wasted voices, wasted talents, what a waste: Seal and who else?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
A little new thread from Ness:

A wasted voice: Seal - aka Sealhenry Samuel.
I love the bloke's voice.
But his current output sounds like something George Michael threw away
(judging by his last album which is available as a feed online - Seal lives
in the US, you can tell - his album is simply called "IV").

"Killer" with Adamski, a decent first album and then seemingly it all went
shite (well - I guess that's like the old "where did it all go wrong" George Best/Miss World story
- Seal is seeing some supermodel or other).

I would like to hear Seal's voice on something good.

There's probably an endless list of heavy metal guitarists who use
their talents on not-so-good music - but who are the other Wasted Talents?

Rambler

Awanturnik
What ever happened to David McAlmont? I thought he had a stunning voice - hope it's getting used somewhere.

mms

sometimes
what ever happened to macy gray?
she did that one good song and had an awesome voice and a mad character.
also terence trent d'arby fucking hell that man was talented, screwed it up with the pretentious (but at times really good) second album, still does tunes but has changed his name to :http://www.sanandamaitreya.com/

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Having recorded Future Love Paradise, Seal can just take the rest of his life off.

One could argue that Mark E Smith's voice is a bit wasted these days. But again, having recorded New Puritan, The Classical, and British Grenadiers, he too can just take the rest of his life off.

mms

sometimes
redcrescent said:
Whitney Houston. A case study in wasted talent.

absolutley, and i've a theory that the ott warbling at the end of ever line she has been doing for a while is a symptom of her conciousness of this, as well as the addictions.
every other would be soul diva has taken on warbling in an attempt to imitate one of the more obvious traits of her greater talent.

redcrescent

mms said:
absolutley, and i've a theory that the ott warbling at the end of ever line she has been doing for a while is a symptom of her conciousness of this, as well as the addictions.
every other would be soul diva has taken on warbling in an attempt to imitate one of the more obvious traits of her greater talent.
I completely agree with your theory! Very well put indeed. For o.t.t. warbling at the end of *every single phrase* as a surrogate for true soulfulness, see Madonna, too. Not a soul diva by any means (some good stuff and some very good songwriters on the early albums, tho'!) but she cannot sing a phrase that doesn't end in a horrible warble/vibrato.

(Back to Whitney a sec': I still think that if someone gave her a decent set of good songs and let her soar she would pulverize most other singers. She has the best voice of her generation --easily, hands down, no contest-- and squanders it by slaving over the most anodyne pap you've ever heard.)

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Bob Smith

Robert Smith?

i always thought he was gonna be the Tom Waits of England,.............but i woz wrong it was Robert Wyatt.

My esteem for him lowers day to day. it's as if all the creativity has been sucked out. Those mid 80s b-sides hinted at something really ace and then what happened? (hear 'new day' )

mms

sometimes
redcrescent said:
I completely agree with your theory! Very well put indeed. For o.t.t. warbling at the end of *every single phrase* as a surrogate for true soulfulness, see Madonna, too. Not a soul diva by any means (some good stuff and some very good songwriters on the early albums, tho'!) but she cannot sing a phrase that doesn't end in a horrible warble/vibrato.

(Back to Whitney a sec': I still think that if someone gave her a decent set of good songs and let her soar she would pulverize most other singers. She has the best voice of her generation --easily, hands down, no contest-- and squanders it by slaving over the most anodyne pap you've ever heard.)

yes she has true soul and the warbling is like some horrible 'soul tick'. unfortunatley it's become such a trademark that the tick has been copied and not the amazing voice by lesser possible big sellers.

i wanna dance with somebody is still lush and she was incredibly gorgeous in that vid too.