Vampire *fucking* Weekend

This music makes me want to kill myself...

I really should just ignore them but I just had to endure a drunk car ride home with this fucking album of utter worthless dreck and I needed to drunkely vent, been awhile since music has made me so angry...

i don't think i can be friends with people who listen to this...

:mad::mad::mad:

cutups

This band seems to have reached a critical mass this week - I've heard about them from four different sources. Checking out some MP3's, they sound like something a latter day Paul Simon would be doing. Not my cup of tea, but whatever.

swears

preppy-kei
Haven't heard them yet, but I'm sure they're totally awesome. Ordered the album off Amazon already.

STN

sou'wester
B-b-b-b-but, they're the most exciting new band since Dawn of the Replicants!

I haven't heard them. Actually, I bet I have, and they were so ordinary I couldn't link them to the hype or see why they were in any way different.

STN

sou'wester
Has Alan McGee waded in yet? I'm planning to think the opposite of whatever he does....

straight

wings cru
are they as boring as yeasayer? they seem to dumped in with them and gang gang dance but neither even come near them

mms

sometimes
i like some of it. it's quite preppy indie informed by african music in a way that's not self conscious which is good, their songs are good it's good pop.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i actually think they're really good. the massive fuss about them is a bit much, but like mms says the music is actually pretty decent. it is, however, pop and i know that's becoming an increasingly dirty word around these here parts...

STN

sou'wester
Maybe I'm just a vitriolic old bat, but there was an article in the paper in which someone was saying 'this is simply so exciting I must find a new name for this type of music!' and I just thought, oh god... Anyway, should hear for myself before pouring scorn really... I certainly wouldn't expect them to be pop though - I thought they were of the Bloc Party/British Sea Power mould, i.e. boring rock made by (alledgedly, at any rate) interesting people.

tom pr

Maybe I'm just a vitriolic old bat, but there was an article in the paper in which someone was saying 'this is simply so exciting I must find a new name for this type of music!' and I just thought, oh god...
maybe he should ask david byrne or jonathan richman to suggest one. ;)

I agree with mms and stelfox though: the hype is a bit silly and probably more reflective of the fact there hasn't been a new white guitar band for people to get excited about since the arcade fire, but they're a perfectly nice pop group. have people heard Talk? I reckon if the pitchforkworld pick up on them they'll go even more mental.

CHAOTROPIC

on account

"i am in love with this band!
they are intoxicating, i cant wait to get their cd!!!!"

SHIT AWFUL campfire rubbish. Mungo Jerry without the 'hit'. Why do they bother??

i may have been a bit harsh on them last night...

but really they were the last thing i wanted to hear after a getting a bit too mashed for a friends birthday on a Monday night...

I won't listen to them ever again if i can help it(but I know thats gonna be impossible at this point)

p.s.

and i do like pop, but rarely pop with guitars anymore...

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

"i am in love with this band!
they are intoxicating, i cant wait to get their cd!!!!"

SHIT AWFUL campfire rubbish. Mungo Jerry without the 'hit'. Why do they bother??

I think it's no exaggeration to say these guys will be this millennium's Beatles.

Never heard anything from them, but I'm already annoyed because I always see their name somewhere and think "yay, something new from (the excellent) Vampire Can't" and then realize it's not about them. :mad:

audiofelch

they're utterly flaccid.

shouldn't a high life influenced indie-rock/pop band at least be a bit more rhythmically propulsive than this?

i hate this shit!

Octopus?

Listening to the album right now, and it's really quite good...don't know what everyone's so up in arms about. What's wrong with "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" or "M79"? The later is actually one of the more interesting pop tunes I've heard in a while. Only midway through, though, so maybe I should start gearing myself up for an attack of cynical malaise after the halfway point.