The Future of Labour

vimothy

yurp
dominic's great posts (and Gavin's criticism of my response) in the A Few Things... thread got me thinking about labour markets and their movements under the conditions of globalisation. The real issue (for developed economies) is at least as much one of jobs lost to technology as globally liberalised competition. In any case it is a fascinating and important subject. Ed Leamer, in his "review" (it's not really a review) of The World Is Flat, identifies a new trend: that technological advancements, in the post-industrial age, will no longer reduce inequality, as they did in the industrial age, but increase it.

The Coming of the Post-Industrial Age

Finally, I want to comment on what I think is the big issue. It isn’t globalization or a flat world; it’s technology and the post- industrial labor markets.
The US is in the midst of a radical transformation from industrial to post-industrial society. Some of this transition is associated with the movement of mundane manufacturing jobs to low-wage foreign locations, but much of it comes from the dramatic changes in technology in the intellectual services sectors. The policy response to the globalization force is pretty straightforward: we need to make the educational and infrastructure investments that are needed to keep the high-paying non-contestable creative jobs here at home and let the rest of the world knock themselves silly competing for the footloose mundane contestable jobs. The response to the technological trends that are altering the nature of the relationship-based jobs is not so clear-cut.

The US transition from an agrarian to an industrial economy that began in the 18th Century was put on hold during the Great Depression but accelerated during both WWI and WWII. Excluding the war years of 1942-45, the transition to an industrial society reached its zenith in the 1950s with 30% of our workforce in manufacturing and 10% in agriculture. The high-growth Kennedy/Johnson expansion of the 1960s kept the jobs in manufacturing at 28%, but the transition to a postindustrial society began in earnest in the 1970s. While jobs in agriculture continued to decline throughout the century, dropping now to only about 1% of our workforce, there has also been a sharp drop in employment in manufacturing in the last three decades, falling in the most recent data (2005) to only 11% of our workforce. The speed of this decline after 1970 from a 28% share to a 11% share in manufacturing is every bit as rapid as the speed in the decline of agricultural jobs in the first seven decades of the 20th Century.

This transition to the post-industrial age has consequences that are at least as profound as the transition from agriculture to industry. This will alter the way wealth is created and all that flows from the “means of production,” including politics and social structures.

Marx and The Transition from Agriculture to Industry

Studies of the transition from agrarian age to industrial age hint at what the next transition might entail. Nathan Rosenberg, Inside the Black Box, page 42, offers a cogent view of technology and production in the industrial age:

“Although, therefore, the manufacturing system achieved a growth in productivity through the exploitation of a new and more extensive division of labor, a rigid ceiling to the growth in productivity continued to be imposed by limitations of human strength, speed and accuracy. Marx’s point, indeed, is more general: Science itself can never be extensively applied to the productive process so long as that process continues to be dependent upon forces the behavior of which cannot be predicted and controlled with the strictest accuracy. Science, in other words, must incorporate its principles in impersonal machinery. Such machinery may be relied upon to behave in accordance with scientifically established physical relationships. Science, however, cannot be incorporated into technologies dominated by large-scale human interventions, for human action involves too much that is subjective and capricious. More generally, human beings have wills of their own and are therefore too refractory to constitute reliable, that is, controllable inputs in complex and interdependent productive processes.” (My italics.)

“Relics of by- gone instruments of labor possess the same importance for the investigation of extinct economical forms of society, as do fossil bones for the determination of extinct species of animals. It is not the articles made, but how they are made, and by what instruments, that enables us to distinguish different economical epochs.” Marx, Capital, quoted by Rosenberg, page 40.​

Not all tasks can be embodied in equipment

Thus, per Marx, we are what we operate, and what was essential about the industrial age is not what we produced but how we produced it. During the industrial age, Science and Industry collaborated to embody in equipment those tasks that are repetitive, codifiable and programmable, thus freeing the productive process from the caprice of human intervention. Mechanization of work was not limited to manufacturing and occurred also on the farm. But mechanization of services was much more limited. Getting a haircut in 2005 is not much different from getting a haircut in 1850. And having a will drawn up in 1970 was about the same as having a will drawn up in 1900.

The mundane physical tasks that have been left to humans require a degree of dexterity that is difficult (expensive) to achieve with a machine, but year after year advances in Science transfer more and more of these functions to machines. Meanwhile, the economic liberalizations over the last three decades have added to the global workforce an enormous number of workers in Mexico, and Brazil and China and India and so on, offering to do the mundane physical tasks at rates of pay that are barely subsistent. Thus globalization and technology have ganged up after 1970 to rapidly reduce the demand for mundane physical labor in the US.

Most of the innovations of the Industrial age have made very little encroachment on intellectual tasks, mundane or otherwise. An attorney, an architect, a teacher all did about the same work in 1970 as they did in 1800. Absent innovations in production and communication, one might imagine a globalized post-industrial US in which mundane physical tasks like cutting hair would remain only in the local non-traded sector, and the rest of the jobs would be mixtures of mundane- intellectual tasks (clerks), creative-intellectual tasks (designers and researchers and repairmen) and social/organizing/motivating tasks (managers).

But the microprocessor has changed the future of intellectual work, eliminating the mundane-intellectual tasks. Think about an architect. In 1970 the time of a creative architect was partly consumed by the task of rendering the drawings. Some of this work could be done by assistants, but the communication costs were often so high that it made more sense to have the master do the drawings. The personal computer, however, allowed the architect to render the drawings with great efficiency, thus freeing up time to do the creative tasks that the computer cannot ever perform. While for mundane programmable tasks, it is true that “human beings have wills of their own and are therefore too refractory to constitute reliable, that is, controllable inputs in complex and interdependent productive processes,” the opposite is true for creative tasks. It is machines that lack wills of their own and are therefore too obedient to constitute reliable, that is, innovative inputs in complex and interdependent creative processes. Indeed, when I teach data analysis I emphasize the constant struggle between machine and man for control of the process. We data analysts really want to be able to press a button and have the computer do the work, but the creative task of drawing inferences from data always requires a heavy human input, and if, through laziness and seduction, we come to imagine that the computer can think, we will surely be making major misinterpretations of the data. When one starts to lose control and not know if one button on the computer is any different from another, it is wise to shut the computer down and go play a round of golf. The human will be better able to maintain control after a little time off.​

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
[Continued...]

Is a computer a forklift or a microphone?

Education may be a solution to the temporary and permanent income inequality problems caused by the increased supply of Microprocessors. We just need to teach everyone how to write computer code. This might work, but it might not. I like to raise some doubts by posing the rhetorical question; “Is a computer more like a forklift or more like a microphone?” It doesn’t matter much who drives the forklift, but it matters a lot who sings into the microphone. Think about the forklift first. You might be a lot stronger than I, but with a little bit of training, I can operate a forklift and lift just as much as you or any other forklift operator. Thus the forklift is a force for income equality, eliminating your strength advantage over me. That is decidedly not the case for a microphone. We cannot all operate a microphone with anywhere near the same level of proficiency. Indeed, I venture the guess that I would have to pay you to listen to me sing, not the other way round. And I seriously doubt that a lifetime of training would allow me to compete with Springsteen, or Pavarotti.

The effect of the microphone and mass media have been to allow a single talented entertainer to serve a huge customer base and accordingly to command enormous earnings. This creates an earnings distribution with a few extremely highly paid talented and trained individuals and with the vast group of slightly less talented working in LA restaurants, hoping someday to hit it big. Thus, opposite to the forklift, the microphone creates a powerful force for inequality. Think Silicon Valley, with extraordinary riches accruing to some, but with the service workers living in their cars because they cannot afford the homes.

A computer is both a forklift and a microphone. Clerks in MacDonalds no longer have to be able to read or to compute - they only have to recognize the picture of a hamburger on the cash register. That’s the forklift. It doesn’t much matter who punches the buttons. Thus your intelligence advantage over me is eliminated by the computer, just as your strength advantage was eliminated by the forklift. But for many other operations it matters enormously who types on the computer. One example is computer programming. The vast majority of people are incapable of producing commercially viable computer code. That’s the microphone. It amplifies your natural advantages. Without a computer, an architect’s time is partly consumed by mundane tasks such as rendering drawings. A lawyer’s time is consumed writing and checking sentences in wills. An economist’s time is consumed making data displays. These mundane tasks are now transferred to computer assistants, who listen infinitely more attentively and who carry out the tasks with much greater precision than any human assistant. A talented architect with a computer assistant can serve a much enlarged customer base. A talented attorney, or a talented economist, or a talented radiologist, with computer assistants, can serve much enlarged customer bases. These talented individuals command high wages while the less talented struggle for customers.

Computer technology seems therefore to be taking us into a future where there are a few very talented very well-paid people, and the rest of us are doing the mundane computerassisted tasks which don’t require us to read, write or even think very much. Just push the right button now and then.

In other words, the information revolution may be a powerful force for income inequality by raising the compensation for natural talents and also the interaction between talent and training. It is the interaction between talent and training that is particularly difficult to deal with. If talent and training had additive effects on earnings, then compensatory education for the disadvantaged could be a low-cost solution for income inequality problems. But if training is much more effective for the talented, the talented will naturally receive more of it, and the amount of compensatory training that is needed to equalize incomes may be enormous and a great social waste - think of me and Pavarotti again.​

vimothy

yurp
Ardent free-trader Jagdish Bhagwati comes out in favour of the EFCA:

The proposed Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA), which passed the House on March 1, 2007, but was blocked by a Republican filibuster in the Senate, has now been reintroduced and still faces opponents in many quarters. Several economists and business groups deplore its promotion of a "card check" system, which would enable a simple majority of workers to sign up for a union and so avoid the subsequent holding of a secret-ballot election (under Section 2 of the act). These opponents deride the use of the phrase "free choice" in legislation that they see as denying it. And it is, indeed, hard to defend the denial of an automatic secret ballot.

But while these issues will doubtless be debated, and the actual legislation will go through the usual legislative mauling and modification, the current debate misses the essential reason why EFCA makes sense, a reason that has led a stout defender of free trade such as myself to endorse it....