though. First track is the commercial entry, sloppy disco rock with eno-in-roxy-style synthesiser skronking from Henry, the rest is pleasantly metronomic and much more electronic.

vache

Holy shit! I've never heard of this, but it sounds like it might be fantastic. I always thought that the Spooky Tooth record was, well, less-than-good. However, Henry's Michel Colombier collaboration is sublime, so his forays into to pop do hold potential.
I imagine that the sound circa 1973 of a disco-ball emblazoned cover would be more in the r'n'b-funk disco vein as opposed to the fully Cerrone-ified frech disco sound wouldn't have evolved until a couple of years hence.
Is it possible to post excerpts somewhere?
Me want.

blissblogger

scan-tastic

you haven't really retired Woebot, have you, just incorporated it in here, and made thread responses into yer comments box!

that cover stirs feelings that are almost amorous

so is the one with spooky tooth any cop then? (common as muck, you're right, always running into copies of it and totally reasonably priced, usually). i'd always assumed it was crap but then somewhere-- i think in drew dnaiel from Matmos'' excellent invis jukebox in the wire (he really is like one of the cleverest, wittiest talking-about-music guys around) he mentions it if i recall, as actually being jolly good

AshRa

I got it on a 7" reissue (with same picture sleeve) a few years ago - I think Stones Throw might have had something to do with the reissue but i'm not 100% - might be easier to track down than the LP...

francesco

Minerva Estassi
I will put it on my "GOD PLEASE REISSUE THEM" list together with Peacock "I'm the One " and a few more....
Incredible cover. I'm trying to "imagine" how it sound....

Last edited:
J

jimbackhouse

I'm positively drooling over 'I'm The One' being reissued, preferably alongside the Bley-Peacock Synthesizer Revue LP.

This Pierre Henry disco-conret LP looks stunning beyond belief. Matt, how do you manage it?? :p

I flipped out when I came across this record amongst piles of classical albums at a library sale a decade ago. Just gazing at the cover alone made me squeeze the record sleeve so hard I was afraid it'd snap from the pressure before I could pay for it. I used to play "Danse Electromatic" from it during dj sets just to have the crowd scratching their head for a moment.