explain music now

luka

i don't understand music. i don't know what people mean when they say words like
meoldy, key, pitch, scale, notes, chords, harmony
explain it to me please.

DJ PIMP

pitch - the frequency of a sound that makes it appear higher or lower to our ears. a kick drum has a low pitch (doof), a triangle has a high pitch (ting)

note - a sound of a defined pitch or the symbol used to transcribe it. by defined i mean in reference to a musical scale...

scale - a set of notes that go together well, e.g. the keys on a piano are in the chromatic scale, where the notes are each tuned to a specific pitch so that they make sense when played together.

melody - a series of notes that make a pleasing little dance together. ever hum a catchy tune? that's the melody.

chord - 3 or more notes played at once.

key - a single note thats used in a piece of music as an anchor for everything else. its like shorthand for a set of relationships between the notes; by giving a key the composer is stating there are certain notes that will be played and certain notes that won't.

harmony - instruments or vocalists playing or singing different notes at the same time and it goes together well.

DJ PIMP

luka baby if you ever feel compelled to corrupt your mind with the conventions of music theory a great place to start is the Ravenspiral guide:

It's a music theory guide geared towards people making electronic dance music, and accordingly there's no traditional musical notation to be found in it anywhere. It covers melodies, intervals, harmonies and chord progressions with a few interesting sidetracks along the way.

http://www.ravenspiral.com/ravenspiralguide.pdf

any kind of synth keyboard will be a mega bonus in the cognitive process.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
'Scale'? 'Melody'? 'Notes'? What is this, the 19th century? It's all about the NUUM, baby!

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
in a broader context, music is anything sonic and all the better for it. I'm so bored, over the years, with this "it's not music" cry. Who cares if it's 'music' as you understand it, it's some kind of performance/artistic expression mediated through sound, get over it people.