crappest indie attempts at modernity

STN

sou'wester
I googled The Nubiles today, in an effort to hear their song 'Layabout' which I recall quite liking in about 1705, only to find that they had a song called 'Single Mum Barbie'. Can anyone think of a more risible attempt at being all archly cynical and contemporary? Anything about slaying boybands is obviously going to be a winner.

Layabout WAS a good song, though.

swears

preppy-kei
Haha... that one hit they had is my most depressing record ever.

"Where did you goooo..."

*Wrists slashed instantly*

martin

----
I suppose the Period Pains' "Spice Girls (who do you think you are)" qualifies.

I can't remember any of the song titles but Helen Love had a run of singles around 96-97 where they couldn't stop namechecking the internet.

STN

sou'wester
I suppose the Period Pains' "Spice Girls (who do you think you are)" qualifies.
QUOTE]

oh GOD.

I'm sure some bunch of idiots did a song about pop tarts becuase, not only is it such a great pun, they're kind of processed and overly sweet as well! Perfect for crap, pseudo-punk jibing.

martin

----
"Pop Tarts" suddenly rings a bell. Steve Lamacq probably played it every night for a week, then the band went bust.

If anyone's guilty of this kind of bullshit, it must be Sleeper. Not that I can swear it, cos I never listened to them, but surely they were the indie equivalent of rushing silence and straining while trying to think of something really witty?

STN

sou'wester
Apparently Sol Seppy did a song called Supermarket sweep - i have no idea who they are.

There must be some Criminal Justice Act ramblings out there, or is that not arch enough?

I suppose Bring me the head of Michael Portillo is actually quite a funny name for a song.

STN

sou'wester
You love it really. I bet even now you're wearing a short-sleeved Carter USM t-shirt over a long-sleeved sweatshirt.

martin

----
You need to start digging around the Senseless Things / 3 Colours Red mine if you want to hit real trite gold...

STN

sou'wester
The only thing I know about Three Colours Red is that they had a song called 'Nuclear Holiday', which fits the case for the prosecution.

martin

----
Fucking hell, have you seen the lyrics to 'Ex-Teenager' by Senseless Things? I can't believe my youth was such a plastic sham existence, if only I'd heard this 15 years ago:

Sick of leftover human beings
All belief is what you make
Another bullshit of society
Current science dictates
That I'll know more in retrospect
But just say less

Age twelve and an ex-teenager
Shut yer mouth and be happier
Tried it once - never could do
There's too much marriage and barriers
I'll know more in retrospect
But just say less

It's scaring me to hell
Taught to suck cock in school
So teach y'self to smile
As you kill - well that's so cool

Sick of leftover human beings
All belief is what you make
Take a blindfold to double standards
Don't believe anything's at stake

I'll know more in retrospect
But just say less

Can't remember any Criminal Justice Act songs, but there must be some anti-rave /acid house tunes.

STN

sou'wester
I was trying to think of anti-rave ones but I keep getting stuck on Jungle Bungle by Starkey Banton, and that obviously won't do at all.

swears

preppy-kei
You haven't lived if you haven't seen Cast live

Have seen the singer around Liverpool a few times. The Coral hanging around rubbish student nights a couple of times too, always with loads of hangers on.

I don't hate these fellas personally though. Structural evil, innit. ;)