Wedding request

U-Basstard

tragic mix
here's the skitch...

my g/f and i are djing for 4hrs at her sister's wedding reception next week, the crowd will be comprised largely of medical folks/friends of the bride and groom, and Chinese/Malaysian family so it's going to have to be an accessible and very pop based selection. we're planning to play a lot of motown/jacksons/prince/80's pop and i'm twocking a load of cds from a mate who used to be a pro wedding DJ, but we're looking for any leftfield but sure fire selections/recommendations to make it that little bit special.

i'm sure the collective dissensus knowledge will come up with a few gems;)

crackerjack

Supersharpshooter. Guaranteed to get the most pissed dancer present falling into the wedding cake.

And tons of R&B from the last ten years that's both universally loved and brilliant.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Wing's midi version of 'Back in Black' went down a treat at a 40th b/day thing I DJed at this week. Ignore the video but here's the track

mistersloane

Supersharpshooter. Guaranteed to get the most pissed dancer present falling into the wedding cake.

And tons of R&B from the last ten years that's both universally loved and brilliant.

yup, Hit 'Em Wit Da Hee Ganga Kru mix is always a goodie as well.

No Scrubs works every time as well.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
"Sweet Little Mystery" by John Martyn, I've always wanted to hear that at a wedding...it sounds like such a wedding song until you listen closer to the lyrics, which detail a bitter break-up...but it's so smooth that most people are unlikely to notice...

Alfons

Way of the future
I played at my Cousins wedding the other day and while I did an ok job ( I think) I completely misjudged the night in a way. I brought all the pop stuff I had Beatles, Stewie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Duran Duran, Temptations etc and loads of old icelandic pop & rock... But all the crowd kept asking for was horrible hair rock and glam stuff

Kiss:confused:
Meat Loaf :slanted:
George Michael:eek:
Sálin Hans Jóns Míns :mad:

The song that wound up being the biggest success was Zorba the Greek. Circle dances with all the old uncles and aunts :)

mistersloane

George Michael:eek:

Yup, never, ever leave home without 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go'. True. I've had nights where I thought I was gonna get lynched by playing totally the wrong stuff and suddenly you put that on and everyone transforms into extras from a Hans Christian Anderson fairytale, it's very strange.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Sweet Little Mystery" by John Martyn, I've always wanted to hear that at a wedding...it sounds like such a wedding song until you listen closer to the lyrics, which detail a bitter break-up...but it's so smooth that most people are unlikely to notice...
In that vein you have to play Band of Gold as well I guess.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Any song where everyone knows the chorus but mostly only the chorus, or if the song is actually just mostly a chorus.

For instance, Come On Eileen.

mms

sometimes
chic freak out - it makes drunk people feel sophisticated

and of course

we are family by sister sledge - essential wedding stuff .

stelfox

Beast of Burden
last wedding i did. i found that you couldn't really go wrong by playing heaps of motown, the jacksons, the ojays, the temptations, tons of salsoul stuff. specific favourite wedding tracks are a steel band versions of the hustle and cissy strut that i've got, a yorkshire colliery band version of louie louie, got your money by kelis and old dirty bastard, flowerz by sweet female attitude and other gooey girly 2step, waterfalls by tlc, mr loverman and wicked in bed by shabba ranks etc. poing by rotterdam termination source also proved a risky but totally hilarious thing to play when everyone was drunk. also don't forget to play some dean martin, frank sinatra, elvis, little richard and stuff for the older folks and make sure that every hour or so you play a slow jam for couples dancing.

hint

party record with a siren
Prince - Sexy MF
into
That Kid Named Miles - Ring Of Fire
into
Pointer Sisters - Automatic

***game over***

blunt

shot by both sides
DJ Koze did a wicked remix of the Rah Band's Clouds Across The Moon (Moonboots Kick Ass mix). Played that at our wedding and it went OFF. It's kind of leftfield, but not; thus appealing to just about everybody, including those hard-to-reach, beard-stroking obscurantists.

There was a similar thread a while back. Someone had played Finley's Rainbow by A Guy Called Gerald as they walked back down the aisle as man and wife (was it Bassnation?). Awesome. You should include that in your set just for any stray Dissensians that might have gatecrashed ;)

lowest form

Wild Horses
DJ Koze did a wicked remix of the Rah Band's Clouds Across The Moon (Moonboots Kick Ass mix). Played that at our wedding and it went OFF. It's kind of leftfield, but not; thus appealing to just about everybody, including those hard-to-reach, beard-stroking obscurantists.

That's one of my all time favourites (the original)... I was always hoping i'd get to remix it first (I was planning on doing a doom-hop version though)

For weddings I would have to agree with Super Sharp Shooter - I've been to a couple of weddings where this has caused minor fun-riots.

Personally, I love hearing old 80's electrofunk pop like Cherrelle "I didn't mean to turn you on", Colonel Abrahams "Trapped", Chaka Khan "I Feel For You".

Last edited:

muser

Two Tone Stuff; Special AKA - Gangsters, The Selecter - On My Radio, Bodysnatchers - 007 Etc.
Boney M (they are cool whatever anyone says)
Dead or Alive - You Spin me Round
The Bangles - Walk like an Egyptian
The Cure - Close to me
Grand Master Flash - White Lines
Bomb The Bass - Beat Dis
Queen
Blondie
Dawn Penn - No No No
Marvin Gaye - I heard it through the grapevine
Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
Otis Reading - I cant get no satisfaction
Katrina and the Waves - Walking On Sunshine (getting into some serious cheese territory here)
Althea & Donna - Uptown Top Ranking
Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop
Betty Boo - Doin the Do
B52's - Love Shack

Some Calypso maybe? Small Island Pride -Carnival/Taxi Driver, Lord Creator - Big Bamboo, Mighty Panther - Scandal in the Family, Lord Melody - Momma Look a Boo boo, Count Lasher, Lord Kitchener etc can be a good laugh.

& balkan/Eastern European music seems to have a pretty universal appeal at the moment- Mahala Rai Banda - Mahalageasca , Fanfare Ciocarlia - James Bond Theme/Foxtrot, Balkan beatbox - Bulgarian Chicks, Goran Bregovic - Kalasnjikov/Wedding-Cocek/Ya Ya (Ringe Ringe Raja).

Last edited:

mistersloane

'Rocky Road To Dublin' by The Dubliners, or The Clancy Brothers version which I prefer

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Two Tone Stuff; Special AKA - Gangsters, The Selecter - On My Radio, Bodysnatchers - 007 Etc.
Yeah, any fairly well known 1st / 2nd wave ska should work well. Have some Toots and the Maytals or Prince Buster ready to drop.

Also old soul / motown cheese is solid gold - crack out Can't Hurry Love or something.

Girly 2step was a good call. Maybe a bit of really obvious bassline ie Heartbroken. Depending on the crowd you might do well from some old cheesy quaver stuff too - Out Of Space / Ebenezer Goode / Let Me Be Your Fantasy scenario. Or maybe Stardust or something...

I Feel Love.

Some good 50's r'n'r or 60's mod pop might be good too.

I really want to DJ at a wedding now.

STN

sou'wester
The last wedding I DJed at involved me playing the first Specials LP over and over again, very possibly on the wrong speed, having a row with a bouncer and finishing with Wuthering Heights, which always goes down well. I think I managed 54-46 was my number, but I'm not sure.

Other than that, I'd suggest Jilted John, 'If I gave you a party' by Sexual Harrassment and 'Saturday Night Under the Plastic Palm Trees' by the Leyton Buzzards.