New Jungle Tekno

SkyJack

Binging It back To Go forward

www.myspace.com/jtekrecords

Let us introduce J-Tek, the new label from a crew consisting of Outrage (Backlash, Metalheadz, Basement Records), Digital (Function, Timeless, Metalheadz), Modular (HardLeaders, Flex, Lab Logic), Aperture (Whisper Audio, Metalheadz, Paradox Music), and the original jungle don Randall (Mac II, Metalheadz, Reinforced) which brings back the long lost jungle techno sound. Fusing classic 4/4 rhythms and syncopated funk breakbeats, J-Tek takes us to a classic age of electronic music (1992-1994) that was short-lived, but full of energy. J-Tek serves as a bridge between the ideas of the past and the engineering of the future, and the 140-150 bpm tempo provides crossover ability with other dance genres. Once again, DJs will have the ability to build sets with elements of both house and jungle, uniting the market. Mind you, this sound differs greatly from the days of old, and the J-Tek crew is aimed at employing their own identity when creating the music, deriving inspiration from Jungle, Techno, Electro, House, Acid, Hip-Hop, Dub, and Reggae – amongst other genres.

We believe there is a need for a genre which will be accessible to all reaches of electronic music, and bring back what many labels pioneered in the early 90’s only to move on to faster tempos. Already, there are some top producers and DJs on board for the project, We plan on using this support to complement a detailed marketing strategy based on an experienced collective of label owners, including events based throughout the UK.
Our first release consists of 2 tunes:

* A - Falling Bombs - Outrage and Modular
* AA - Living In A Basement - Modular

Side A consists of a serious jungle techno tune, consisting of blended 4/4 and amen sections marching on top of a few samples which may be very familiar to the listener. As soon as the bass drops, it will undoubtedly murder the dancefloor. The tune’s content is pertinent to this day and age, and will strike a chord with anyone who has turned on their TV in the past few years only to see war, genocide, and human rights violations.

Side AA presents a masterful approach to the jungle techno sounds, and draws on dub and techno influence. Maintaining a steady 4/4 groove over bouncing subs and ethereal atmospherics before drifting into serious rave stabs, this will definitely be one for the DJ looking to get the party going. Thanks for your time.

anyone had a listen to this... any thoughts?

Seems like an attempt to recreate 92-93 4x4 hardcore/jungle at around 140bpm ripe for dubstep/ house crossover

Its an interesting direction and has some legends behind it, but maybe a little retrospective to get too excited about.

nomos

Administrator
listened to the myspace tracks. i like the idea but so far it's not doing it for me. part of what made those 93ish tunes so intense was that they sounded like a hodge podge of pieces clattering together, seeming like they might fly apart under the stress. this sounds too perfect and contained (emotionally too). plus it's still got a bit of that 'spinny' rhythmic quality that characterizes so much recent dnb. needs more weird and damaged for my tastes.

joe_muggs

listened to the myspace tracks. i like the idea but so far it's not doing it for me. part of what made those 93ish tunes so intense was that they sounded like a hodge podge of pieces clattering together, seeming like they might fly apart under the stress. this sounds too perfect and contained (emotionally too). plus it's still got a bit of that 'spinny' rhythmic quality that characterizes so much recent dnb. needs more weird and damaged for my tastes.

Quite so. Those early tracks were bodged together on Amigas or whatever, generally with 8bit sample quality etc... the grit of hardcore is difficult to get back wiht modern equipment.

D

droid

Its a great development - and from some big names too! I hope the tuneage rises to meet the ethos behind this.

There's also been similar (but less drastic) BPM related rumblings going on since last May:

Naphta said:
I'm trying to encourage dnb producers to produce some new drum n bass at slower tempos than today's industry standard. For some initial experiments in that area, check:

http://www.virb.com/space2pace

If I can get enough quality tracks submitted, I'll be putting together a compilation of the results for release. At the moment, it's early days, and most of the stuff submitted so far has been from new producers, but if we get the thing rollin, I'm confident I'll get submissions from some of the old guard in dnb too. I already have some interest from a couple, but at the end of the day, I just wanna hear good music, and I don't care who makes it.

If you get any tracks completed, please contact me on that virb page, on www.subvertcentral.com, or just pm me here.

For me, 'professional' mixdowns ain't the priority right now - just phat rollin tracks that do something a little different Any and all styles are good, just please keep submissions somewhere between 150-160bpm...

'You got to slow down...'

D

droid

Er - no. Most breaks tunes clock in at 130-140bpm.

Also - the default speed for jungle/D+B hovered around 160 for yeeeaars.

ether

nice idea, only really liked 'living in the basement' though,

its true the tools used to make old hardcore where limited, poor pitch shifting and time-stretching facilities, low bit rate and limited sample memory, the old atari, akai, a midi keyboard and a pair of hifi speakers seemed to be the standard 'set up' during the 2 bad mice era.

drum and bass has totally de-contextualized itself largely due to tempo, who says hardcore made with new tools cant be relevant, if it isn't to nostalgic that is.

How is doing something so wilfully retrograde going to revitalise anything? The fact is most of this stuff sucked the first time round. Jesus!

Though i do still sometimes play Mickey Finn "Reality" on the very rare occasions i dj.

viktorvaughn

I like the simultaneous use of quite a serious tone and palette of slang - 'As soon as the bass drops, it will undoubtedly murder the dancefloor.'

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
There's obviously an element of entitlement and resentment at the attention given to other music running around 140. 'We was doing that 15 years ago...' Still could be a good thing if it encourages more people to try slowing down and branching out.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
its true the tools used to make old hardcore where limited, poor pitch shifting and time-stretching facilities, low bit rate and limited sample memory, the old atari, akai, a midi keyboard and a pair of hifi speakers seemed to be the standard 'set up' during the 2 bad mice era.
Still wouldn't mind getting my hands on an MPC60...

zhao

there are no accidents
z-man likes it! z-man down with new jungle tekno! bring it on! z-man will mix it with bassline, funk carioca, kuduru, and grime!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
anyone had a listen to this... any thoughts?

The tracks are utterly devoid of any energy, life, meaning or purpose. Its marketing campaign and PR are cynical and disgusting. I hope it rots in Essex for the rest of its life. I haven't heard something that's made me this angry for ages, I truly hope this thread isn't serious.

DJ PIMP

Classic sound right at the split between jungle and happy hardcore. One of mates was still playing his cherished Secret Squirrel EPs (Comming on Dark) on Bogwoppa out into the late 90s. The layered breaks is one thing I really came to miss in later jungle and dnb. And the subs! Those big portamento sub waves ala The Touch by Origin Unknown.

Peaked with Terminator and nobody is ever going to make tracks quite like that again. If people could do it convincingly and manage to make it fresh I'd be all for it, but there's no u-turn is there. Its hard to catch that nice sounding grubbyness in software.

zhao

there are no accidents
what exactly is the point?? this is like the nuum equiv of the white stripes....or worse .....

The tracks are utterly devoid of any energy, life, meaning or purpose. Its marketing campaign and PR are cynical and disgusting. I hope it rots in Essex for the rest of its life. I haven't heard something that's made me this angry for ages, I truly hope this thread isn't serious.

would this be rightly called a "rockist" stance?