Recording phne interviews - what do I need?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
It looks like I need to do some phone interviews for WOOFAH and I don't think making a load of notes will help me get lengthy verbatim quotes. I'm sure lots of you do this regularly - what do you use? And is there a way to record off a mobile?

thanks in advance

Paul

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I have a hand-free headset type device with an output that I plug into a digital recorder. If you already have the recorder, then getting the headset shouldn't be too hard, although I CANNOT think of what the technical name of it is! I asked a guy at Radio Shack and he knew what I needed. Cost less than $20 if I recall.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
CPR-1.gif

Looks like that a bit. Although that site is selling it for $179. Must do more than record phone conversations -- maybe it makes you breakfast in the morning too?

crackerjack

Olympus Voice Recorder with a separate microphone earpiece. Get em from Tottenham Court Rd for approx £60 and £20 respectively. The OVR comes with a CD so you can upload interviews (much much quicker to transcribe that way) and keep em too.

D

droid

I have a little phone tap that plugs in between the handset and the phone. Cost a few quid.

Skype is the way to go though - you can record the interview onto your computer at the same time that way...

tom pr

Mine just has an option to record yr convo- i think most mobiles have them now.

Problem with that is that the recorded conversations seem to be the only files on my phone it then won't let my transfer onto my computer, and you can't ffwd/rwd when you're playing them off it. So I just play it into a regular dictaphone.

crackerjack

Mine just has an option to record yr convo- i think most mobiles have them now.

Problem with that is that the recorded conversations seem to be the only files on my phone it then won't let my transfer onto my computer, and you can't ffwd/rwd when you're playing them off it. So I just play it into a regular dictaphone.

What kind of memory does your phone have for voice recordings though? I tried that once - lasted about a minute.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Thanks for the help people.

Irritatingly my phone will only record for a minute! Need to get 3rd party software for unlimited recording :(.

Will get one of those funny plugs that connects your phone at one end and your computer at the other.

And probably a little digital recorder as well!

Ach!

Turd on the Run
If you have a phone with a 3.5mm jack output, you can plug that into the Audio In of your PC, plug a pair of headphones into the Audio Out of your PC, then just speak into the mobile's mouthpiece mic as normal, while recording it with soundforge or something. I guess this is dependent on your phone having a jack output, but a lot of the more recent Nokias do: N91, N95, N81 and I think a few others.

vimothy

yurp
I have a little phone tap that plugs in between the handset and the phone. Cost a few quid.

Skype is the way to go though - you can record the interview onto your computer at the same time that way...

Yeah, download Skype Recorder for $20. We do loads of interviewing at work and this is by far the easiest and most clear method.

http://www.skyperec.com/

ripley

skype & wiretap or other recorder. free, decent quality.

Transcriva is mac-friendly software that helps you transcribe, too. It doesn't do it for you but it adds enough features that transcription & note-taking tagged to the audio file (if I remember right) are possible. the free version is a bit annoying but do-able

http://www.bartastechnologies.com/products/transcriva/