Top 50 Hip Hop Albums Of 2007 (According To Me)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
See, you're OK with posting the fact that you thought Tears For Fears were hiphop in your retrospective of hiphop, but you leave out the BRITNEY CD in your round-up of 2007? Pleeeeeeease. Fucking put your money where your mouth is.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Ouch!

See, you're OK with posting the fact that you thought Tears For Fears were hiphop in your retrospective of hiphop, but you leave out the BRITNEY CD in your round-up of 2007? Pleeeeeeease. Fucking put your money where your mouth is.

I still haven't done my list of non-Hip Hop albums of 2007 yet...unfortunately I have yet to hear Britney's at all. I deeply apologize.

One.

gumdrops

but theyre not in numerical order! theyre just alphabetical. which one did you think was best? i havent had time to hear half of the albums on that list.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
There's a reason for that...

but theyre not in numerical order! theyre just alphabetical. which one did you think was best? i havent had time to hear half of the albums on that list.

I can't say what's the "best" Hip Hop album of the year because while I throughly enjoyed some of the albums (such as "The Cool","Below The Heavens", "Travel At Your Own Pace", "I Predict A Riot", "Art Of Life" or "Watts Happening") on this list, the average "Rap fan" would rolls their eyes at them and prefer something like "Curtis" or "T.I. Vs. T.I.P" or some other album that bored me to tears. I can't say that "Caltroit" was hands down "better" than "None Shall Pass" or "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" because the latter two albums may sound like absolute noise to you based on your personal preference.

I can't guess what other people will like, I just give my personal opinion and leave it at that. That's why I don't give numeric ratings out. It'd be a ranking system based on nothing but my own personal preference...that ain't fair, is it?

One.

gumdrops

its *your* list. so you put then in whatever numerical order you like! thats what lists are meant to be.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Gumdrops, I disagree!

its *your* list. so you put then in whatever numerical order you like! thats what lists are meant to be.

I was more focused on shining the light on just how many quality Hip Hop albums dropped this year to shut up those critics that claim that Hip Hop is dead rather than to "rank" releases full of classic material. Was Waajed's "The War LP" better than Talib Kweli & Madlib's "Liberation"? Who cares! They were BOTH ill.

One.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
well in PD's defence: he didn't say they were great albums, just that they were the best 50 of 2007.

of course I disagree with him ... as expected

but I was a bit surprised to hear him characterize all this stuff as `classic material' above

crackerjack

It'd be a ranking system based on nothing but my own personal preference...that ain't fair, is it?

Jeez, PD, we can factor that in, you know. The point is to create discussion, disagreement.

I appreciate - envy - your enthusiasm but you might take yourself a little less seriously.

that little brother album was my number one hip hop this year, great album.
surprised not to see the super chron album but i guess it isn't that well known. or, rather, it would be on my list and maybe not yours.

I think so, but I've listened to Minstrel Show a lot so I don't know if I'm burnt out on it.
Definitely worth the buy though.

gumdrops

not as good as minstrel show IMO. they need 9th wonder quite badly.

half the albums in PDs list i fear are in fact quite mediocre and 'solid' but not exactly remarkable. thats why id like to know what his top 10 is. hip hop albums are by and large crap these days. youll get some good singles here and there or on some, a handful of good album cuts but as albums? im not hearing it. i struggle to think of more than a handful that really stood out. hip hop needs to start doing EPs more, most rappers are either incapable or just disinterested in making 'proper' albums these days.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
hip hop needs to start doing EPs more, most rappers are either incapable or just disinterested in making 'proper' albums these days.

Most albums should/could be cut down to an EP or a single regardless of genre. Good albums are hard to do.

crackerjack

Most albums should/could be cut down to an EP or a single regardless of genre. Good albums are hard to do.

This is true, but why is hip hop the last bastion of the 75 minute album? (Bar dance music, where it kinda sorta makes sense cos most tracks are so long). Do you know anyone who feels shortchanged by 40 mins of brilliance rather than 20 tracks that's half good/half filler?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
That is your opinion.

i would be interested in your top 5, maybe top 10. An unranked top 50 is useless

i know no musical genre which produced 50 great albums in one year, even not hiphop in 1989 and certainly not hiphop in 2007

That's your personal opinion, then. If you heard Hezekiah's "I Predict A Riot", Ohmega Watts "Watts Happening", Waajeed's "Waajeed presents "The War LP", Ill Poetic's "The World Is Ours". Cunninglynguists "Dirty Acres", Blue Scholars "Bayani", Y Society's "Travel At Your Own Pace", Buff1's "Pure", Talib Kweli & Madlib's "Liberation", Lupe Fiasco's "The Cool", Blu & Exile's "Below The Heavens", El-P's "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" and listened to as many Hip Hop albums/EP's/mixtapes as I have from January 2007 to December 2007 (about 275+ for the entire year!) as I have then you'd know that I didn't really exaggerate with my Top 50 of 2007 list...I left stuff off by mistake! I even missed listing the new Showbiz & AG EP that dropped last week that I loved!

If you don't love Hip Hop and are just a casual listener of it, you probably wouldn't consider some things "classic material" as all "classic materia"l means is that it's comparable listening to the better/well regarded albums of the 2nd Hip Hop Golden Era of 1991 (1992-1996) 1997.

For the record "Great album/Classic album" (timeless) > "classic material" (in comparison to the crap put out nowadays).

I can't speak for everyone else...only myself. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I said Top 50 and goddamn it I MEANT TOP 50. Fuck a Top 10...I'd leave off too many excellent albums that deserve mention.

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Nah...

Jeez, PD, we can factor that in, you know. The point is to create discussion, disagreement.

I appreciate - envy - your enthusiasm but you might take yourself a little less seriously.

My favorite movies of all time are Malcolm X, Dune, Apocalypse Now Redux, The Deer Hunter, Mean Streets, Serpico, Taxi Driver, Blade Runner, Escape From New York and Full Metal Jacket.

What does that tell you about my personality?

LOL.

One.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
My favorite movies of all time are Malcolm X, Dune, Apocalypse Now Redux, The Deer Hunter, Mean Streets, Serpico, Taxi Driver, Blade Runner, Escape From New York and Full Metal Jacket.

What does that tell you about my personality?

LOL.

One.

That you share something in common with a great many people?

I'm not sure what you mean.