the role of blogs in the rise of grime

luka

i sometimes wonder how big i role the blogs played. there was a time when if you googled any grime artist you would pretty much just come up with a few blogs. even rwd at the time weren't really doing grime, certainly not the forums. i remember arguing for a dedicated grime forum cos anytime you tried to discuss it there youd get shouted down by people who loved up grant nelson. some of the artists must have been aware of the blogs. just cos they must have googled themselves on occasioun.

maybe grime wouldn't have got the hipster taint if it werent for the blogs. maybe they done more harm than good.

what you lot think>??

Blackdown

nexKeysound
to me, i think the role blogs played was getting the sound to a certain audience, ie not just other bloggers but people who tend to gravitate to blog-style editorial. (not sure there's one term for this, be it hipsters in the US or an equivalent here). but blogs certainly helped build grime another audience, away from its core foundation ie those participating in it.

can we have a thread called 'the role of Deuce mag (RIP) in the rise of grime' too? ;)

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
One of Grime's main problems was it's lack of exposure. More blogs would've been a blessing. That median has the ability to take music across cultural lines and continents.

The attitude of Grime artists was too inward drawn. Being a DJ who tried pushing grime in the states(and still plays it) this became the deciding factor in it's success.

S

simon silverdollar

i think messageboards were much more important than blogs in getting hipsters into grime. not many people read blogs, really. but ILM was very important in raising grime's profile in 2002-2004.

still, i think people will get into UK underground music without much being written about it- look at bassline house. aside from continuum's blog and the odd post on lower end spasm, there's not much written about it, yet it's still massively hyped.