Special forces raid on celebrity big brother

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I don't have a TV and had no idea this was even on but I've just read that ex SAS geezer Andy McNab has been hired to carry out a special forces type raid on the BB house this morning at 5.00am.

"Victims will be manhandled, forced into stress positions, denied sleep, isolated from each other and subjected to sensory deprivation."

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/news/2568

Is this not even more disturbing than the usual antics? What is the meaning of inserting practices such as these into mainstream 'reality' entertainment? Is it acceptable that they be accorded such implied existential legitimacy? WTF? :mad:

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Anything that deprives Andy McNabb of time which he might spend writing is A-OK by me.

Pestario

tell your friends
I wonder what the viewer's general reactions to this raid will be? Will they simply point and laugh at their suffering or abhor the practices of the SAS when they see them first hand? Depends on how it's done I guess. I suspect it won't be anywhere as brutal as a real raid.

crackerjack

I wonder what the viewer's general reactions to this raid will be? Will they simply point and laugh at their suffering or abhor the practices of the SAS when they see them first hand? Depends on how it's done I guess. I suspect it won't be anywhere as brutal as a real raid.

You mean they won't use real grenades and bullets? That's a damn shame.

crackerjack

Anyway, what's all this about? I thought Endemol announced CBB was taking a gap year after 2007's racism kerfuffle.

noel emits

Anyway, what's all this about? I thought Endemol announced CBB was taking a gap year after 2007's racism kerfuffle.
No idea, I don't even have a TV and yet I am still acting as a node in their viral marketing program. Devious buggers End-'em-All.

noel emits

I suppose it depends on who the celebs are too.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual

If the "Don't Tase Me Bro" affair here in the U.S. is any indication, expect the "point & laugh" response hammered down your throat by media commentary.

I suppose it depends on who the celebs are too.

This is part of the problem, yes? That the public will accept outrageous state brutality against citizens if they are sufficiently annoying (Don't Tase Me Bro was "asking for it" by speaking loudly, out of turn, by courting publicity)? That the spectrum of permitted behavior is shrinking while the accepted punishments for deviation are becoming more and more egregious? Using scorned celebs -- are there any other type on reality tv? -- is the perfect vehicle for this: who would defend them?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
That the spectrum of permitted behavior is shrinking while the accepted punishments for deviation are becoming more and more egregious? Using scorned celebs -- are there any other type on reality tv? -- is the perfect vehicle for this: who would defend them?

It's worse than that - the people in the 'house' this time aren't celebrities, they are norms who 'excel' in their chosen fields who are then subjected to different 'tasks' (read as torture) by 'celebrities' who 'play' Big Brother.

It would be horrific if it weren't for the fact that the viewers have turned off in droves, it's reality TV suiciding by playing 'pick on the clever kids' because, ultimately, it's their fault that one is having to work in TV anyway, 'if it wasn't for them, I'd be happy'. Yours, Disgusted of London...