good record shops in laahndan

straight

wings cru
im down at my girlfriends place in shoreditch a few times a month this weather, can any of you natives reccomend some good record shops in the area or further afield? Ive pretty much only really been to rough trade at the truman, any others appreciated

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Further afield gems include:

Raj Deep - Tooting Bec - Hindi/Bollywood
Rhythm Division - Mile End - Grime/funky
ABC Music - Southall - Desi/Hindi/Bollywood
Dubvendor - reggae/dancehall - Ladbrook Grove
some unnamed Turkish/Kurdish shop i saw on Green Lanes, just up from the edge of Finsbury Park - Manor House

Soho sill has good shops esp Uptown, Blackmarket and Sounds of the Universe.

hopper

There's a big rough trade store in Shoreditch which is probably worth a pop.
If you're going around Soho then look in Sounds of the Universe and Sister Ray. Haven't been there myself, but always order off the website Honest Jon's. The shop is on Portobello Road and has a really good selection of Jazz/Reggae and bits of Techno/Dubstep etc.

ramadanman

Vinyl Junkies

Berwick St, Soho

www.vinyl-junkies.com

Friendliest record shop i've ever been into, probs best soundsystem in a record shop i've heard as well as having piles upon piles of vinyl, rather than racks of empty plastic sleeves.

petergunn

plywood violin
if you are in Shoreditch, Beats Workin' off of Brick Lane is well worth a look... very solid prices and very fair on trade-ins (unlike the soho spots which offer you like 1/5 of what they'll sell it for...)

Beats Workin, 93 - 95 Sclater Street, E1

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Vinyl Junkies

Berwick St, Soho

www.vinyl-junkies.com

Friendliest record shop i've ever been into, probs best soundsystem in a record shop i've heard as well as having piles upon piles of vinyl, rather than racks of empty plastic sleeves.

Yeah, basically this area has a load of decent-to-great record shops all within a block of each other. Uptown and BMsoho are also in that area on D'Arblay St.

elgato

I just dont know
does anyone know how Sister Ray has managed to develop such a singularly unhelpful and obnoxious identity? i swear they must screen for people who smile and have an interest in making record shopping anything other than unpleasant

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
does anyone know how Sister Ray has managed to develop such a singularly unhelpful and obnoxious identity? i swear they must screen for people who smile and have an interest in making record shopping anything other than unpleasant
I always thought it was an 'industrial music' thing.

ripley

There used to be a nice little record shop down the far end of Chapel Market in Islington. I forget the name but it's opposite a string of all-you-can-eat vegetarian Indian buffet places.

(though if you're at Angel then Afghan Kitchen is it really).

Berwick street and surroundings is pretty rich pickings, though.. but I miss Ambient Soho!

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
There used to be a nice little record shop down the far end of Chapel Market in Islington. I forget the name but it's opposite a string of all-you-can-eat vegetarian Indian buffet places.

(though if you're at Angel then Afghan Kitchen is it really).

Berwick street and surroundings is pretty rich pickings, though.. but I miss Ambient Soho!

Unfortunately the shop in Chapel Market closed a while ago.There was another one nearby in Copenhagen Street that opened this year selling Electro/Funky and Grime.Sadly it too closed after only six months!For secondhand FLASHBACK in Essex Road is worth a look.

www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Nudge records . This is on Hanbury St. nr Spitalfields. I always have a larf goin in here, it's pretty mad but if you dig deep you tend to walk out with something interesting. Just hangin around listening to what they're playing is good too. They have a mysterious box of blank dj reggae 45"s, some of them from years back.

Leo

[mistakenly posted this on the wrong thread yesterday, oops...]

somewhat related: just saw that smallfish is closing their online store at the end of january '08, a year or so after closing the physical store on old street. they're cleaning house, all pre-January 2007 releases are 70% off.

i didn't order frequently from them but they always seemed to have a pretty decent selection.

I'm having a New Year's clearout.
Where's the best place to sell 'em?
Mostly techno / electronic promos from the last couple of years.

thanks!