Forward Riddim Played on Hot 97 in New York

Dubquixote

Submariner
Something very big and very surprising just happened on the radio. Cipha Sound, the heir apparent to Funkmaster Flex on Hot 97 fm in New York City (the biggest hip hop station in the city) just played the Forward Riddim during his Saturday prime time slot. I'm actually not sure which version it was. Not "Pow."

But he set it up by saying something like, "Y'all may not know about what you're about to hear, or even understand what he's saying, but this is what's going down on the streets of London..."

Totally strange and amazing, and something that I never thought would happen.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
That's pretty wild. Did it come on pretty much out of the blue?

What else did the dj say about it or was that it?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Hotshot spits "ragga" style at the end of the original FWD

It could be any number of versions of it though.

That's a good look though.

luka

the westwood connection at work i spose. he had nicky slim ting on to talk about the link up today but it was just as i was leaving work so i missed most of the interview. anyone hear that?

DavidD

can't be stopped
Yeah I think this is really cool, of all the songs that have a chance to blow here in the states I'd say that's the most likely. I was pretty confident that Dizzee wasn't gonna blow, shit was too weird. FWD rhythm definitely has a shot. I hope it burns up the request lines.

luka

i don't think i've heard rockstar fullstop. you're suggesting they sound exactly the same i spose. i like the link up cos its got a good demon verse and sharkie major's on it and at the begininng of the video they're on my road, a couple minutes walk from my house.

luka

at the begininng of the video they're on my road, a couple minutes walk from my house.

oh, if anyone wants to use that information to try and find me to beat me up you'll have to think of something else cos i don't live there anymore, i just grew up there. you could try the dogtrack but you'd have to bring people cos i don't work on my own. and i got the metal pole in the hut! and you don't know what i look like, and why would you want to beat me up anyway? that's just mindless aggression!

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Are you surprised that dancehall was played at such a time and was hyped or the fact that he mentioned London? What's the state of dancehall on US airwaves anyway? I turned on my local urban station yesterday during the 8pm big mix show and they played dancehall for at least 15 minutes. I don't really follow it so I don't know if the tunes where pop US crossovers or what but it was still pretty surprising to hear it like that.

Dubquixote

Submariner
nah man, they play dancehall non-stop on hip hop radio. the surprising thing is that they played GRIME on u.s. hip hop radio, and basically set it up as this hot new alien sound from urban london. since commercial hip hop radio has earned a reputation for being rather insular, it surprised me that they were (rightfully) acknowledging grime's place as a frontier for fresh beats and mc's (a status which uk hip hop has never earned here).

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Oh Forward riddim is a grime thing....

Haha, how embarassing, totally not following there. I guess the "riddim" part threw me off.