the concept of "cheesy"

zhao

there are no accidents
what does it mean when people say something sounds "cheesy"? what are the definitions of the word? (applied to music obviously)

one of the qualities it refers to is expression of "genuine" feeling. for instance a R'n'B love song can be seen by some to be "cheesy". I'm sure loads of kids think Louis Armstrong's sweet, sweet ballads are "cheesy". i don't, at all. when i hear his voice i feel it straight, without any irony what so ever. but I do think Celion Dion is cheesy.

but why is "genuine feeling" considered cheesy? ever? is it because "bad" (as in not good) artists have cheapened it? too much indulgent, unreflexive, "fake" heart tugging, tear jerking; so that even when faced with "real" emotional content we think it's cheesy?

at times it has something to do with cultural age, like Louis Armstrong. or Marvyn Gaye or Bryan Ferry or Leonard Cohen, or, for that matter, Franz Schubert. so maybe a kind of expression i guess becomes so over used and loaded that many of the younger generations can no longer take it seriously. unless they really give it a chance, and "enter" the work; after which they see the substance and are able to overcome the initial "cheesy" feeling -- i like Bryan Ferry now, but when my ex first played him i thought it was the cheesiest 80s pop ever.

also something to do with personal age: seems that when i was younger i thought a lot of things were cheesy, like jazz for instance. so as time goes on less things sound cheesy to me, and I'm able to appreciate more things on deeper levels -- same for you or no?

what is the relationship of "cheesy" to irony? a friend remarked once that what makes "great" pop music "great" is that no matter how familiar it is, when it comes on at a club, all the irony just evaporates and people respond to it straight. he cited "billy Jean" as an example.

another quality is "kitsch", "cheap" or "common place" or "generic". and here I'm thinking of hand-bag house. but it's more than these descriptors... can't really put my finger on it. what makes cheesy house cheesy and Luomo's "Vocal City" not cheesy? is it about "depth"? or subtle layers which are more than meets the eye? or maybe Luomo IS cheesy (definitely the later albums), but Vocal City is more than that. maybe it plays with the idea of kitsch, but ultimately have another aim. I still often have a hard time with diva vocals, in house, in garage, in niche, in jungle. sorry but it makes my skin crawl.

and "cheesy" often does not translate cross cultural lines. for instance a kizomba track came on, no not the overly sweet cheap kind, one that has real depth of feeling for me, and my German friend said that it is very cheesy. i think black culture has a very different concept of cheesy than white culture. i don't think black people at R'n'B clubs think it's cheesy at all -- it is very real emotion to them, while to many whites it sounds cheesy. and of course many examples of the reverse... somehow can't think of any at the moment though...

i'm thinking about "cheesy" in relation to an "inability to feel or empathize", which may be increasing in our culture? I mean many expressions of "genuine feeling" in music just sounds fucking horribly cheesy these days. does it not? Jack Johnson. Elliott Smith. just fucking shoot me. now, please. but it doesn't to all those indie kids. very strange. so is it increasingly more difficult to express real feelings without sounding cheesy? compared to, say, 1962? (random year, have no example in mind)

anyhow, i need to think more about it... though really don't know if any of this meandering shit is of any interest outside of my own mind, outside of this hour. maybe tomorrow i will ask a mod to delete this post.

Last edited:

doom

Public Housing
people write stuff off as cheesy, and maintain ironic distances, when they are concerned about 'what will the nieghbours say' or more directally, what their peers will think of them for connecting with something true and direct.

once something is vetted, okayed by your peers its ok to like it, connect with it, ironic distances being maintained as a fire escape 'I'm just taking the piss'

Meaning some-thing, saying what you feel, being honest with yourself and the world requires a huge risk, if the arse end falls out of the market and you find yourself heavily invested in the wrong currancy you run the risk of social bankruptcy...

nomos

Administrator
utterly spot on, doom.

if i never hear this term again it'll be too soon - "it's awesome because it's so cheesy" etc. :mad: have some conviction ffs!

Last edited:

doom

Public Housing
ARrgh! Yass yass, I just wish I didnt have to witness it first hand so bloody much!

Part ofit I think is everyones so afraid of being 'duped' like there is somthing to be ashamed of in being excited about things, in connecting...

Its music, you're betraying yourself trying to 2nd guess everything, everyones intent & motives,

hustlers of the world unite - there is only one mark you cannot beat...

