redshape

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
any thoughts on this character??
i think at times he is a little guilty of ripping on mr craig too much... but its a nice counter-point to the minimal overkill.... and its nice and wonky so its very 2008 i guess.

joe_muggs

any thoughts on this character??
i think at times he is a little guilty of ripping on mr craig too much... but its a nice counter-point to the minimal overkill.... and its nice and wonky so its very 2008 i guess.

Oh christ is 2008 the Year Of Wonk or something? :( :( :( :( :(

I think he's distinctively spiky enough to differentiate v clearly from CC; him and T++ have got me excited about techno in a way that nothing much else has for along time.

There's a killer live set doing the rounds online... can't remember the url but it shouldn't be hard to find - and should quell any thoughts about him being derivative.

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
shouldve added the old ;) haha...

i agree to an extent , craig is clearly a big influence but he is not a total copyist.... would be great to see him at fabric or panorama bar.....

i think someone like sleeparchive is far more derivative at times.... though i never got we he did not do more stuff like the shut up and dance tune or the see mi yah remix , which for my taste is a work of genius.....

joe_muggs

yeah Sleeparchive just played it too straight... there's a lot to be said for sleek and slick but I dunno it didn't have much rawness. The only Sleeparchive release that really moved me was 'Dusty Galaxies' and that was a different person, right?

I think Redshapes got as much of that aggro Pansonic bite to his sound as he has Craig groove.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
him and T++ have got me excited about techno in a way that nothing much else has for along time.
Haven't heard redshape, but am curious about T++. I really liked his earlier stuff as Dynamo, Various Artists, etc. Is his T++ material anything like that?

Does his joining Monolake mean they might make some OK music again?!

('scuse me while i sidetrack the thread)

straight

wings cru
been enjoying redshapes resident advsor set, think it was live about may or so. he is doing some dates in the UK including the killer sequence bday night with matthew dear, surgeon and loads of other tougher techy folk

Leo

The only Sleeparchive release that really moved me was 'Dusty Galaxies' and that was a different person, right?

really? who? that track does sound a bit different from the rest of his stuff. first i've heard about this, curious to know...

Leo

sleep archive is three different people.

get outta here! philip sherburne did an interview with him in the feb 06 wire, said his name was stephan metzger (which was actually an alias: real name roger semsroth, who used to record as skanfrom).

maybe that's your three people right there. ;)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Gave the live set on redshape's website a listen and didn't really enjoy it at all. Might be more vibesy in a club rather than in a 16-year-old car stereo, though. D'ya reckon? ;)

I see he's remixing one of NZ's most enduring nice nice / housey techno producers, which seems cool... not because I'm a patriot, but because he's a good guy. :)

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
what do people think of this anonyminity and techno thing? personally i think its a pile of crap because inevitably it just draws more attention to the identity of the producer and the music can get lost in the shuffle. It's also artificial, fair enough these people liked the good ole days when it was hard to find out who did what, but to deliberately block people from gaining this information just seems so...arrogant in a way really.

tox

Factory Girl
what do people think of this anonyminity and techno thing? personally i think its a pile of crap because inevitably it just draws more attention to the identity of the producer and the music can get lost in the shuffle. It's also artificial, fair enough these people liked the good ole days when it was hard to find out who did what, but to deliberately block people from gaining this information just seems so...arrogant in a way really.

I agree. It all seems a little like the Slipknot mask wearing, which under the guise of leaving it "all about the music" just makes draws a massive amount of attention.

Nevertheless Redshape is pretty damn good. Not sure where the Sleeparchive comparisons come in though!

elgato

I just dont know

i have confused feelings, on the one hand i applaud any effort to do something which subverts the standard dynamic, but on the other there is a substantial question as to whether such played out vibes can do that any longer... i certainly think it has to be judged very differently from those who did it 15 or so years ago. now it seems as much a reactionary, conservative move as anything

when i saw him play it pissed me off, to the extent that i didnt really enjoy his set. primarily because of the context, but still, for one reason or another it came off very very arrogant, and rubbed me up entirely the wrong way.

some of his tunes are brilliant though. but he is a long way from Carl Craig imo, i find his sound caustic, abrasive, industrial and inhuman, wheras CC is the opposite most of the time

straight

wings cru
get outta here! philip sherburne did an interview with him in the feb 06 wire, said his name was stephan metzger (which was actually an alias: real name roger semsroth, who used to record as skanfrom).

maybe that's your three people right there. ;)

he definitely mentioned an ep by a different artist in the wire article, the question of live material came up and at the time i think he was only playing dubs of his own tunes, not the ones by the other shadowy members. He also admitted to doing it all on Reason, a question he dodges on that test industries piece. The beatless glitcy section on the newer papercup/mri 12 are so ripped off from the concept 1 interludes that they are a flat out waste of space. he needs these delusions of nipped the bud and cocentrate on what he's actually good at.

Richard Brophy

hmm...who knows, but i think he's yankin' the interviewer's chain. kinda trust sherburne not to be punked on a story.

erm, he's not. I did the interview but I also know Roger privately - he has been over to play my club in Dublin and there are other people involved in this project.

thanks

Leo

erm, he's not. I did the interview but I also know Roger privately - he has been over to play my club in Dublin and there are other people involved in this project.

hmm...ok, well, i guess that settles that! philip s. posts on here occasionally, maybe he can throw in his two cents.

childrentalking

Haven't heard redshape, but am curious about T++. I really liked his earlier stuff as Dynamo, Various Artists, etc. Is his T++ material anything like that?

Does his joining Monolake mean they might make some OK music again?!

('scuse me while i sidetrack the thread)

He's left Monolake now, I believe. And he's been responsible for the rhythmic side of some of their more recorded recent output, as far as I'm aware, so perhaps that answers your question there.

As for T++: yes, it's very much in line with his previous work. In terms of sheer distinctiveness of sound, I'd rank the project as his highest achievement to date. (Those Chain Reaction 12"s take some beating in terms of all round love).

T++ is a merging of Dynamo's breakbeat techno with Chain Reaction style filtering and metallic decayed melodies, with one key addition: the most ridiculous sub-bass. Room enveloping stuff. I'd tip 'Allied'/'Tensile' as his best effort so far; 'Space Pong' is just totally out there, structurally (complete with unexpected transition into a sick, Timbaland-esque rhythm for the final third); his remixes of Marcell Dettmann on MDR his most straightforward, floor friendly techno efforts (they drop the breakbeats, just proper, rough as nails heads-down Berlin dub techno).

Last edited: