An Electropop Xmas

DannyL

Wild Horses
Wonder if any of you lot can help me?

I want to get my girlfriend some electro pop CDs for Xmas - probably one of her favourite records of all time is The Knife's Heartbeats (what is it about girls and electropop? - too much Depeche Mode as a teenager I suspect). We've already got the Robyn album, Annie and Dragonette (also great, well recommended). Is there anything else that falls within this sort of sound that people think is pretty unmissable?

Any help greatly appreciated!

straight

wings cru
i cant believe dragonnette are actualy goin somewhere, i saw them at bar music hall last year and they were like a grim no doubt cover band.

sorry i'll try and be useful. try Psapp or DAT politics out, they make twinkly electronic pop with cat noises and stuff and they make my girly purr and giggle, a million times better than robyn. roisin murphys new album is good though no-where near the avant pop amazingness of her album with matthew herbert ruby blue. my favourite electro pop record this year was dan deacons spiderman of the rings, its a bit intense at times but you'll not hear a more fun record this year. First junior boys albums pretty ace on a sort of garage inflected tip. Or maybe crystal castles?

DannyL

Wild Horses
cant believe dragonnette are actualy goin somewhere, i saw them at bar music hall last year and they were like a grim no doubt cover band.

I haven't listened to the album much myself but she loves it. Have you heard the remix of "I Get Around" (by the Midnight Juggernauts)? It's amazing. One of my favourite pop moments of last year. Four minutes of shiny electonic awesomeness.

Thanks for all the recommendations. It's straight down to Rough Trade this afternoon, I think.

anhhh

Guess I’m stuck in 2006, and I don’t think that some of the following records will appear in shops in one evening.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Margaret Berger “Pretty Scary Silver Fairy” was great as a pop record but I don’t know, maybe you should like something “edgier”.
The same happens with the Linda Sundblad one.
Or the last one by Bertine Zeitlig.
<div><object width="425" height="335"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="335" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3rj0n_britney-spears-piece-of-me-le-clip_music">Britney Spears - Piece Of Me (Le Clip)</a></b><br /><i>Cargado por <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/broken-dr3am">broken-dr3am</a></i></div>
In 2007 the record is “Blackout” by Britney Spears. The guy who wrote “Handle Me” to Robyn is the same one who wrote “Piece of Me”.

<div><object width="425" height="258"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/5U6fGRybRTXJ9nwYI"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/5U6fGRybRTXJ9nwYI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="258" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3c7ek_lykke-li-little-bit_music">Lykke Li - Little bit</a></b><br /><i>Cargado por <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/deserteaglez">deserteaglez</a></i></div>
For 2008 I’ve expectations for this girl(no album until then).

DannyL

Wild Horses
Thanks very much for all those links. Annoyingly I can't watch YouTube at work so I may nick to a cafe to give 'em a viewing. Spoilt for choice now (but keep 'em coming).

For people who're into this sort of thing - another mate recommended Yelle, a female French rapper. her album (Pop Up) is only available on import thus far though.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
first thing I thought of:

8bit_christmas.gif

free mp3s available

DJ PIMP

midnight juggernauts - dystopia
sally shapiro - disco romance
chab - aeiou
chromatics - night drive
fischerspooner
ladytron

mixed_biscuits

Scritti Politti - Cupid and Psyche is pretty lush.
Grandadbob - Garden of Happiness is jolly
David Wrench?

zhao

there are no accidents
what about electro-DISCO-pop? of the Italian variety? maybe stuff on the Kitsune label would be up her white PVC mini-skirt?

straight

wings cru
the last thing we need to be doing is pushing kitsune on the poor woman after all that, its xmas for fuck sake have some compassion.

straight

wings cru
sorry, ive just spent the latter part of my year in clubs hammering french electro 3 nights a week and its taken a little piece of my soul away. and they signed the whip, the dictionary definition of whats wrong with manchester music. i still quite like ttc though.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Thanks again for all the reccies.

Last night I picked up Chromeo, Psapp and the new Roisin Murphy which should keep her dgibopping away to the New Year least. I'll refer her to this thread after Xmas so she may want to check everything else mentioned herself. I actually want to play the records myself while she's out but am restraining myself. The Psapp in particular sounded brillant.

Obviously like everytime anyone mentions a record to me I'm now want to check out all the rest of them myself :)

Zhao: I had a listen to an Italo disco electro thing last night - Crystal summink or other - I thought again, it was a bit too Donna Summer and not pure pop enough to hit the button for her. From what I've heard of the Kitsune stuff she'd probably quite like it, but if I'm not wrong (and perhaps I am) again the emphasis is probably more on the electro than the pop?

(Incidentally where does the name Kitsune come from? It's the name of an amazing courtesan character in a Bruce Sterling book)