Well there's another way to use it though... in a completely negative sense.
ie. trance with big snare rushes is cheesy shit.
snare rushes are just cheesy.

whereas something like, say, madonna's first LP or depeche mode's, i would not dream of describing as cheesy cos they are both just great albums.

for me cheesy is purely a diss.

i am not ironic :)

"it's awesome because it's so cheesy" etc. have some conviction ffs!
yeah i would not respect someone who said this.

once something is vetted, okayed by your peers its ok to like it, connect with it, ironic distances being maintained as a fire escape 'I'm just taking the piss'

bloody hell i'd hate to hang around with the people you have to.
i mean can't you just not talk to silly people who act like that?
is it that common?

maybe it's cos i'm 35 and the people you are talking about are 15? sincere question...

doom

Public Housing
15 - 25, makes little differance, most people dont change much after 18/21 Ive found, and thats prob creeping down... so 15 yh.

And I talk to co-workers/silly people as little as possible trust me, its just they do out number the alternatives by a huge amount.

The average australian will listen to the same 6 cds they were excited by at age 15-18 for the rest of their lives, by age 27 most of my friends fall into this category sadly.

A huge amount of my peers seem to listen to the same music their parents listened to, the sign of a decaying culture I'm sure.

I work with a girl that is 5 years younger than me, smart/articulate, at uni etc. Her fav. artist is Bon Jovi.

DJ PIMP

Celine Dion... DIE SATAN DIE DIE DIE

I can't think of anyone who has ever given me such a strong physical reaction. I only have to see a video and my stomach clenches, my mouth becomes weirdly clammy and I commence grinding my teeth, a volcano like hostility building in my chest.

She is nightmarishly horrible.

Last edited:
In answer to zhao's thread starter, i think genuine emotion is never cheesy, fake emotion is always cheesy.

reality=lush, fakeness=pimping

minnie ripperton, a bit out of tune but so warm and human = not cheesy
any pop r&b singer singing 24 different notes up n down around the melody because she has the ability to do it but not imparting any feeling= cheese

i think using obvious signifiers instead of trying to express YOURSELF is cheesy.
so there are certain rock ballad chords that say "moody" but aren't really, certain techno sounds or snare fills that say "uplifting" but aren't really.... doing music by numbers, to a template, within a genre is cheesy.

originality, emotion, striving for self-expression: not cheesy

zhao

there are no accidents
Celine Dion... DIE SATAN DIE DIE DIE

I can't think of anyone who has ever given me such a strong physical reaction. I only have to see a video and my stomach clenches, my mouth becomes weirdly clammy and I commence grinding my teeth, a volcano like hostility building in my chest.

She is nightmarishly horrible.

one of the first gigs i played ever almost 10 years ago now i did a Dion/Merzbow mash-up :D as prelude to Panacea type Dark-Step. and later i also mashed Britney and Boredoms... (to an almost empty theater space) not sure if it worked entirely or if my intention came across.

was very weirded out by that MIA interview where she was talking about hanging out with Timbaland, and him being all "into Celion Dion now". that has to be a joke. right? right????

like what people are saying. doom/nomos: is it possible though that something is indeed "so awesome because it's so cheesy"? where the only merit is an ironic laugh for pure kicks.

genuine emotion is never cheesy, fake emotion is always cheesy.

reality=lush, fakeness=pimping

minnie ripperton, a bit out of tune but so warm and human = not cheesy
any pop r&b singer singing 24 different notes up n down around the melody because she has the ability to do it but not imparting any feeling= cheese

i think using obvious signifiers instead of trying to express YOURSELF is cheesy.
so there are certain rock ballad chords that say "moody" but aren't really, certain techno sounds or snare fills that say "uplifting" but aren't really.... doing music by numbers, to a template, within a genre is cheesy.

originality, emotion, striving for self-expression: not cheesy

i like these definitions.

mms

sometimes
is genuine emotion considered cheesy, i guess it is, people at my work seem to baulk at stuff that's fun or honestly and simply expressed i guess, try playing some disco in my office and it's uproar. I find that stuff like radiohead pretty horrible in return, neurotic and overindulgent, i'd prefer to listen to the buzzcocks some funk or soul or some hip hop or something like that for that buzz, neurotic but underindulgent.
I like alot of that kind of disco stuff etc as it's people trying to have a good time, when it's a little difficult to have a good time.
I don't understand people who laugh at pop. i don't understand people who describe music as gay as well as a way of saying it's bad.

as ed says there is loads of music that signifies emotion and falls way short.
i think cheesy is cheapened emotion really, like limp biskit style wining or warbling divas, 50 cent moaning about how a lady wouldn't love him if he wasn't rich etc.
Still i find clouds across the moon by the rah band a really gorgeous and heart wrenching song.

