U.S. hip-hop singles thread

DavidD

can't be stopped
I figure we might as well start one of these.

What are people's favorite singles from this year?

If you need some reminders we posted a pretty massive list of good ones over at Many Shrimp.

A top ten I put together in about 1 minute:

Slim Thug, T.I. and Bun B - Three Kings
T.I. - Rubberband Man
Jadakiss – The Champ is Here
Lil Wayne - Go DJ
Slim Thug, Mike Jones and Paul Wall – Still Tippin’
Snoop Dogg - Drop it like its Hot
Three 6 Mafia, DJ Kay Slay, Lil’ Whyte, Frayser Boy – Who Gives A Fuck Where You From
Trick Daddy - Let's Go
Trillville - Get Some Crunk in Yo System
Ying Yang Twins ft. Trick Daddy – What’s Happenin’

luka

well lean back owned this year, obviously, but i like juvenile's slow motion, even if it's not exactly orginal.

DavidD

can't be stopped
I like Slow Motion ok, I just wish it was just chorus w/ no verses bcuz Juvenile was pretty boring on that track.

His best song this year is Nolia Clap, or better yet the nolia clap remix. I usually dj house parties for white hipsters but I did a party the other night that was 90%+ black and it was so great that i could play nolia clap and everyone knew when to clap.

Last edited:

robin

its weird,i've listened to so much rap in the last year,more than any other type of music but i haven't heard most of those tracks
i'll probably download the ones mentioned upthread,so if anyone else has any recommendations let me know

anyway,the tracks i've really liked so far this year,mostly fairly obvious

ludacris-stand up (i heard the other day that this is a kanye west production,which seems fairly
surprising...either way,not one of luda's best performances in terms of the rapping,but jesus the production is so fucking chunky)

i really liked lean back as well

run by ghostface was excellent (were there any other singles of the pretty toney album?if so they're on the list)

school by masta killa is incredible as well,the tempo changes are so weird,the more i listen to it the more i get into it

not sure if grits by rza was a single,i got it off fluxblog,but i really like it too...

i see dead people by redman if that came out this year

i quite like headsprung by ll cool j,though if it hadn't come on 1xtra right now i wouldnt have remembered it

jesus walks is great,so over the top and all that but i really enjoy it every time i hear it...

in my life by juveline is really good too,its so menacing,but its a really nice sound

JoB

1. Nas/Olu Dara: Bridging The Gap
2. Kanye West: Jesus Walks
3. Jay-Z: 99 Problems
4. Ghostface featuring Jadakiss: Run
5. Memphis Bleek featuring Jay-Z: Yes
6. Beanie Sigel featuring Peedi Crakk & Twista - Gotta Have it
7. Dilated Peoples featuring Kanye West: This Way
8. Twista featuring Kanye West & Jamie Foxx: Slow Jamz
9. Murs: Bad Man
10. The Roots: Don't Say Nuthin'

DavidD

can't be stopped
Robin - "Tush" was also a single from the Ghostface album, and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding which I like more which is strange because they're both so different! If you can find the video for Tush, make sure to check it out. Ghostface and Missy in a bowling alley!

scissors

Turf Talk ft. E-40 - Slumper
Mobb Deep - Got it Twisted
Petey Pablo - Freek-a-leek
Ghostface ft Jadakiss - Run
Federation - Hyphy (also w/ E-40) and Go Dumb
Memphis bleek - Yes and Murda Murda
Ying Yang Twins - Salt Shaker
Snoop - Drop it Like It's Hot
J-kwon - Tipsy
Lloyd Banks - On Fire
and dare I say Nelly's Flap Your Wings

Backjob

I really liked Lil Wyte - "I sho will" - was that this year?

Also Petey Pablo - "Get on dis motorcycle" and Mobb Deep - "Real Gangstaz".

Andy K

"______"
Fabolous - Breathe
Jay-Z - 99 Problems
David Banner - Crank It Up
Snoop Dogg - Drop It Like It's Hot
Ghostface - Run
Juvenile - Nolia Clap
Nas - Thief's Theme
Young Gunz - Friday Night
Lloyd Banks - On Fire
Pastor Troy - Ridin' Big

nick.K

gabba survivor
i heard a new T.I. ft Jay-Z last night that caught my attention but missed the title, and something like Last Call with Big Boi. And Bleek's 'Yes' always gets turned up (I got a ticket because of this track), Lean Back remixes have been on loop and Terror Squad's Hum-Drum offen gets restarted and jacked up if I don't notice it coming on. But that'd only be the last few weeks, my favourites regularly shift.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Wait "Last Call" is a single? Hot.

The new T.I. single is pretty good, it's called "Bring em out" and it samples Jay-Z. Swizz Beats produces. I don't like it as much as Rubberband Man or anything but its good. He sounds like Joe Buddens on it.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Ja Rule has a new single and it's actually good! Its with Fat Joe and Jada and its called "New York New York"

polystyle

a quick 10

Jay-Z : 99 Problems (thank you Rick)
Petey Pablo: Freek - a - Leek
Ghostface : Run
Ying Yang Twins : Salt Shaker
Mobb Deep : Got It Twisted
J-Kwon: Tipsy
Juvenile: Slow Motion
tho's it's more pop then pure hop - Usher's : Yeah
Kukoo Da Baga Bonez : Politic
and tho it's prolly still Import only The Rammellzee feat.Shockdell: Pay The Rent