Militant hip-hop?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I've just been hugely energised by listening to the first Dead Prez album (well, the first side) again - it had a similar effect on me as hearing Fear of a Black Planet back in the day.

However, my music collection contains precious little else of a hip-hop bent with this kind of raw, angry energy (Ice Cube, and NTM and other French rappers aside...but here I have difficulty understanding the lyrics). Any ideas of how to bolster this side of my collection?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I remember 'All About Eve' well. Have it on tape somewhere... At the time, I never really clocked that they were (gulp) Marxists.

zhao

there are no accidents
i recently downloaded some Mexican and Peruvian political (zapatista) hiphop. but i ain't had time to go through it yet...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Doing some research into Paris, I was astonished to discover that his second album was part-produced by a young DJ Shadow.

Is this common knowledge?

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
You guys remember Dirty Kuffar from a few years back?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
You would probably like more Immortal Technique.

Classik.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A friend of mine has a CD by Fonky Family, which is pretty militant - again, French, but it's quite cool listening out for all the niquez this and niquez that. Great for sticking it à l'Homme, as it were. :cool:

nomos

Administrator
i really liked paris a lot, the first album more than the second one. hard to imagine a track called 'bush killa' being made these days.

the first x-clan album (http://www.discogs.com/release/1052547) is still a favourite of mine. 'day of outrage' was about marching on the brooklyn bridge after the yusef hawkins killing. great mix of the city and outer space - nyc afrocentric militancy + p-funk-driven afrofutrism. professor x is the son of activist sonny carson and brings the good and bad of his dad's politics to the mix. this was also back when beef between crews was as likely to be over the fineries of revolutionary politics - e.g. brother j dissing krs-one for calling himself a humanist rather than a pro-black radical nationalist.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The first Stuck Mojo album is pretty cool. Hendrix/Sabbath/Pantera-inspired groove metal with arse-kicking angry political rap over it; the band actually predated RATM/nu-metal by a couple of years but only got round to putting out a CD in 1995. Shame they got a bit embarrassing after that.

crackerjack

The Coup are certainly worth a listen.

Glad to see someone has mentioned them. Never really sounded angry enough to meet the typical definition idea of militancy, but their ideas were generally better thought through and "Presto, read the Communist Manifesto" is one of rap's great opening lines.

ripley

Glad to see someone has mentioned them. Never really sounded angry enough to meet the typical definition idea of militancy, but their ideas were generally better thought through and "Presto, read the Communist Manifesto" is one of rap's great opening lines.

they are militant because they advocate armed overthrow of the government. You don't have to sound angry when you say
"Tell him it's a boom in child prostitution
When he show up at the stroll give him lead restitution
You could throw a twenty in a vat 'o hot oil
When he jump in after it watch him boil
Toss a dollar in the river and when he jump in
If you can find he can swim
put lead boots on him and do it again!

I love "five million ways to kill a CEO"