Last edited:

bnek

agree with the sentiment in this thread, although most people i know would probably say they enjoy 'cheesy' music...
personally i take much more offence when the music i like is dismissed as 'easy listening'/elevator music/music that plays in a hotel lobby etc. basically anything w/out lyrics, anything that sounds 'old' (ie. pre 1960's), and especially anything w/ alot of piano (i love some jazz trio's, like ahmad jamal & more recently herbie nichols - this is what really gets people worked up) gets labelled as such - and it drived me nuts!

zhao

there are no accidents
I like alot of that kind of disco stuff etc as it's people trying to have a good time, when it's a little difficult to have a good time.

nice. i likely will use this without giving credit sometime in the next month.

I don't understand people who laugh at pop.

this is just juvenile - people stuck in their "alternative" = "cool" phase. which is, pardon the stupid-speak but is appropriate here, SO FUCKING GAY. there are 2 songs off of Justin Timberlake's last one that i would drop pretty much any time without irony. fuck what the poseurs think.

personally i take much more offence when the music i like is dismissed as 'easy listening'/elevator music/music that plays in a hotel lobby etc.

anecdote: one of my favorite things to do in the office, when i used to work at design firms, is put on the quietest, most subtle, barely there lower-case improvisation at a reasonable or even kinda high volumes. but the music is just little hums and tiny scrapes and buzzing or whatever. i don't think anyone ever took notice even though to me it's audible from even half way across the room! used to derive massive satisfaction from this. :D yes i'm a geek i know.

zhao

there are no accidents
oh and other good examples of cultural differences: most westerners or uninitiates probably find most Bhangra or Soca or High-Life cheesy. i know i did before i got into it. just didn't get it, and not emotionally mature enough to handle the JOY THE REAL JUMP UP AND DOWN HAPPY PARTY FUCKING JOY.

mms

sometimes
anecdote: one of my favorite things to do in the office, when i used to work at design firms, is put on the quietest, most subtle, barely there lower-case improvisation at a reasonable or even kinda high volumes. but the music is just little hums and tiny scrapes and buzzing or whatever. i don't think anyone ever took notice even though to me it's audible from even half way across the room! used to derive massive satisfaction from this. :D yes i'm a geek i know.

quite often when i've done that it's so barely audible it gets turned off!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I think it's often about things that are influenced by musicals as well - certainly in Dion's case - and nowadays all that - 'old-fashioned' - musical, Rogers and Hammerstein, Andrew Lloyd Webber type expressions - and I think there are certain key changes involved, certain singing styles - are very much out of favour amongst a certain social class, and very much IN favour when you get beyond a certain echelon of society. Y'know, Las Vegas is seen as cheesy, but it's also the ultimate accolade to be asked to play there.

zhao

there are no accidents
quite often when i've done that it's so barely audible it gets turned off!

no no you don't TELL them you are putting something on! sorry i should have specified... it's about sabotaging public space in a subconscious way

zhao

there are no accidents
I think it's often about things that are influenced by musicals as well - certainly in Dion's case - and nowadays all that - 'old-fashioned' - musical, Rogers and Hammerstein, Andrew Lloyd Webber type expressions - and I think there are certain key changes involved, certain singing styles - are very much out of favour amongst a certain social class, and very much IN favour when you get beyond a certain echelon of society. Y'know, Las Vegas is seen as cheesy, but it's also the ultimate accolade to be asked to play there.

that's a whole other can of worms... but yeah i've always wondered about gays and musicals, what's the deal? i mean the only women who like musicals are older housewives. why do fit young men in their prime often share musical enthusiasm with fat, over the hill ladies? it's about "camp", right? something else i doubt i'll ever understand, much less acquire a taste for. i wish i could remember the author of that essay about camp vs. irony... or i should just have a sit down with john waters, i bet he could clear things up for me nicely.

mms

sometimes
that's a whole other can of worms... but yeah i've always wondered about gays and musicals, what's the deal? i mean the only women who like musicals are older housewives. why do fit young men in their prime often share musical enthusiasm with fat, over the hill ladies? it's about "camp", right? something else i doubt i'll ever understand, much less acquire a taste for. i wish i could remember the author of that essay about camp vs. irony... or i should just have a sit down with john waters, i bet he could clear things up for me nicely.

very posh girls like musicals too, there were two posh girls at my uni years ago who became friends over musicals. The type of girls who had haircuts like princess di, wore expensive jumpers with spotted dogs on them with no irony and will look exactly the same all their lives.

anyway, some quite hip music seems to be informed by musicals at the moment, joanna newsom and grizzly bear spring to mind.