Dart's Top 50 G.O.A.T. Hip Hop Groups List (As Of February 2008)

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Nope...

UGK aren't there.....you're gonna get in the neck from someone on here.... ;)

UGK topped out in the late 50's. The Beastie Boys feel out in the early 50's as well and Salt N' Pepa was way down the list. No Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples, Smif N' Wessun, Heltah Skeltah, Latryx or X Clan, either.

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Fat Boys and Kid N' Play

Just wait for the 50 Greatest Hip Hop Haircuts

Uhh...you guys are aware that GREATEST encompasses much more than just talent and/or skill, right? The Fat Boys were among the first major superstar groups in Hip Hop history and they helped bring Hip Hop to the masses. They sold Gold and Platinum in an era where most people thought Hip Hop/Rap music was a damn fad. They appeared in the movies "Krush Groove" and became so popular that Hollywood made them their own vehicle called "Disorderlies" back in the days. Their first 3 or 4 albums went Gold or Platinum and they started to go into decline during the 1st Golden Era (1986-1989) after they released their last "great" album "Crushin'" in 1986. They used to headline the Fresh Fest with Run DMC and Whodini! What more did they need to do? Due to their lack of skill and reliance on being fat their career waned.

Kid N' Play were EASILY one of the most important Hip Hop Groups from 1987-1993 starting with their first smash underground hit "Last Night" and then with their albums "2 Hype", "Funhouse" and "Face The Nation" they sold mad units, broke into the world of film with the "House Party" franchise. These cats had a cartoon on for two seasons and a goddamn Marvel comic book! Without the Fat Boys and Kid N' Play introducing Hip Hop to a wider audience it wouldn't have become the worldwide culture it is now.

One.

mms

sometimes
they were... well... entertaining i spose :slanted:

kid n play?

fat boys - first lp amazing
bashful and playful lyrics and comedy unlike anything else in hip hop ever
one of the most amazing human beat boxes of all time.

kid n play - 'last night' and of course intro to the masses with house party and introducing those haircuts to the world.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
On the correct thread now...

How long did the list take? And why are Black Moon below PRT (genuine questions, not rhetorical)?

Due to their lack of skill and reliance on being fat their career waned.

this really made me laugh :D

yes...sure...you're judging this by the same kind of criteria people usually apply to these lists etc. to try and get beyond pure subjectivity but that results in a bunch of shitty music being included, at least in my opinion. popularity is always a tricky criterion to include. the idea that kid n play made good ambassadors for hip hop is a hard one to swallow- from an outsider's perspective. musically they were appalling from start to finish. you might as well stick twin hype in there.

this means puff daddy is going to make the producers list :mad:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Here I am.

How long did the list take? And why are Black Moon below PRT (genuine questions, not rhetorical)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STN

Without Poor Righteous Teachers ever coming out, there would NEVER have been a Black Moon (at least not the Black Moon we all know and love). PRT was one of the first crews to infuse Reggae with 5% lessons and they often produced their own material (along with Tony D.). They also made some of the best albums of any Hip Hop era ("Holy Intellect", "Pure Poverty", "Black Business" and "New World Order") during their run. PRT's influence was heavy on many up and coming crews, one being Black Moon and also Smif N' Wessun and Heltah Skeltah.

Black Moon also broke up and got back together a few times after S Ft. went to jail and they broke away from Nervous Records. Had The Beatminerz and Duck Down never had a falling out and Black Moon recorded their albums without the long pause they could've been higher up. PRT dominated their era (which was slighty more competitive) and the were a direct influence on Black Moon so there's your answer.

The list took me about 3 days of work to do and the all top out at #100.

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Nope!

this really made me laugh :D

yes...sure...you're judging this by the same kind of criteria people usually apply to these lists etc. to try and get beyond pure subjectivity but that results in a bunch of shitty music being included, at least in my opinion. popularity is always a tricky criterion to include. the idea that kid n play made good ambassadors for hip hop is a hard one to swallow- from an outsider's perspective. musically they were appalling from start to finish. you might as well stick twin hype in there.

this means puff daddy is going to make the producers list :mad:

Sean "Diddy" Combs has never touched an ASR 10, EPS 16, SP 12/1200, MPC2000/3000 in his entire life. He turns knobs, suggests what songs to flip, etc. but he will NOT be on the Top 50 producers list. It's bad enough that I might not be able to keep Jermaine Dupri or Swizz Beatz out.

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
*Change* The Beastie Boys are in at #40.

After some long deliberation and a full day of arguing with several other of my readers we went back and forth about why I left the Beasties off (#52) if the Top 50. I went back and checked some stuff and realized that while the Beastie Boys had been pretty much ignored by Hip Hop heads somewhere between Paul's Boutique and Hello Nasty depending on who you ask they syill introduced Hip Hop to so many fans worldwide (my exact argument for The Fat Boys and Kid N' Play above) that they should be included in the Top 50. They are now at #40 tied with The Pharcyde.

One.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
By dint of introducing hip-hop to countless people who otherwise would have never listened to it, surely the Beasties should be almost at the top, given your criteria? (Genuine observation rather than a dig)

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
However...

By dint of introducing hip-hop to countless people who otherwise would have never listened to it, surely the Beasties should be almost at the top, given your criteria? (Genuine observation rather than a dig)

That was just one of about 10 different factors that I used. Based on that one, influence, style, longevity and quality of discography they were moved up 12 spots from #52 to a tie at #40.

One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Nope!

LOL!

What happened, did they go on a diet?

No, but Heavy D, Chubb Rock, B Fats and several other overweight rappers came out with superior skills and rhyming ability and they never rapped about being fat or food. The Fat Boys had gone to the well too many times and hearing them rap about being fat was tired. Plus they had completely "sold out" in Rap fans eyes by doing the songs "Wipe Out" with The Beach Boys and "The Twist" with Chubby Checker. They lost much of their audience that same year.

One.

That was just one of about 10 different factors that I used. Based on that one, influence, style, longevity and quality of discography

my guess is you've scored all these out of ten or something, which means just a bit of hunting for appropriate photographs and you could easily spin this into a set of hip hop top trumps.