Dart's Top 50 G.O.A.T. Emcees List (As Of February 2008)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm more intrigued by this:

prodigy_final.jpg

I thought he was going to jail for possession of a firearm?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
No Lil Wayne, no Bun B/UGK, no Devin The Dude, no E-40, no Too $hort, no Cee-Lo... the list of people neglected here goes on and on. Also, how can you have Andre 3000 in this list and no mention of Big Boi? Boi is a way better rapper than Dre. Where Dre plays the part of the flamboyant, crazy genius — an act that has a lot of people convinced, but wrongly all the same — Boi just gets on with the job of being good. His bars are tighter, his productions are way fresher. He's just more understated and demands that you actually listen to him, rather than taking him at face value.

Last edited:

crackerjack

No Lil Wayne, no Bun B/UGK, no Devin The Dude, no E-40, no Too $hort, no Cee-Lo... the list of people neglected here goes on and on. Also, how can you have Andre 3000 in this list and no mention of Big Boi? Boi is a way better rapper than Dre. Where Dre plays the part of the flamboyant, crazy genius — an act that has a lot of people convinced, but wrongly all the same — Boi just gets on with the job of being good. His bars are tighter, his productions are way fresher. He's just more understated and demands that you actually listen to him, rather than taking him at face value.

Big Boi is way underrated, as he proved with Speakerboxx. But there's a lot more to Andre than acting.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
oh yeah, dre is great. i'm not hating on him in any way, i just think that big boi really is the real foundation of outkast — a valuable steadying influence on dre's ego — and a massively underrated artist in his own right. it's not really an either or thing for me as neither is as good without the other; something speakerboxxx/the love below also showed. i just don't think you can include dre *without* including big boi

zhao

there are no accidents
i've honestly NEVER felt jay-z. ever. just don't like any of his music. I'm glad Kanye is not on there. charm and cleverness and political consciousness aside, i find almost nothing of value in his records.

pac comes in at 50??? :confused:

nomos

Administrator
RAMM:ELL:ZEE !

I am I the only person in the world who can't understand the cult of Biggie? To me he always sounded like he'd just climbed 10 flights of stairs and forgotten his rhyme book at the bottom.

crackerjack

RAMM:ELL:ZEE !

I am I the only person in the world who can't understand the cult of Biggie? To me he always sounded like he'd just climbed 10 flights of stairs and forgotten his rhyme book at the bottom.

That's true of the 2nd album, but Ready To Die is the sound of a natural born MC at the top of his game.

Now moan about the (death) cult of 2pac, and we can start talking.

nomos

Administrator
Dunno, I've thought that since I got a promo for the first album. We used to put it on for laughs. And we were steeped in the stuff at the time, it wasn't like we didn't have anything to compare it to. Just seemed like a shit direction for the music to go in.

You can all start throwing your glass bottles and rotten fruit now :p

... RAMM:ELL:ZEE ...

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
ready to die is one of the finest hip hop albums of all time, there's no way that anyone who likes hip-hop can't find this a compelling and frequently astounding record. sure, he was a pretty awful man and revolting in many ways, but at his best he was one of the world's best MCs