But the craziest people of them ALL

Jaie Miller

Are those African church leaders...'NOW BRING ME THE BLOOD OF THE MONKEY!!!' 'GOOO!!'

I just think it's ironic:

Any nominations for crazy people?

dHarry

Weird that the wikipedia page doesn't mentioned D+G at all.

In the Freud's Interpretation section:
Freud thought that Schreber wanted to be turned into a woman so that he could be the sole object of sexual desire of God (who represented Schreber's father, Daniel Gottlob Moritz Schreber). This view has been contested by a number of subsequent theorists, most famously Gilles Deleuze and Félix Guattari in their work Anti-Oedipus and elsewhere. Their reading of Schreber's Memoirs foregrounds the political and racial elements of the text; they see Schreber's written experience of reality abnormal only in its honesty about the experience of power in late capitalism.

vimothy

yurp
Ahh... Judge Schreber doesn't seem that crazy compared to some of the wacky interpretations of his pathology: "Freud thought that Schreber wanted to be turned into a woman so that he could be the sole object of sexual desire of God".

Anyone remember that Klein story, telling a playing child that "the train is Daddy, the tunnel is Mummy"? Psychoanalysts crack me up!

Actually psychoanalysts would probably make a pretty interesting sub-group of crazy people...

swears

preppy-kei
Regularly, Schreber would expose his body to his doctors, asking them to look at his "almost female breasts." One of the medical reports states that he "now and then engages in quite trivial dalliances" and can be found "often naked in his room, laughing and yelling in front of a mirror, adorned with colorful ribbons."

Add Burzum as the soundtrack and that's just a typical night in for vimothy ;)

If you haven't read Memoirs of My Nervous Illness it's well worth having a look at.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Add Burzum as the soundtrack and that's just a typical night in for vimothy ;)

Hahaha. :)

As far as sects go, I'd like to nominate those Kabbollocks weirdos that Madonna is mixed up with. Although they're perhaps not all that crazy, as such, just dedicated to ripping people off with a zeal rare outside, ooh, the Church of Scientology. They score extra points for pissing of religious Jews by (mis)using the Torah as the 'basis' of their zany new-age tripe.

swears

preppy-kei
My friend's brother worked as a psychiatric nurse and has all kinds of interesting stories about the patients:

One young man thought that Arnold Schwarzenegger was his dad and that all his film roles were real and that he was coming to take him away to the Mars base in Total Recall.

Another could do really accurate impressions and wound all the staff up by mimicing their voices all day, didn't actually ever speak in his own voice.

A compulsive masturbator who would just whip it out anywhere as if nobody was watching, totally oblivious. Got transferred after he started in front of visitors to the ward, including some children. (This is quite common, apparently.)

Sixteen year old lad convinced his entire life was virtual reality. Actually came up with some good philosophical arguments as to why this was the case. My mate's brother found him really interesting to talk to, and was sort of sorry when he recovered.

swears

preppy-kei
There are some quite common delusions, aren't there?

Believing you're jesus

That you've invented some sort of device/come up with a scientific theory that will change the world

That you have things implanted in your body like tracking devices/microchips

That aliens are in contact with you

That the world is ending, often involving some kind of interpretation of the book of revelations

The imagination needed to to sustain some of these fantasies is quite impressive.

swears

preppy-kei
Fuelled by the gnawing existential terror that you are, in fact, a perfectly ordinary, boring person.

Yup. I think this is why so many celebs go nuts and/or join wacky cults.

vimothy

yurp
Hahaha. :)

As far as sects go, I'd like to nominate those Kabbollocks weirdos that Madonna is mixed up with. Although they're perhaps not all that crazy, as such, just dedicated to ripping people off with a zeal rare outside, ooh, the Church of Scientology. They score extra points for pissing of religious Jews by (mis)using the Torah as the 'basis' of their zany new-age tripe.

The CoS also has its roots in the New Age-esque QBL of Crowley and the OTO.

Did anyone see the programme where someone secretly filmed members of the CoS recommending £100 bottles of water as a cure for cancer?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Did anyone see the programme where someone secretly filmed members of the CoS recommending £100 bottles of water as a cure for cancer?

No, but I've seen the exact same thing on a programme about Kabballah.

It's fucking disgusting. Ripping off rich Holywood idiots who'll swallow any rubbish to try and cover up the emptiness inside is one thing - in fact I'm not sure it shouldn't be actively encouraged - but preying on vulnerable, desperate people with incurable illnesses is just vile. Lock 'em up and through away the key (or better still, stick 'em in a volcano and drop a few H-bombs for good measure).

Last edited: