What hosting?

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Dissensians with on-line activities... who does your hosting, and are they any good? I'm a complete beginner on the net and I don't need huge bandwidth, just want a place to hold my trax, mixes and such.

Cheers.

secretagentgel

what country are you in? being the internet means it shouldnt matter, but since it's like the majority of yr visitors will be from yr country, it's often preferable to pick something domestic. faster responses.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I like dreamhost. Loadsa space and bandwith. John Eden and Nomos are with them too.

For UK hosts, maybe check the PCPro awards which have just come out, there's a few recommendations there.

lowest form

Wild Horses
I've used 123 Reg before and whilst the hosting was fine - the support was pretty awful. Plus they can't receive emails from hotmail, meaning any questions went unanswered for months.

I currently use a friend's server, which is great because I pretty much have unlimited space (I think there's about 7.5 hours worth of music on my site) but don't get no stats, so I can't indulge my ego by seeing how many people have visited/downloaded/etc.

tryptych

waiting for a time
I use Dreamhost too, for work - they've always been very quick to respond to questions/complaints, and loads of space and bandwidth for not very much money.

Also think that they're a worker owned co-operative, and as Wikipedia notes they are "unusually transparent about their business practices" if that kind of thing appeals...

blubeat

blubeat
The above recommendations do indeed seem to point to Dreamhost. I keep meaning to check them out, especially for this unlimited bandwidth but whenever I do it always seems more expensive than the people who I will additionally recommend and that is Plugsocket.com. I have been with them for years and hosted loads of sites with them. They are a UK based site and just so incredibly easy to use and so reactive in terms of support I would probably stick with them out of loyalty. Certainly compare the two as between us here we seem to have experience and can recommend both.

tryptych

waiting for a time
I take all this back. Dreamhost have been totally useless the past few weeks. Apparently there's an ongoing problem with our mail server cluster, which means that on average once a day our email clients can't access their inboxes properly, and for an hour or two I'm unable to send or receive emails, which basically means I can't work.

They can't even tell me when the problem is going to be fixed... fucking useless.

Anyone got any other recommendations? I need somewhere that it's going to not cost an arm and a leg to transfer about 10gig of emails over to...

D

droid

Bluehost ftw. Multiple domains - one server, one account, one bill.

D

droid

Yeah, changed a while ago as I was using them for work and powwweb have gotten really bad over the last couple of years. Very happy with them. Currently have 3 sites on one account and have another 4 registered for work. No problems so far and theyre competitive with dreamhost price-wise.